AMD and Intel

G

I would like to know that would I get more than I paid for if I bought an Athlon CPU instead of a Pentium? How many KBs of L1 and L2 cache are there on the Athlon CPU and what about the Pentium 4?

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I think you mean how much performance for the $, right?? But i think you get more perfomance for the $. If you ignore the mhz #'s and look at the real world performance an athlon 1.4 is about egual to a 1.7ghz intel. The Athlon and pentium 4 have 256kb of l2 cache. The athlon has 128kb of l1 cache, and i couldn't find out how much the p4 has. Hope this helps.

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!!

On the face of it, the Athlon give better performance for less money, but there are stability problems with the VIA chipset.
Soon the PIII 1.13GHz Tualatin will be released and THEN WE SHALL SEE. LOL.
Seriously, the Palamino may kick its ass.
Watch this space.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

Thanks for the reply but can you tell me which chipsets will the Athlon work best on and which motherboard is best for the Athlon? Can anyone give me a website that shows up to date benchmarks between the Athlon and Pentium 4?

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Let me give you a little advice.

If you're just a casual computer user for games/web browsing/word documents etc, it really doesn't matter whether you buy a P4 or an Athlon. Both will give you acceptable performance for what you need. That being said, the Athlon system will indubitably be cheaper and just as stable as the P4 system.

If you have other areas such as video editing, serious 3d work, and intensive multimedia applications to look at, then it becomes a different story and you really should take a look at the benchmarks you're interested in.

You should also take whatever benchmarks you DO find with a grain of salt - rarely will you find effective or totally impartial benchmarks. AMD and Intel sympathizers are more than happy to rig up benchmarks on a website that favor their platform of choice. Some are easy to spot, some aren't.

I am a completely neutral user... I own numerous Intel based systems, but only 2 AMD systems. Right now I'm using my overclocked Duron system, which has proven to be a fast and stable performer and was purchased in parts at a very low price. Back when I bought the Duron processor itself, the 800 cost me something like 50 bucks. Overclocked to 1G, it far outperforms my PIII 833. That PIII was expensive too :(

Now isn't exactly the best time to buy a computer system. There are far too many great products just around the corner to use the argument that "whatever I buy now will be obsolete in a week anyway". If you do buy a system right now, I think it's pretty obvious that AMD gives the best performance for the price. The current P4 is a crippled version of the 'real' P4 that was hastily thrown out to compete with AMD when Intel discovered they were having major scaling problems with the PIII. If you decide in the end that you DO want the P4, do yourself a favor and wait for the Real one to come out.