9 answers Last reply
More about sigh hard lesson

    Gary Olson <garyolson@pobox.nospam.com> wrote:
    > Throw both your boomerangs...
    > throw all your daggers...
    > attack the cockatrice....
    > OH WAIT! wield a weapon first.....

    > Sigh....

    Today I had a priest with both healing and force bolt (a combo to die
    for in the early game) survive a 6-soldier ant ambush in the mines, only
    to be killed by a dingo or something because I hadn't bothered to check
    my HP before engaging this deadly dingo.

    On 11 Jul 2005 01:43:42 GMT
    anon <anon@anon.com> wrote:

    >Gary Olson <garyolson@pobox.nospam.com> wrote:
    >> Throw both your boomerangs...
    >> throw all your daggers...
    >> attack the cockatrice....
    >> OH WAIT! wield a weapon first.....
    >
    >> Sigh....
    >
    >Today I had a priest with both healing and force bolt (a combo to die
    >for in the early game) survive a 6-soldier ant ambush in the mines, only
    >to be killed by a dingo or something because I hadn't bothered to check
    >my HP before engaging this deadly dingo.

    I didn't know that they had dingo's in nethack, I thought that they were part of the Zoutherner patch
    (which I thought was only for Slash'em.)
    Ah well, you learn something new every day...

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:43:42 +0000, anon wrote:

    > Today I had a priest with both healing and force bolt (a combo to die
    > for in the early game) survive a 6-soldier ant ambush in the mines, only
    > to be killed by a dingo or something because I hadn't bothered to check
    > my HP before engaging this deadly dingo.

    Oh yeah. My barbarian, Robar the Fierce was level 13 and all the way down
    in Ludios on dungeon level 15 or so today. I fought off all the soldiers
    and the dragons, made my way to the castle gates via water-walking boots,
    and opened the door to a trio of trolls, and a gray dragon I was
    salivating over since I first arrived through the portal. I forgot to
    check my hit points after wiping out the third troll, and stepped forward
    to take out the @ that was standing in the doorway behind the moat. I then
    learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @. DYWYPI?
    I think I need a big, flashing, screeching siren to pop up when my
    hit points are low. That and someone to stand over me and smack me if I
    don't check to make sure the finger-engraved E-word was written correctly
    before "s" waiting for the swarm of killer bees to flee. Lost my wizard to
    that on the first floor of the mines. *slaps forehead*
    I am getting better, though! No, really! Heh.

    Gary Olson wrote:
    > Throw both your boomerangs...
    > throw all your daggers...
    > attack the cockatrice....
    > OH WAIT! wield a weapon first.....
    >
    > Sigh....

    I have this habit of checking my inv every time I see a foockatrice to
    see if I'm wearing gloves. If I'm not wearing gloves, I take things a
    lot slower and try to be more careful.

    Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:
    > I then learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @.

    Creosus does enourmous amounts of damge with his two handed sword, best
    to steer clear unless you are a healthy combat wombat
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:

    >>Today I had a priest with both healing and force bolt (a combo to die
    >>for in the early game) survive a 6-soldier ant ambush in the mines, only
    >>to be killed by a dingo or something because I hadn't bothered to check
    >>my HP before engaging this deadly dingo.
    >
    > Oh yeah. My barbarian, Robar the Fierce was level 13 and all the way down
    > in Ludios on dungeon level 15 or so today. I fought off all the soldiers
    > and the dragons, made my way to the castle gates via water-walking boots,
    > and opened the door to a trio of trolls, and a gray dragon I was
    > salivating over since I first arrived through the portal. I forgot to
    > check my hit points after wiping out the third troll, and stepped forward
    > to take out the @ that was standing in the doorway behind the moat. I then
    > learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @. DYWYPI?

    Yep, Croesus came as a big shock for me too. Lost a perfectly ascendable
    character to him by completely ignoring the damage he did.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:

    > I then learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @. DYWYPI?

    He surprised me, too, once. I guess it's your character having gotten so
    used to all those wimpy soldiers, sergeants, lieutenants and captains
    that (s)he doesn't realise that other creaters might hit a bit harder...

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Sean wrote:
    > Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:
    > > I then
    > > learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @. DYWYPI?
    >
    > Yep, Croesus came as a big shock for me too. Lost a perfectly ascendable
    > character to him by completely ignoring the damage he did.

    Never got that close to him myself. Blast door with force bolt, then
    stand off across the moat chucking magic missiles into the room. They
    all come to the door eventually, and they all die.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

    >>>I then
    >>>learned that Croesus hits pretty damned hard for an @. DYWYPI?
    >>
    >>Yep, Croesus came as a big shock for me too. Lost a perfectly ascendable
    >>character to him by completely ignoring the damage he did.
    >
    > Never got that close to him myself. Blast door with force bolt, then
    > stand off across the moat chucking magic missiles into the room. They
    > all come to the door eventually, and they all die.

    Well he's murder on an unprepared combat wombat.

Games Video Games