Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Trying to install Windows 7 Off of a USB Drive

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 22, 2013 7:46:28 PM

First time computer builder here. I tried to make a budget friendly machine with OK Specs, and then progressively upgrade. The current specs are:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy (Black)

Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-I R2.0 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Pentium G620 (@2.6 GHz) w/ Stock intel fan

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (LP) 1600 MHz

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500

The first problem I had: Integrated graphics. Keep in mind I am a first time user and knew nothing about CMOS at the time. After looking around google for answers and having no luck, I decided to ask my friend who has built a few computers about my problem. He didn't exactly explain the problem. But he told me I Had to reset CMOS And sent me a video showing how to do so. After a few tries I Got it right and now I Can see what I am doing. And now came the hard part. Trying to boot windows off of a USB Drive. I Used an ISO File sent to me by a friend and used a program called "ISO to USB" To convert it onto my flashdrive. (A PNY 32 GB. Barely a week old.) It didn't work. Instead, the screen showed "Missing operating system" Confused and angry, I decided to plop the flash drive into this computer again. and I checked out the files. It showed up just like the regular windows 7 installation disk should. (Note that there is only one partition.) So I Deleted all of those files, renamed it, and tried again. This time, with Ubuntu Desktop 12.10. It didn't work either. So I Tried something new. I Followed the instructions on the Ubuntu website. ( http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/create-a-usb-stick-... ) And amazingly enough when I Went into the BIOS And clicked F8 (Boot menu) It worked. A Funny thing to bring up is that my flashdrive shows up twice on the boot menu. One as just "PNY 32GB" And once as "UEFI: PNY 32GB" The one with "UEFI" Never works. I have to use the one without it. I Was excited to use Ubuntu. I really enjoyed what I saw. But alas, I Had to return to windows. Due to the fact that my Wi-Fi adapter does not work with linux (I Tried WINE.) And ethernet is not an option for me. So I tried again. This time using uTorrent and the downloads from this tutorial: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/7850-Installin... And using the program Unetbootin. I spent all the money I had on the computer. I Can't afford a CD Drive, let alone Windows 7. And I Need to get this done ASAP, As coincidentally my laptop broke a few days ago! :pfff: 
January 22, 2013 7:58:59 PM

I take it this is not a legal copy of windows 7?
January 22, 2013 8:02:25 PM

I plan on using the Product key on my laptop. Which apparently keeps it legal.
Related resources
January 22, 2013 8:05:40 PM

Well first you will have to wipe and reformat your hard drive to NTFS

Then you might want to try extracting the files from the iso and saving them on the flash drive, insert the flash drive and make sure it is set to first boot device.

I also believe you will have better luck if you format your flash drive to fat32 before you copy the files to it
January 22, 2013 8:06:24 PM

tenaciousk said:
I take it this is not a legal copy of windows 7?

Oops. I forgot to mention that. I was going to install Linux on my Laptop, and just use the Windows product key on my laptop. Which keeps it legal.
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2013 8:08:21 PM

The key on your laptop is tied to the laptop and cannot legally be used elsewhere. You need a new copy of Windows 7, with key, for your new build.
January 22, 2013 8:13:49 PM

Ohh, so then it is not a legal copy, sorry. you will have to purchase a windows 7 key.
January 22, 2013 8:14:34 PM

tenaciousk said:
Well first you will have to wipe and reformat your hard drive to NTFS

Then you might want to try extracting the files from the iso and saving them on the flash drive, insert the flash drive and make sure it is set to first boot device.

I also believe you will have better luck if you format your flash drive to fat32 before you copy the files to it

ISO to USB Automatically extracts it to FAT32. And how do I go about reformatting my hard drive to NTFS?

Best solution

a c 372 $ Windows 7
January 22, 2013 8:14:41 PM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Windows 8 OEM is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...
January 22, 2013 8:16:05 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
The key on your laptop is tied to the laptop and cannot legally be used elsewhere. You need a new copy of Windows 7, with key, for your new build.

Oh. Okay.
January 22, 2013 8:18:30 PM

Best answer selected by Quentinjdpie.
a c 372 $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 12:09:07 AM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
!