How quiet are the new XPS and 8400?

I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
their subjective impression?

I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
perfect :)

Jean-Luc

"Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
>I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
> their subjective impression?
>
> I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
> perfect :)
>
> Jean-Luc

Two cooling fans and two fans in the power supply at a minimum. Gaming rigs
are not meant to be quiet, they're meant to be cool.

Compared to other Dimensions, expect plenty of noise.

Stew

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:42:20 GMT, Jean-Luc Brouillet wrote:

> I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
> their subjective impression?
>
> I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
> perfect :)

Compared to my old desktop which had 1-120mm fan, 2 fans on the PSU, and an
80mm fan in the front, my Dimension 8400 is quiet. I can't hear it in the
other room like my old desktop.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 05:36:47 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>"Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
>>I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
>> their subjective impression?
>>
>> I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
>> perfect :)
>>
>> Jean-Luc
>

>Two cooling fans and two fans in the power supply at a minimum. Gaming rigs
>are not meant to be quiet, they're meant to be cool.
>
>Compared to other Dimensions, expect plenty of noise.
>

>Stew

I have a Dimension XPS Gen 2 sitting on my desk and I don't consider the noise
excessive. Oh, I can hear the fans but it certainly doesn't sound like a vacuum
cleaner!

Jack Mac

I have the xps gen 3 on my desk, it's pretty damn quiet, it's quieter
than my old 8250!

Glassman

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:42:20 GMT, jeanluc@expertise.com (Jean-Luc
Brouillet) wrote:

>I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
>their subjective impression?
>
>I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
>perfect :)
>
>Jean-Luc

Al

I just got my 8400.
I can barely hear it.
I love the quiet compared to my old Gateway 800.

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:42:20 GMT, Jean-Luc Brouillet wrote:
>
> > I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners
post
> > their subjective impression?
> >
> > I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would
be
> > perfect :)
>
> Compared to my old desktop which had 1-120mm fan, 2 fans on the PSU, and
an
> 80mm fan in the front, my Dimension 8400 is quiet. I can't hear it in the
> other room like my old desktop.
>
> Dave
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

My new 8400 is very quiet. The old Gateway fan sounded like a thrashing
machine. I can't even hear the 8400.

Mike in Kalamazoo

I have an older XPS Gen2. It is not quieter than my 8300 just cooler.
"Rotorhead" <byline1not@charter.net> wrote in message
> My new 8400 is very quiet. The old Gateway fan sounded like a thrashing
> machine. I can't even hear the 8400.
>
> Mike in Kalamazoo

My new 8400 is sooooooo quiet I have to use a stethoscope to hear it purr.

"Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
> I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners
post
> their subjective impression?
>
> I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
> perfect :)
>
> Jean-Luc

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message news:M1BZc.857$N4.688@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
> their subjective impression?
>
> I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
> perfect :)

I have yet to encounter a newer XPS or 8400, so I can't comment
on those. Even if I had I don't know that I'd bother, for I've found
such opinions to be of questionable worth. If I had a buck for every
time I saw someone refer to their computer X as being very quiet
and another person refer to their computer X as being noisy, I could
buy a nice water cooling system. I think there are just too many
variables such as main box placement, internal config, room temp,
load, background noise, personal sensitivity, etc.

FWIW, there are some standards for measuring/declaring noise
emissions in computers. One page that talks about them, and even
mentions Dell, can be found here:

http://www.silent.se/iso-9296.php

If you do a Google search for: Dell XPS Gen 3 decibels or Dell
8400 decibels you'll find pdf's that contain environmental data for
the associated computers. I'm not sure how usefull those numbers
are, for I'm not sure whether any of the tests were performed when
CPU and graphics board load were maximized. A bit more digging
might answer that question, and posts to forums dealing specifically
with silencing PCs (such as those at www.silentpcreview.com) might
help one get a better feel for things. But I haven't bothered.

In short, when it comes to noise I would expect Dell machines to be
competitive with those offered by other mainstream manufacturers,
but noticeably less quiet than those home or specialty built boxes
which are specifically designed to be low noise.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Rotorhead wrote:

> My new 8400 is very quiet. The old Gateway fan sounded like a thrashing
> machine. I can't even hear the 8400.

Maybe the Gateway damaged your hearing? ;)

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Brouillet) wrote:

>I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
>their subjective impression?
>
>I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
>perfect :)
>
>Jean-Luc

I've got a 2 week old Gen 3, which came as a large tower, with 5
fans. Usually I can barely tell it's even on. It self adjusts as
needed. The power supply fans are noisy (sort of jet like sounding),
but they've only come on a few times, & for a brief period (less than
a minute). Other than that, it's the quietest tower I've owned.

Ted, thank you so much for that link, which lead me to this treasure:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/environment/en/prod_datasheets?c=us&l=en&s=corp

I long ago wrote to Dell's so-called customer service asking which machines
were quieter, and got no reply. And here (at the above Dell link) all along
are data sheets listing most current and recent models, so we can see
(excluding variables such as video cards) which models are quieter, as well
as which models dissipate more heat.

A quick glance at several models suggests older is better if you want a
quiet computer, and you want a Dell!

- Don

"Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
>>I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners
>>post their subjective impression?
>>
>> I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
>> perfect :)
>
> I have yet to encounter a newer XPS or 8400, so I can't comment
> on those. Even if I had I don't know that I'd bother, for I've found
> such opinions to be of questionable worth. If I had a buck for every
> time I saw someone refer to their computer X as being very quiet
> and another person refer to their computer X as being noisy, I could
> buy a nice water cooling system. I think there are just too many
> variables such as main box placement, internal config, room temp,
> load, background noise, personal sensitivity, etc.
>
> FWIW, there are some standards for measuring/declaring noise
> emissions in computers. One page that talks about them, and even
> mentions Dell, can be found here:
>
> http://www.silent.se/iso-9296.php
>
> If you do a Google search for: Dell XPS Gen 3 decibels or Dell
> 8400 decibels you'll find pdf's that contain environmental data for
> the associated computers. I'm not sure how usefull those numbers are, for
> I'm not sure whether any of the tests were performed when
> CPU and graphics board load were maximized. A bit more digging
> might answer that question, and posts to forums dealing specifically
> with silencing PCs (such as those at www.silentpcreview.com) might
> help one get a better feel for things. But I haven't bothered.
>
> In short, when it comes to noise I would expect Dell machines to be
> competitive with those offered by other mainstream manufacturers,
> but noticeably less quiet than those home or specialty built boxes
> which are specifically designed to be low noise.

Jean-Luc: See
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/environment/en/prod_datasheets?c=us&l=en&s=corp

and select the datasheets for newer or older models you want to compare!

- Don

"Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
>I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
> their subjective impression?
>
> I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
> perfect :)
>
> Jean-Luc

BTW, thanks to everyone who has responded. While not silent, my new 8400 is
quieter than any other PC I've owned. I'm very pleased with it.