Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SIGH: hard lesson

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 11:07:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Throw both your boomerangs...
throw all your daggers...
attack the cockatrice....
OH WAIT! wield a weapon first.....

Sigh....

More about : sigh hard lesson

July 11, 2005 5:43:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Gary Olson <garyolson@pobox.nospam.com> wrote:
> Throw both your boomerangs...
> throw all your daggers...
> attack the cockatrice....
> OH WAIT! wield a weapon first.....

> Sigh....

Today I had a priest with both healing and force bolt (a combo to die
for in the early game) survive a 6-soldier ant ambush in the mines, only
to be killed by a dingo or something because I hadn't bothered to check
my HP before engaging this deadly dingo.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:01:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On 11 Jul 2005 01:43:42 GMT
anon <anon@anon.com> wrote:

>Gary Olson <garyolson@pobox.nospam.com> wrote:
>> Throw both your boomerangs...
>> throw all your daggers...
>> attack the cockatrice....
>> OH WAIT! wield a weapon first.....
>
>> Sigh....
>
>Today I had a priest with both healing and force bolt (a combo to die
>for in the early game) survive a 6-soldier ant ambush in the mines, only
>to be killed by a dingo or something because I hadn't bothered to check
>my HP before engaging this deadly dingo.

I didn't know that they had dingo's in nethack, I thought that they were part of the Zoutherner patch
(which I thought was only for Slash'em.)
Ah well, you learn something new every day...
Related resources
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 5:07:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:43:42 +0000, anon wrote:

> Today I had a priest with both healing and force bolt (a combo to die
> for in the early game) survive a 6-soldier ant ambush in the mines, only
> to be killed by a dingo or something because I hadn't bothered to check
> my HP before engaging this deadly dingo.

Oh yeah. My barbarian, Robar the Fierce was level 13 and all the way down
in Ludios on dungeon level 15 or so today. I fought off all the soldiers
and the dragons, made my way to the castle gates via water-walking boots,
and opened the door to a trio of trolls, and a gray dragon I was
salivating over since I first arrived through the portal. I forgot to
check my hit points after wiping out the third troll, and stepped forward
to take out the @ that was standing in the doorway behind the moat. I then
learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @. DYWYPI?
I think I need a big, flashing, screeching siren to pop up when my
hit points are low. That and someone to stand over me and smack me if I
don't check to make sure the finger-engraved E-word was written correctly
before "s" waiting for the swarm of killer bees to flee. Lost my wizard to
that on the first floor of the mines. *slaps forehead*
I am getting better, though! No, really! Heh.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:17:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Gary Olson wrote:
> Throw both your boomerangs...
> throw all your daggers...
> attack the cockatrice....
> OH WAIT! wield a weapon first.....
>
> Sigh....

I have this habit of checking my inv every time I see a foockatrice to
see if I'm wearing gloves. If I'm not wearing gloves, I take things a
lot slower and try to be more careful.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 10:00:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:
> I then learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @.

Creosus does enourmous amounts of damge with his two handed sword, best
to steer clear unless you are a healthy combat wombat
July 13, 2005 5:56:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:

>>Today I had a priest with both healing and force bolt (a combo to die
>>for in the early game) survive a 6-soldier ant ambush in the mines, only
>>to be killed by a dingo or something because I hadn't bothered to check
>>my HP before engaging this deadly dingo.
>
> Oh yeah. My barbarian, Robar the Fierce was level 13 and all the way down
> in Ludios on dungeon level 15 or so today. I fought off all the soldiers
> and the dragons, made my way to the castle gates via water-walking boots,
> and opened the door to a trio of trolls, and a gray dragon I was
> salivating over since I first arrived through the portal. I forgot to
> check my hit points after wiping out the third troll, and stepped forward
> to take out the @ that was standing in the doorway behind the moat. I then
> learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @. DYWYPI?

Yep, Croesus came as a big shock for me too. Lost a perfectly ascendable
character to him by completely ignoring the damage he did.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 8:46:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:

> I then learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @. DYWYPI?

He surprised me, too, once. I guess it's your character having gotten so
used to all those wimpy soldiers, sergeants, lieutenants and captains
that (s)he doesn't realise that other creaters might hit a bit harder...

--
Boudewijn.

--
"I have hundreds of other quotes, just waiting to replace this one
as my signature..." - Me
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 8:57:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Sean wrote:
> Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:
> > I then
> > learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @. DYWYPI?
>
> Yep, Croesus came as a big shock for me too. Lost a perfectly ascendable
> character to him by completely ignoring the damage he did.

Never got that close to him myself. Blast door with force bolt, then
stand off across the moat chucking magic missiles into the room. They
all come to the door eventually, and they all die.
July 15, 2005 9:46:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

>>>I then
>>>learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @. DYWYPI?
>>
>>Yep, Croesus came as a big shock for me too. Lost a perfectly ascendable
>>character to him by completely ignoring the damage he did.
>
> Never got that close to him myself. Blast door with force bolt, then
> stand off across the moat chucking magic missiles into the room. They
> all come to the door eventually, and they all die.

Well he's murder on an unprepared combat wombat.
!