Gnomish mines / oracle question

I'm pretty new to nethack (just started in june).

I haven't gone through the gnomish mines yet because I was collecting hp
and experience first. Now that I think I am ready though I don't have
much food.

Is there much food to be found once in the mines? This is really the
first serious attempt I am making at going down that branch. So I don't
know.

Also I've reached this oracle person a few times, and each time I pay
the fee I always get some kind of 'fortune cookie'-like response. Is
there anything special you have to do to the oracle to tell you
something more useful?

Thanks in advance,
NG

--
The life of a repoman is always intense!

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:10:00 -0500
Nathan Gilbert <ngilbert@acm.org> wrote:

>Is there much food to be found once in the mines? This is really the
>first serious attempt I am making at going down that branch. So I don't
>know.

The fort-ludios branch is full of food. I once had 100 k-rations just from there.
(on the other hand, its a deadly spot.) (unless you are a xorn) (go XORNS!) (what where we talking about?)

Nathan Gilbert wrote:
> Is there much food to be found once in the mines? This is really the
> first serious attempt I am making at going down that branch. So I don't
> know.

You get a lot of gnome and dwarf corpses (if those aren't peaceful for
you), but you might want to do Sokoban first. There are a lot of food
rations to be found there - food shouldn't be a problem anymore, after
that.

> Also I've reached this oracle person a few times, and each time I pay
> the fee I always get some kind of 'fortune cookie'-like response. Is
> there anything special you have to do to the oracle to tell you
> something more useful?

Ask her for a major consultation rather than a minor one.

--
If geiger counter does not click,
the coffee, she is just not thick

noah bedford <noahbedford@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:10:00 -0500
> Nathan Gilbert <ngilbert@acm.org> wrote:
>
>>Is there much food to be found once in the mines? This is really the
>>first serious attempt I am making at going down that branch. So I
>>don't know.
>
> The fort-ludios branch is full of food. I once had 100 k-rations just
> from there. (on the other hand, its a deadly spot.) (unless you are a
> xorn) (go XORNS!) (what where we talking about?)

He's a newbie and he hasn't even been to Minetown yet - why in the hell are
you talking Fort Ludios to him?!

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Nathan Gilbert <ngilbert@acm.org> wrote in

> I'm pretty new to nethack (just started in june).
>
> I haven't gone through the gnomish mines yet because I was collecting hp
> and experience first. Now that I think I am ready though I don't have
> much food.
if you are at least 50 h.p. and have a negative a.c. I would go for it, and
follow the walls... If not, try a level down on the other branch. In either
case, come up when you get in trouble.

> Is there much food to be found once in the mines? This is really the
> first serious attempt I am making at going down that branch. So I don't
> know.
LOTS..., but DON'T eat when satiated...

> Also I've reached this oracle person a few times, and each time I pay
> the fee I always get some kind of 'fortune cookie'-like response. Is
> there anything special you have to do to the oracle to tell you
> something more useful?

some people think so, it is said that the oracle is a truthteller by some...

Nathan Gilbert wrote:

> I'm pretty new to nethack (just started in june).

One month in, several decades to go, chuckle. We've
got you now!

> I haven't gone through the gnomish mines yet because I was collecting hp
> and experience first. Now that I think I am ready though I don't have
> much food.
>
> Is there much food to be found once in the mines? This is really the
> first serious attempt I am making at going down that branch. So I don't
> know.

There are a *lot* of edible monsters in the mines. Kill
one or two, carry a corpse up while you're still alive,
eat until you're Satiated. Wander a bit until you are
back to your max hit points, descend again. Lather
rinse repeat until you've cleared that level of all of
its monsters and explored it. Then use that level as
your retreat point. Don't bother with peacefulls unless
you have a reason to do so (some carry good equipment so
kill several hostiles per peacefull and your alignment
stays good).

> Also I've reached this oracle person a few times, and each time I pay
> the fee I always get some kind of 'fortune cookie'-like response. Is
> there anything special you have to do to the oracle to tell you
> something more useful?

I think major consultations cost 1000 zorkmids. If you
have not read the spoilers and/or source code, they can
be extremely worth it. They are written in very stilled
and obscure language, so write them down on paper and
puzzle over each one for a while.

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Nathan Gilbert wrote:
>>I'm pretty new to nethack (just started in june).
>
> One month in, several decades to go, chuckle. We've
> got you now!

No joke, I am addicted and now have dreams of wandering an endless
labyrinth each night.

NG

--

Nathan Gilbert wrote:

> I haven't gone through the gnomish mines yet because I was collecting
> hp and experience first. Now that I think I am ready though I don't
> have much food.

Once you are *really* hungry, #pray to your god. Don't do that too
often, though!

> Also I've reached this oracle person a few times, and each time I pay
> the fee I always get some kind of 'fortune cookie'-like response. Is
> there anything special you have to do to the oracle to tell you
> something more useful?

Buy a major consultation; they're much more useful albeit sometimes
confusing. A minor consultation, by the way, is always true or at least
useful, contrary to fortune cookies, which might just as well be untrue
or useless.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me