Solved

PC Cleaner?

I read somewhere here in the Toms forums that a few of the causes of a frequent computer shutdown may be from a dirty computer (which I have cleaned it out) and junk stuff/viruses. Can anyone out there recomend a FREE good pc cleaner? My husbands computer frequently shuts down, sometimes when your in the middle of doing something. I do have security on it (AVG) preform scheduled maint daily and clean out the cookies and stuff weekly. When it shuts down and I do a restart it starts checking stuff in the bios then goes to windows for startup. I'm hoping that the problem is something as simple as a good pc cleanout. Anybody?
22 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cleaner
  1. yes, it's going to go through post

    ccleaner
  2. Hi :)

    I fix viruses every day in my computer shops...

    AVG is the worst protection you could have... we get LOTS of machines in with Avg AND VIRUSES....

    Norton 2013 if the best (paid), plus MALWAREBYTES for spyware removal (that's free)

    All the best Brett :)
  3. So it turns off as if it has been unplugged from the wall and then restarts correct?

    If thats the case then a little trouble shooting is going to be required. Could be a PSU going out, Ive seen faulty MOBOS do that as well. Could be High Temps (unlikely imo)

    Malware bytes and ccleaner as the above mentioned would both be good to add to your pc cleaning list ;).
  4. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    I fix viruses every day in my computer shops...

    AVG is the worst protection you could have... we get LOTS of machines in with Avg AND VIRUSES....

    Norton 2013 if the best (paid), plus MALWAREBYTES for spyware removal (that's free)

    All the best Brett :)



    Norton tends to bog down PC's , I recommend Avast! antivirus
  5. ArcticWonder said:
    Norton tends to bog down PC's , I recommend Avast! antivirus



    its not the antivirius protections fault if they are never updated. half the people i see have basically 3 virus protection programs installed and none of them updated etc. norton is way way way to slow for most peoples computers. avast or avg i prefer


    but back on topic if its randomly restarting or shutting down its most likely a failing psu.


    edit sorry meant to reply to brett :pt1cable:


    ccleaner is a nice simple tool to use or advanced system care if they still do the free versions
  6. I've never had a problem with Norton AV slowing down my PCs. I've got five desktops and six laptops in the family and Norton AV doesn't bother any of them. If you have a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge it shouldn't be a problem.
  7. Hi :)

    Norton cured that resource problem in 2008....

    All the best Brett :)
  8. Quote:
    Eli. true that Kimberly`s artlclee is something, last saturday I got Cadillac after bringing in $4908 this last five weeks and would you believe, 10k last munth. it's actualy the nicest-job I've ever had. I began this 4 months ago and practically straight away started to bring home minimum $70, p/h. I went to this web-site...Projects2013.Buzz70.com


    SPAM....DO NOT FOLLOW!!

    Has been reported.
  9. ArcticWonder said:
    Norton tends to bog down PC's , I recommend Avast! antivirus


    Anonymous said:
    its not the antivirius protections fault if they are never updated. half the people i see have basically 3 virus protection programs installed and none of them updated etc. norton is way way way to slow for most peoples computers. avast or avg i prefer


    but back on topic if its randomly restarting or shutting down its most likely a failing psu.


    edit sorry meant to reply to brett :pt1cable:


    ccleaner is a nice simple tool to use or advanced system care if they still do the free versions


    As for Norton bogging down PCs, that is not the case any longer as Brett mentioned, and it certainly not recommended to have more than 1 anti-virus installed on a computer at a time or they will fight each other for control for the computer.

    @OP: You may want to download HWMonitor, found HERE , and see what the voltage readings are when you're using hte computer. This will probably help you determine the problem area.
  10. http://www.hwinfo.com/ < Another great system info tool
  11. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    http://www.hwinfo.com/ < Another great system info tool



    i agree hwinfo is a great tool and can be used for monitoring everything with their gadget as well


    but back to norton i tried norton 360 last year on my laptop before i sold it and i could tell the difference between avg etc and norton. and my laptop was an I5 with 6gb of ram. im not saying it killed the performance but there are better programs out there
  12. Norton IS and GDATA IS = LIGHTEST suites out there.
  13. Wow! How wonderful of ya'll to respond! Let me answer a few questions:
    1. My husbands computer is a gaming computer. Its in sleep mode when not played. During play or average email reading it will shut down..not all the time but on occassion. Its shut down when I check it in the mornings. Not by my choice. I have AVG set up to run at night.

    2. The psu is less than two years old and is more than enough to handle the system.

    Thanks for the pc cleaning advice. CCcleaner and Malwarebytes here I come. But allow me to ask one more thing. My AVG is going to expire here in another month. Avast, AVG or Norton? Thank you very much for the responses!!
  14. As far as free A/V programs go, I prefer an Avast and malwarebytes combo.
  15. ahlayna said:
    Wow! How wonderful of ya'll to respond! Let me answer a few questions:
    1. My husbands computer is a gaming computer. Its in sleep mode when not played. During play or average email reading it will shut down..not all the time but on occassion. Its shut down when I check it in the mornings. Not by my choice. I have AVG set up to run at night.

    2. The psu is less than two years old and is more than enough to handle the system.

    Thanks for the pc cleaning advice. CCcleaner and Malwarebytes here I come. But allow me to ask one more thing. My AVG is going to expire here in another month. Avast, AVG or Norton? Thank you very much for the responses!!


    For free I would use Avast. But thats just me. All 3 of those Anti Virus's are good.

    #2. I know you say it's less then 2 years old and has more than enough to handle the system. What type of psu is it? In the (psu) world brands make a HUGE difference. Just because it says 600 watts if it's a bad brand chances are it doesn't do near what it says. Also... It can be failing. The symptoms your having lean heavily towards a PSU failure.

    Do this for me to rule out software issues. Go to Start, right click computer, go to manage. This opens a new window. From there go to Event Viewer, under event viewer choose system. What your looking at here are the logs your computer keeps track of. IF the shut down is due to software it is going to give you a shutdown reason (will be in red and say error and explain why it shut down). If the issue is hardware related it will be in red say error but it will say "The previous system shutdown at Time on ‎Date was unexpected." This basically means the computer just randomly lost power as if being unplugged. If this is the case... Then it is either the PSU (most likely) or the MOBO (have seen it happen a few times)

    Let us know what you find :D. If your husband has a spare PSU try it out.
    Also... Please list full system Specs. Proc, Mobo, PSU, Ram etc etc Brand and type. IE
    3570K i5 would be the proc.

    Hope this helps.
  16. Norton or Gdata.
  17. Wow!
    There are warnings: Wininit, DNS Client, event
    errors: event log, DistributedCOM, service control manager, bug report
    critical: kernel-Power (only saw 3 of these the entire month).

    The inside needs some serious blow out again. It was only about 3-4 weeks ago that I cleaned it. I have moved the tower from the floor up to the desk.

    I had mentioned that sometimes it goes thru the bios before going to windows. It paused at "verify dmi pool data" then went to windows.

    MB: FC Gigabyte GA-78-LMT-S2P
    CPU: AMD FX-4100 quad...3.64 ghz
    RAM: 8
    CARD: Geoforce GTS250
    PSU: Thermaltake 600

    I hope all this info helps...if I've left something out let me know.
  18. unoriginal1 said:
    For free I would use Avast. But thats just me. All 3 of those Anti Virus's are good.

    #2. I know you say it's less then 2 years old and has more than enough to handle the system. What type of psu is it? In the (psu) world brands make a HUGE difference. Just because it says 600 watts if it's a bad brand chances are it doesn't do near what it says. Also... It can be failing. The symptoms your having lean heavily towards a PSU failure.

    Do this for me to rule out software issues. Go to Start, right click computer, go to manage. This opens a new window. From there go to Event Viewer, under event viewer choose system. What your looking at here are the logs your computer keeps track of. IF the shut down is due to software it is going to give you a shutdown reason (will be in red and say error and explain why it shut down). If the issue is hardware related it will be in red say error but it will say "The previous system shutdown at Time on ‎Date was unexpected." This basically means the computer just randomly lost power as if being unplugged. If this is the case... Then it is either the PSU (most likely) or the MOBO (have seen it happen a few times)

    Let us know what you find :D. If your husband has a spare PSU try it out.
    Also... Please list full system Specs. Proc, Mobo, PSU, Ram etc etc Brand and type. IE
    3570K i5 would be the proc.

    Hope this helps.



    I don't mind paying for security...was just wondering which ya'll would recomend. AVG (I currently use, coming up to renew), Norton etc...

    I was looking for a free pc cleaner. I posted the specs on my husbands computer below. Again, thank you!!
  19. Best answer
    ahlayna said:
    Wow!
    There are warnings: Wininit, DNS Client, event
    errors: event log, DistributedCOM, service control manager, bug report
    critical: kernel-Power (only saw 3 of these the entire month).

    The inside needs some serious blow out again. It was only about 3-4 weeks ago that I cleaned it. I have moved the tower from the floor up to the desk.

    I had mentioned that sometimes it goes thru the bios before going to windows. It paused at "verify dmi pool data" then went to windows.

    MB: FC Gigabyte GA-78-LMT-S2P
    CPU: AMD FX-4100 quad...3.64 ghz
    RAM: 8
    CARD: Geoforce GTS250
    PSU: Thermaltake 600

    I hope all this info helps...if I've left something out let me know.


    Looks to me like your having some registry issues. (software corruption ;) ).

    Specifically: going through your errors listed.

    Event log. Assuming it's saying "Windows could not start the Windows Event Log service on Local Computer." error (1079) Fixable by changing registry stuff.
    DistributedCOM ~ Looks like this is a permissions issue.
    Service control manager ~ For this one try running sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt.
    Bug report ~ can you elaborate on this or show us a ss so we can see exactly what it says.

    So to summarize. 1st thing I'd do is run sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt. So hit start, in the search type in cmd, right click the icon and run as administrator then type in the sfc /scannow heres a link with instructions.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm
    Lets see where that gets you first. Along with posting back with a more detailed description of your "bug report" If the bug report is part of the unexpected shutdowns then I'm assuming that the reason your husbands PC is shutting down is software related rather then hardware. He has an awefull lot of errors / warnings that seem to be registry related.

    As far as protection avg is just fine, Make sure it's updated. Download Malware bytes and install/update/run that as well. After completing the sfc /scannow.

    For the "goes through bios at startup" seeing "verify dmi pool data" don't' worry about it. What your seeing is common especially with unexpected restarts. I'm surprised it hasn't tried to run a repair as well.

    Thanks
  20. if your computer is also getting hot or shutting down do to overheating. it could be as simple as cleaning the inside of the computer. This happens to me about every 6-9 months. It starts bogging down and making more noise. I take the side off my desktop computer and take the fan off the CPU and its caked with dust, and when i clean it my computer runs like a champ
  21. I blew out the computer again. It had sat on the floor....bad idea. My husband modified his small air compressor so it did get a GOOD cleaning. I also ran ccleaner and malwarebyts. To date there have been no unexpected shutdowns. Its still in sleep mode in the morning instead of shutdown. Still debating on Norton or AVG. My license expires in March.

    I appreciate all the help, ya'll have been wonderful!!
  22. Best answer selected by ahlayna.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Shutdown Windows 7