Sign in with
Your question

Multiple Operating System with Mandrake diskdrake

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
January 3, 2003 11:37:34 AM

Hi there!, I'd like to have installed some SO's(DOS,WIN95,WIN98,WINME,WINNT,WIN2000,WINXP,LINUX) on same disk, I've tried to install, begging with Mandrake, after I choose the partitions with diskDrake, I received this messenge: an error occurs during format. I know there's no problem with the disk(it's a new disk),If anyone knows the right way(step by step) to do it, please help me!
January 3, 2003 3:13:13 PM

Damn, that's a lot of OS's on 1 hard drive. I don't even think that it's possible, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. It's best to install linux last because all the versions of Windows will overwrite the boot loader. I think all of those Windows OS's on 1 hard drive will seriously conflict. This is the only advice I can give you, but it's better than none. Try sticking with just Windows XP and Linux. :p 

--
nyt
January 3, 2003 6:48:39 PM

It's possible, actually. In a previous issue of Maximum PC, one guy had all those OSs, and then some, installed on one computer (though I'm not sure on just one disk).

I don't know how to do it myself, all I know is you better start with the oldest Windows OS first, and linux last. You should also have a bunch of OS loaders, instead of just one.

But like nyt said, just stick to XP and Linux, unless you're doing this for some school project or something.

Disregard my previous post.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by StIcK_e_MoUsE on 01/03/03 12:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 11, 2003 4:48:25 PM

I personally would just use win2k and linux. I have no idea why anyone would even want xp or me on their computer :)  And getting all those versions of windows to run on the same disk is going to be a tedious job.
!