Sign in with
Your question

What causes a lost wireless printer connection?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 29, 2012 3:06:06 PM

An HP1102w printer was purchased 5 months ago and it almost weekly loses its connection with my two computers (Win XP and Win Vista). The only solution I have is to uninstall and then reinstall the drivers using a USB cable (called a smart install option) . This is not a satisfactory solution. Is there something easy that can be done to resolve this when it occurs? The printer is never turned off and is the default printer and in an 'online' status. The computers are turned on and off periodically. The wireless router is always left on.
I wonder if my experience is a common one? Hopefully someone will know a solution to this.
Thank you,
Sean
December 31, 2012 12:17:02 PM

Thoughtful6 said:
An HP1102w printer was purchased 5 months ago and it almost weekly loses its connection with my two computers (Win XP and Win Vista). The only solution I have is to uninstall and then reinstall the drivers using a USB cable (called a smart install option) . This is not a satisfactory solution. Is there something easy that can be done to resolve this when it occurs? The printer is never turned off and is the default printer and in an 'online' status. The computers are turned on and off periodically. The wireless router is always left on.
I wonder if my experience is a common one? Hopefully someone will know a solution to this.
Thank you,
Sean

This is Sean again. Here is more info.
The modem/router combo that we have is the Westel 7500. It is located in the kitchen and it is about 15-20 linear feet from the laptop and wireless printer.
A mobile landline phone is located immediately next to the Westel 7500 router/modem. Both phone and Westel 7500 share the same line by a splitter at the wall jack.
The wireless printer is a HP1102w.
8 feet from the wireless printer there is an Insigna 32” LED TV from which we listen to Pandora via our Blue Ray player which can connect wirelessly with the internet.
Insignia NS-32E320A13
Samsung Blue Ray Disc Player BD-E5700
Downstairs in the basement we have a wired HP inkjet 4200
The basement desktop computer is running with Windows Vista and has an external USB modem attached to it. The modem once in a while loses connectivity, but by simply unplugging and reconnecting it re-establishes the connection. It always has 4 of the 5 bars of connectivity.
The laptop is a business class HP running XP home.

I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers on Saturday to both computers. On Sunday morning, the connection was lost to the wireless printer for both computers. Internet was fine.
m
l
January 10, 2013 8:50:14 AM

I think I have solved the issue. I changed the channel to 1 from channel 6. I also changed the power setting. It was set to auto-sleep or something like that. I changed it to 'always on'. I have had no problems for 6 days.
m
l
!