Flashing bios, how hard can it be?

Insprion 3700
Windows 98se

Have flashed my bios from A06 to A17 and the machine now freezes and
shuts down periodically. I have tried to flash back to A06 but in
spite of the bios update program displaying "done" the bios still
remains on A17.

Any suggestions?
8 answers Last reply
More about flashing bios hard

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 00:28:04 GMT, Simon2319@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

    > Insprion 3700
    > Windows 98se
    >

    > Have flashed my bios from A06 to A17 and the machine now freezes and
    > shuts down periodically. I have tried to flash back to A06 but in
    > spite of the bios update program displaying "done" the bios still
    > remains on A17.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Dell seems a little too quick to suggest flashing the BIOS. Doing anything
    to your BIOS is something I would reserve for when I have a problem that
    nothing else has fixed or the BIOS upgrade says it will fix my problem.
    You know, if it's not broke... :-)

    Perhaps starting over at version A01 and moving up might help?

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    clear the NVRAM and reset the BIOS to default values.

    <Simon2319@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Insprion 3700
    > Windows 98se
    >

    > Have flashed my bios from A06 to A17 and the machine now freezes and
    > shuts down periodically. I have tried to flash back to A06 but in
    > spite of the bios update program displaying "done" the bios still
    > remains on A17.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    sounds like it may be a result of the change in the systems power management
    and not having heeded the warning in the instructions... not sure if this
    helps to do after the fact, but i doubt it can make it any worse...

    Important Information

    For systems using Windows 98 version 4.10.1998, the RUN_ME.REG utility
    available on this diskette should be installed before upgrading to this
    BIOS. Installing this utility will prevent Windows 98 version 4.10.1998 from
    converting to ACPI mode when hardware detection is performed. See
    README.TXT, included on this diskette, for more details.

    *** Please Note ***
    This utility has been updated. All Windows 98 version 4.10.1998 users
    are encouraged to install this utility, even if they have previously
    installed an earlier version.

    "
    <Simon2319@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Insprion 3700
    > Windows 98se
    >

    > Have flashed my bios from A06 to A17 and the machine now freezes and
    > shuts down periodically. I have tried to flash back to A06 but in
    > spite of the bios update program displaying "done" the bios still
    > remains on A17.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    begin 666 shad.gif
    M1TE&.#EA$ `%`)$``-O;V_#P\,S,S/___R'Y! ``````+ `````0``4```(0
    2E(\IP.T/@IRTAH&SWKSK`@`[
    `
    end

    I did run the RUN_ME.REG utility prior to doing the bios flash.

    David Casey wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 00:28:04 GMT, Simon2319@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >
    >>Insprion 3700
    >>Windows 98se
    >>

    >>Have flashed my bios from A06 to A17 and the machine now freezes and
    >>shuts down periodically. I have tried to flash back to A06 but in
    >>spite of the bios update program displaying "done" the bios still
    >>remains on A17.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions?
    >
    > Dell seems a little too quick to suggest flashing the BIOS. Doing anything
    > to your BIOS is something I would reserve for when I have a problem that
    > nothing else has fixed or the BIOS upgrade says it will fix my problem.

    Or if the new BIOS offers a new feature you want to make use of.

    I have now managed to flash back to A6 by exiting to the dos prompt
    and running flash program manually. The only reason I upgraded was the
    fact that I was having problems with a new hardware device.

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:22:56 GMT, Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:

    >David Casey wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 00:28:04 GMT, Simon2319@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
    >>
    >>>Insprion 3700
    >>>Windows 98se
    >>>

    >>>Have flashed my bios from A06 to A17 and the machine now freezes and
    >>>shuts down periodically. I have tried to flash back to A06 but in
    >>>spite of the bios update program displaying "done" the bios still
    >>>remains on A17.
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Dell seems a little too quick to suggest flashing the BIOS. Doing anything
    >> to your BIOS is something I would reserve for when I have a problem that
    >> nothing else has fixed or the BIOS upgrade says it will fix my problem.
    >
    >Or if the new BIOS offers a new feature you want to make use of.
  7. Hey,guys!

    I'm rfhone.I find a good site for you:

Dell BIOS Flash Computers