Sign in with
Your question

if Intel owns Alpha/EV6,, then AMD????

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2001 9:58:22 PM

I guess all enthusiasts have already read about the rumours at the Inquirer about intel buying Alpha and the rest of the fun stuff from the Q.. I was just letting my imagination run loose... Now.. if intel has Alpha... La intella also has EV6 bus.. can it prevent AMD from continuing to use EV6 bus or atleast future versions (EV7 etc)

Anyone ready to make wild guesses

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by spectrerv on 06/23/01 06:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 23, 2001 10:07:28 PM

First off AMD would never use EV7, they'd use EV8 (newest and best).

And as long as AMD has baught/licenced rights to the EV6 bus, AMD can use ti no matter what. Future FSB protocol's like EV7 or EV8 IF owned all ownership is in Intel's hands, than Intel can forfit the right to liscense to AMD yes. But than again, doesn't AMD own the former division of Alpha who made the FSP Protocol, I beleieve it was a division from the company Digital. I may be wrong, someone else please fill us on here.

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2001 10:13:50 PM

AMD owns the division which designed the FSB protocol.. i don't think so but am not too sure... in any case.. i think the entire team is now under INTC
True that AMD has licensed EV6.. but now AMD will have to develop its own bus as well right 'cos there is no way in hell Intel is going to license EV7/8 to its competitor right !!!
Related resources
June 23, 2001 10:42:30 PM

why would Intel not license it to AMD?
making money off of your competitors is SO much fun...

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
June 24, 2001 3:56:53 AM

Intel cannot even stop AMD to use SSE (Athlon-4) or SSE2 if AMD wants to, so why do you think they can stop AMD to use EV bus?

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 24, 2001 7:34:29 AM

"Intel cannot stop.."

Well i think u are wrong on that account. Intel can do that. However it would be a foolish move as if AMD also supports **Intel's SSE-2** then the iSSE-2 is going to get famous. AMD is licensing SSE-2 from intel not because they are not capable of designing or implementing a better set that has SIMD double precision floating point stuff but because Intel is better at getting developers to use their version (marketing, excellent compilers etc) as is the case for SSE (PIII) vs 3DNow

But for EV6.. if Intel manages to prevent AMD from continuing to to use it.. AMD are in big trouble.. As all will agree.... EV6 is one of the reasons Athlon scales so well and it is also the reason why AthlonMP beats Xeon (Point to Point Vs shared). If AMD have to design a new bus... well that would make the scene much more interesting wouldn't it, especially with the P4 having an excellent 4x100 MHz Bus AGTL+

PIII + BX as sexy as huge t*ts
June 24, 2001 12:48:09 PM

got a link?

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!
June 24, 2001 3:06:03 PM

what youve heard is rumors... amd is more likely to buy it off... if it can find the funds... which with its recent success isnt too unlikely... intel would be critisised too much if they bought off alpha, i seriously doubt intel will get it...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
June 25, 2001 3:09:51 AM

Intel already lincense tech (SSE MMX SSE2) why not EVE 10.9.7.....The only part i want to know how can a foster work with EVE6
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2001 3:31:43 PM

>if Intel owns Alpha/EV6

Then maybe they'll finally get a decent FPU :smile:

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)
June 25, 2001 5:07:56 PM

Maybe that's why the Claw/SledgeHammers' release date is so late. Perhaps AMD is working on a new bus

Your Signature Sucks
June 25, 2001 8:46:13 PM

If Intel was smart (which they are not), they would license the bus to AMD. If they refuse, I am sure it would grab the attention of the FTC, even though they did approve this deal in the first place.

What I don't understand is why AMD didn't hop on to buy Alpha?
June 25, 2001 9:41:45 PM

I heard a rumor that amd would goto Socket 478... Image the war that could happen there.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
June 25, 2001 11:36:02 PM

Well, I guess we don't have to worry. According to online sources, AMD won't be using the EV6 bus for future processors anyway. They are moving to the new Numa bus. You can read it <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/24060103.htm" target="_new">here</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bgates2b on 06/25/01 07:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 26, 2001 12:24:32 AM

They have buy the set of instruction when you licensing something you must pay.The same goes for EVE6 (alpha) they sold there tech is the same that nvisia.
June 26, 2001 12:30:56 AM

They can if they want but i think they will sold it at big price or make you own in 1 month.SSE vs 3D NOW 3dnow have been release way after an SSE 2 is more powerfuel that any others.For intel they got the experience in this so why not use it.For the use of new instruction your weight in the market is the factor in this.
June 26, 2001 12:33:39 AM

Socket 478, is that the new Northwood socket design?

What is this NUMA bus? Anyone got info?

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2001 12:54:57 AM

What the hell did you say?

----------
I am, you know I am. I am Canadian.
June 26, 2001 2:17:57 AM

>I guess we don't have to worry

?? no one here is worrying execpt you. seems like this news just devasted you and every pup I know, you need to get over it now or you'll worry yourself sick.

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"
June 26, 2001 3:19:34 AM

The AMD 1.2GHz MP trounced the P4 1.7GHz in Intel's own SSE benchmark (by about least 20%).

From <A HREF="http://www.jc-news.com/index.cgi?peek=20010619" target="_new">jc-news 2001/06/19</A>:

"... but the real meat here is that the 1.20GHz AthMP outdoes the PIII-1.00 by 75.5% (assuming ideal scaling, this would make the Athlon no less than 46% faster than a Coppermine/PIII running at 1.20GHz) and manages to trump a 1.70GHz Pentium 4 by about twenty percent ..."

"... A rip of the Megnitrax stuff follows: Processor Score
Athlon MP 1.2 GHz 172
Athlon 1.4 GHz 42
Athlon 1.2 GHz 36
Pentium III 1.0 GHz 98
Pentium 4 1.7 GHz 143 ..."

SSE should have been well established by now. I would think that software companies would take advantage of the SSE instruction set when SSE2 is not present. Seems like the only advantage the P4 have left is the memory bandwidth performance, unless Intel pulls a fast one with the Northwood (like more efficient instruction execution times competitive with the Athlons and P3s).
June 26, 2001 3:53:32 AM

What!!!!!
Socket 478 that not the one of northwood.
So AMD will pay intel for chipset and instruction and maybe eve 6.

personal no.
June 26, 2001 4:02:13 AM

1 The site
2 we dont know what is the hardware in the P4
3 i am sure they dont have the lastest driver for P4 and for nvisia who suck.
4 Just look quake 3 who is SSE who win.
June 26, 2001 12:48:09 PM

Who gives a crap about quake any more. There is way better games out.

Jeff
June 26, 2001 3:05:12 PM

>Athlon 1.4 GHz 42
>Athlon 1.2 GHz 36
>Pentium III 1.0 GHz 98

gee, I hope I didn't misquote you.

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2001 3:55:42 PM

Something is fishy here..........

----------
I am, you know I am. I am Canadian.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2001 4:04:14 PM

>gee, I hope I didn't misquote you.

<i>You <b>did</b> misquote him.</i>
You omitted the processor that is the point of his post. Here, let me show you.

>Athlon MP 1.2 GHz 172
>Athlon 1.4 GHz 42
>Athlon 1.2 GHz 36
>Pentium III 1.0 GHz 98
>Pentium 4 1.7 GHz 143 ..."

The point of the article is that this benchmark is heavily dependent on SSE optimizations. The new AthlonMP has SSE support, and it appears from this benchmark that AMD's SSE support may actually be better then Intel's.

Of course, it would be nice to see the whole article, but I don't read Japanese...

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)
June 27, 2001 12:55:01 AM

I told you girls months ago that AMD has dropped EV6 and was going with NUMA rated @ 1.6Gig per second on the bus.

AMD has licensed NUMA from SGI for undisclosed amount.

AMD is now bound by license, and may not improve or alter NUMA BUS design/specification. AMD will ship the hammer with NUMA BUS rated @ 1.6G/sec.
June 27, 2001 1:25:50 AM

Quote:
I told you girls months ago that AMD has dropped EV6 and was going with NUMA rated @ 1.6Gig per second on the bus.

And this matters to us...how? Intel apparently can't even break the habit of using a shared CPU bus, even on the IA64. Thanks to that shared bus, I've never expected Intel CPU's to scale well beyond...well...one CPU. :tongue:

Quote:
AMD is now bound by license, and may not improve or alter NUMA BUS design/specification.

This could be true, or it could be another FUGGERism. You have no credibility; you'll have to provide links to convince us.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."
!