How quiet are the new XPS and 8400?

I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
their subjective impression?

I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
perfect :-)

Jean-Luc
14 answers Last reply
More about quiet 8400

    "Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
    >I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
    > their subjective impression?
    >
    > I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
    > perfect :-)
    >
    > Jean-Luc

    Two cooling fans and two fans in the power supply at a minimum. Gaming rigs
    are not meant to be quiet, they're meant to be cool.

    Compared to other Dimensions, expect plenty of noise.

    Stew

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:42:20 GMT, Jean-Luc Brouillet wrote:

    > I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
    > their subjective impression?
    >
    > I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
    > perfect :-)

    Compared to my old desktop which had 1-120mm fan, 2 fans on the PSU, and an
    80mm fan in the front, my Dimension 8400 is quiet. I can't hear it in the
    other room like my old desktop.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 05:36:47 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    >"Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
    >>I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
    >> their subjective impression?
    >>
    >> I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
    >> perfect :-)
    >>
    >> Jean-Luc
    >

    >Two cooling fans and two fans in the power supply at a minimum. Gaming rigs
    >are not meant to be quiet, they're meant to be cool.
    >
    >Compared to other Dimensions, expect plenty of noise.
    >

    >Stew

    I have a Dimension XPS Gen 2 sitting on my desk and I don't consider the noise
    excessive. Oh, I can hear the fans but it certainly doesn't sound like a vacuum
    cleaner!

    Jack Mac

    I have the xps gen 3 on my desk, it's pretty damn quiet, it's quieter
    than my old 8250!

    Glassman

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:42:20 GMT, jeanluc@expertise.com (Jean-Luc
    Brouillet) wrote:

    >I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
    >their subjective impression?
    >
    >I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
    >perfect :-)
    >
    >Jean-Luc

    I just got my 8400.
    I can barely hear it.
    I love the quiet compared to my old Gateway 800.

    "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:42:20 GMT, Jean-Luc Brouillet wrote:
    >
    > > I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners
    post
    > > their subjective impression?
    > >
    > > I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would
    be
    > > perfect :-)
    >
    > Compared to my old desktop which had 1-120mm fan, 2 fans on the PSU, and
    an
    > 80mm fan in the front, my Dimension 8400 is quiet. I can't hear it in the
    > other room like my old desktop.
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    My new 8400 is very quiet. The old Gateway fan sounded like a thrashing
    machine. I can't even hear the 8400.

    Mike in Kalamazoo

    I have an older XPS Gen2. It is not quieter than my 8300 just cooler.
    "Rotorhead" <byline1not@charter.net> wrote in message
    > My new 8400 is very quiet. The old Gateway fan sounded like a thrashing
    > machine. I can't even hear the 8400.
    >
    > Mike in Kalamazoo

    My new 8400 is sooooooo quiet I have to use a stethoscope to hear it purr.

    "Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
    > I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners
    post
    > their subjective impression?
    >
    > I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
    > perfect :-)
    >
    > Jean-Luc

    "Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message news:M1BZc.857$N4.688@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    >I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
    > their subjective impression?
    >
    > I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
    > perfect :-)

    I have yet to encounter a newer XPS or 8400, so I can't comment
    on those. Even if I had I don't know that I'd bother, for I've found
    such opinions to be of questionable worth. If I had a buck for every
    time I saw someone refer to their computer X as being very quiet
    and another person refer to their computer X as being noisy, I could
    buy a nice water cooling system. I think there are just too many
    variables such as main box placement, internal config, room temp,
    load, background noise, personal sensitivity, etc.

    FWIW, there are some standards for measuring/declaring noise
    emissions in computers. One page that talks about them, and even
    mentions Dell, can be found here:

    http://www.silent.se/iso-9296.php

    If you do a Google search for: Dell XPS Gen 3 decibels or Dell
    8400 decibels you'll find pdf's that contain environmental data for
    the associated computers. I'm not sure how usefull those numbers
    are, for I'm not sure whether any of the tests were performed when
    CPU and graphics board load were maximized. A bit more digging
    might answer that question, and posts to forums dealing specifically
    with silencing PCs (such as those at www.silentpcreview.com) might
    help one get a better feel for things. But I haven't bothered.

    In short, when it comes to noise I would expect Dell machines to be
    competitive with those offered by other mainstream manufacturers,
    but noticeably less quiet than those home or specialty built boxes
    which are specifically designed to be low noise.

    Rotorhead wrote:

    > My new 8400 is very quiet. The old Gateway fan sounded like a thrashing
    > machine. I can't even hear the 8400.

    Maybe the Gateway damaged your hearing? ;)

    Brouillet) wrote:

    >I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
    >their subjective impression?
    >
    >I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
    >perfect :-)
    >
    >Jean-Luc

    I've got a 2 week old Gen 3, which came as a large tower, with 5
    fans. Usually I can barely tell it's even on. It self adjusts as
    needed. The power supply fans are noisy (sort of jet like sounding),
    but they've only come on a few times, & for a brief period (less than
    a minute). Other than that, it's the quietest tower I've owned.

    Ted, thank you so much for that link, which lead me to this treasure:

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/environment/en/prod_datasheets?c=us&l=en&s=corp

    I long ago wrote to Dell's so-called customer service asking which machines
    were quieter, and got no reply. And here (at the above Dell link) all along
    are data sheets listing most current and recent models, so we can see
    (excluding variables such as video cards) which models are quieter, as well
    as which models dissipate more heat.

    A quick glance at several models suggests older is better if you want a
    quiet computer, and you want a Dell!

    - Don

    "Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
    >>I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners
    >>post their subjective impression?
    >>
    >> I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
    >> perfect :-)
    >
    > I have yet to encounter a newer XPS or 8400, so I can't comment
    > on those. Even if I had I don't know that I'd bother, for I've found
    > such opinions to be of questionable worth. If I had a buck for every
    > time I saw someone refer to their computer X as being very quiet
    > and another person refer to their computer X as being noisy, I could
    > buy a nice water cooling system. I think there are just too many
    > variables such as main box placement, internal config, room temp,
    > load, background noise, personal sensitivity, etc.
    >
    > FWIW, there are some standards for measuring/declaring noise
    > emissions in computers. One page that talks about them, and even
    > mentions Dell, can be found here:
    >
    > http://www.silent.se/iso-9296.php
    >
    > If you do a Google search for: Dell XPS Gen 3 decibels or Dell
    > 8400 decibels you'll find pdf's that contain environmental data for
    > the associated computers. I'm not sure how usefull those numbers are, for
    > I'm not sure whether any of the tests were performed when
    > CPU and graphics board load were maximized. A bit more digging
    > might answer that question, and posts to forums dealing specifically
    > with silencing PCs (such as those at www.silentpcreview.com) might
    > help one get a better feel for things. But I haven't bothered.
    >
    > In short, when it comes to noise I would expect Dell machines to be
    > competitive with those offered by other mainstream manufacturers,
    > but noticeably less quiet than those home or specialty built boxes
    > which are specifically designed to be low noise.

    Jean-Luc: See
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/environment/en/prod_datasheets?c=us&l=en&s=corp

    and select the datasheets for newer or older models you want to compare!

    - Don

    "Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
    >I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
    > their subjective impression?
    >
    > I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
    > perfect :-)
    >
    > Jean-Luc

    BTW, thanks to everyone who has responded. While not silent, my new 8400 is
    quieter than any other PC I've owned. I'm very pleased with it.

    Jean-Luc

    >"Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
    >>I have read that the older XPS were fairly noisy. Can any new owners post
    >> their subjective impression?
    >>
    >> I'm hoping my next PC won't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Silent would be
    >> perfect :-)
    >>
    >> Jean-Luc

Dell XPS Computers