Sign in with
Your question

One computer, two monitor-mouse-keyboard

Last response: in Windows 7
January 23, 2013 1:46:07 AM

I want to set up two workstations from one computer so that two users can have their own set up (mouse, keyboard). They will work at separate times. Isn't there a simple switch that can do this?
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 1:52:16 AM

You want them to each have their own session? No, there's nothing that can do that; if there was, then split screen gamers would all be happy and could run two copies of the game at once.
January 23, 2013 2:03:00 AM

DarkSable said:
You want them to each have their own session? No, there's nothing that can do that; if there was, then split screen gamers would all be happy and could run two copies of the game at once.

If two different users can each have an account one one computer and operate at different times, why can't that be split up into two workstations?
Related resources
January 23, 2013 2:32:11 AM

If they're working at separate times, user accounts should be more than enough. You could just mirror the display to each, and if only one keyboard/mouse is being used at the same time, there aren't any issues there either.

If you want to run two separate environments at the same time, I highly recommend you start learning about virtualization. VMWare offers VMWare Player for free for personal use, which is what I use. With some reading and trial/error, it's not too hard to end up with two completely different OS'es running on the same box with different displays. (When you attach USB devices to the VM (guest OS), they're removed from the host OS. You could play around with settings to get one keyboard/mouse going to your VM and the other to the host.)

Using a VM is *not* the best option for gaming; however, VMWare can run up to DirectX 9 just fine, and I've even played new-ish DX9 games with great framerates and no glitches.

I frequently will remote into my Linux VM, which runs on top of my Windows host, and I have full OS control without disturbing the host, even if it's gaming - so long as the box has enough resources for each OS and its tasks.

If you're just doing work, Linux would probably be much easier to setup multi-users, but with any type of setup, you should be fine. I've only been around virtualization for six months now, but some of the setups I've managed off of one machine are pretty insane. As long as you've got enough processors, processing power, memory, and storage, the *sky* is the limit! (Get it? Sky, like cloud? As in virtualization. har har har..)
January 23, 2013 2:47:20 AM

kynolin said:
If they're working at separate times, user accounts should be more than enough. You could just mirror the display to each, and if only one keyboard/mouse is being used at the same time, there aren't any issues there either.

If you want to run two separate environments at the same time, I highly recommend you start learning about virtualization. VMWare offers VMWare Player for free for personal use, which is what I use. With some reading and trial/error, it's not too hard to end up with two completely different OS'es running on the same box with different displays. (When you attach USB devices to the VM (guest OS), they're removed from the host OS. You could play around with settings to get one keyboard/mouse going to your VM and the other to the host.)

Using a VM is *not* the best option for gaming; however, VMWare can run up to DirectX 9 just fine, and I've even played new-ish DX9 games with great framerates and no glitches.

I frequently will remote into my Linux VM, which runs on top of my Windows host, and I have full OS control without disturbing the host, even if it's gaming - so long as the box has enough resources for each OS and its tasks.

If you're just doing work, Linux would probably be much easier to setup multi-users, but with any type of setup, you should be fine. I've only been around virtualization for six months now, but some of the setups I've managed off of one machine are pretty insane. As long as you've got enough processors, processing power, memory, and storage, the *sky* is the limit! (Get it? Sky, like cloud? As in virtualization. har har har..)

a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 2:49:51 AM

Was one thread not enough? :non: 

Sounds like someone needs to freshin' up on the forum rules.

Go HERE for more help!
January 23, 2013 2:53:49 AM

hedwar2011 said:
Was one thread not enough? :non: 

Sounds like someone needs to freshin' up on the forum rules.

Go HERE for more help!

I'm sorry if I broke a rule. I just opened this account an hour ago. Are you willing to help me more. signed. fellow vet. VN
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 2:54:57 AM

I would recommend focusing on the other thread as it has more responses. Copy and paste the information into a notepad session from this one if you want so that you'll have it handy :) 
!