Athlon Multiplier's

tmod

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2001
I have a Abit KT7-Raid motherboard and I recently received a AXIA Y 266 1gig processor. The person that had this prior to me had it running at 1.4gig 10x140. Now the problem, I don't have the advantage of the 133 FSB on my board so I need to set the bridges on the chip to get a multiplier of 14x. The Abit bios has a 12.5~17 selection in the bios but I would imagine you would need a chip that identifies itself as a 1400. After looking at Tom's chart and some other site's and looking at the pictures that Tom's site has it doesn't seem to workout right. Unless I am missing something the pictures of the 1400's and there bridges that are either open or closed don't represent what the core is.

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, i'm not quite sure what your question is. however, i am also running a 1 GHZ athlon on an ABIT board.

Whether you have the KT7A or KT7 board, that doesn't effect the multiplier setting. Only the ability to run at a 133 FSB. You need to find the L1 bridge and close them with a #2 pencil. You can find some information and good links to more info at Pauls Unofficial KT7 FAQ over at viahardware.com.

once you unlock the L1 bridge, you'll have access to all the multipliers you could ever want. then you can run it at 14x100 or whatever else you want to run it at. hope it helps. if not, let me know and i'll try to help more.

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

tmod

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2001
allgoodpeople, I have the KT7. I guess my main question is, How do you select say multiplier 14x in the bios when it has 12.5~17. There is no 14x. Now if I did have the KT7A I could run the multiplier @10.5 and the FSB @133 and I would have my 1400. I am assuming that the bios setting of 12.5~17 needs a processor that has the bridge settings correct for that speed or how would it know which processor between 12.5~17 it has? I am running Bios 3c

The paper that I am looking at is from Tom's site and I came up with the following info.

Athlon 1.4 @ 133
If L6 has bridges 0,1,2,3 open that would equal .5+1+2+4=7.5+3=10.5*133=1.396 Ghz

If L3 has bridges 0,2 closed those would be on the Hi and you would add .5+1=1.5

Now if L4 has bridges 0,2 closed those would be on the Hi and you would add 2+4=6

And last but not least we take L3&L4 and add them together we will get 7.5+3=10.5*133=1.396Ghz

3 would be the baseline number.

Now what is really throwing me is the picture's show other bridge setting's.

Thanks for the help

OK found the difference.
AMD has elected to reuse the 5x multiplier for the 1400 processor. I will try setting the multiplier at 5x and see if I do indeed get the 1400 that I am looking for. I got this info at Paul's KT7 Faq page.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tmod on 06/24/01 06:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
AMD has elected to reuse the 5x multiplier for the 1400 processor. I will try setting the multiplier at 5x and see if I do indeed get the 1400 that I am looking for. I got this info at Paul's KT7 Faq page.
Hey, I was wondering if AMD would do that, just like the old K6-2 2x=6x trick.

Please do keep us posted. I have a KT7, as well.

allgoodpeople

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, i can't comment on the KT7 too much, as i've never used one. but i am assuming the bios isn't that much different from the KT7A. they're essentially the same mobo. i have access to multiplier settings in mine running the full gamut.

as far as opening up the bridges, you shouldn't have to worry about any bridges other than the L1 bridges on the processor. once those are closed, you'll completely unlock the multiplier. You're using an Athlon B or C? just checking to make sure. if you're talking about 133 FSB, then it's the C. the text on the core should tell you exactly what speed your processor is supposed to be, and what FSB it can run at. i may be completely off track, because all this talk of other bridges is foreign to me.

it doesn't matter what AMD set the multiplier to originally. once you unlock it (with the L1 bridges), you should have full access to multiplier numbers increasing in .5 increments. if you don't have this, it's probably a bios issue. at least that would be my first thought. but since you're running the newest one, this shouldn't be it.

once you go into the bios, go to SoftMENU III. when you choose processor speed, go all the way to the top of the menu that pops up and choose "user select". then you will be able to go and set the multiplier and FSB independently. you can choose whatever FSB and multiplier you want. you'l even have the option of increasing the CPU FSB independently of the southbridge (i think that's the correct term for FSB for the PCI and vid card and such).

again, i apologize if this isn't helpful, but i don't entirely understand your problem. but lets keep working it until we figure it out, ok?!? let me know how it turns out

allgoodpeople

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
i have access to multiplier settings in mine running the full gamut
what is the highest m/plier you have? I only have the 12.5~17 setting, dont really need the high settings as I run the FSB high, but i'd be interested to know what bios you have if you have higher settings.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

unlock L1 bridges
set bios to 12.5~17 x 110 (this is about as fast a FSB as you will get) this should boot (get latest Bios) as 13 x 110 = 1430.
i believe there are more bridges on palomino chips which will set the multiplier when it goes above 12.5, at the moment the core only has top multiplier of 13

hope you got good cooling at these speeds

however, we all start at the end and finish at the begining