visibility

it seems like I can sometimes only see creatures when they are 1 square
away from me. Other times I can all creatures in a room. Is there a
visibility factor at work here? I am trying to move back up in the
dungeon, but my pet seems to only go if it is standing on a square next
to me when I go up the stairs. So I want to make sure that my pet is
following me to the next set of stairs. My problem is that I take a
step or two and my pet "disappears" (no actual verbage on console) then
I have to wait a turn so it can move next to me so I can see him again.
This seems to mostly happen in the passageways.
3 answers Last reply
More about visibility

    bcr666 wrote:

    > it seems like I can sometimes only see creatures when they are 1 square
    > away from me. Other times I can all creatures in a room. Is there a
    > visibility factor at work here?

    That's darkness not visibility. Find a source of light
    or a magical light effect. Wand, spell, exhaustible
    lamp, inexhasutible lamp, inexhaustible glowing weapon.

    > I am trying to move back up in the
    > dungeon, but my pet seems to only go if it is standing on a square next
    > to me when I go up the stairs.

    That's correct.

    > So I want to make sure that my pet is
    > following me to the next set of stairs. My problem is that I take a
    > step or two and my pet "disappears" (no actual verbage on console) then
    > I have to wait a turn so it can move next to me so I can see him again.

    No hurry. When in doubt use a magic whistle.

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, bcr666 wrote:

    > it seems like I can sometimes only see creatures when they are 1 square
    > away from me. Other times I can all creatures in a room. Is there a
    > visibility factor at work here? I am trying to move back up in the
    > dungeon, but my pet seems to only go if it is standing on a square next
    > to me when I go up the stairs. So I want to make sure that my pet is
    > following me to the next set of stairs. My problem is that I take a
    > step or two and my pet "disappears" (no actual verbage on console) then
    > I have to wait a turn so it can move next to me so I can see him again.
    > This seems to mostly happen in the passageways.

    There is no light in passeways as well as in some rooms.
    And when there's no light, you can only see what's next to you.
    When there's light, you can see far, far away (even a lit area behind an
    unlit one, as you may have notice with rooms separated by a straight
    corridor).

    As already mentionned, there are lots of light source you may want to use
    in the dungeon.

    Yes, you're pet only follow you up/downstair if it's standing next to you
    when you go up/down (and can move, ie not paralysed, sleeping, eating or
    something else).

    --
    Hypocoristiquement,
    Jym.

    Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
    Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
    Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

    Jym wrote:
    > And when there's no light, you can only see what's next to you.

    Unless you have infravision - in that case you can also see monsters,
    that are further away (but not items).

    --
    If geiger counter does not click,
    the coffee, she is just not thick