SP2 on Dim. 4550

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Re-installed XP from scratch on my 4550. And then added in SP2.
The PC feels awfully sluggish comapred to pre-SP2, although I have no real data
to back this up. Anyone else notice any problems?

I'm suspecting that there may be a disk DMA config problem i.e. it is not
using DMA.
Can anyone tell me
a) How to find the disk DMA config with SP2 installed?
b) A decent utility to test read/write performance of the disk? Anyone
tried using Sisoft Sandra SP2 build? I downloaded this and tried the
disk utility. After 30 minutes, I aborted it as it hadn't completed and
there was no signs of disk activity.

Any comments appreciated.

Pete

"Pete" <nothere@notthere.either> wrote in message
> Re-installed XP from scratch on my 4550. And then added in SP2.
> The PC feels awfully sluggish comapred to pre-SP2, although I have no real
> data
> to back this up. Anyone else notice any problems?
>
> I'm suspecting that there may be a disk DMA config problem i.e. it is not
> using DMA.
> Can anyone tell me
> a) How to find the disk DMA config with SP2 installed?
> b) A decent utility to test read/write performance of the disk? Anyone
> tried using Sisoft Sandra SP2 build? I downloaded this and tried the
> disk utility. After 30 minutes, I aborted it as it hadn't completed and
> there was no signs of disk activity.
>
> Any comments appreciated.
>
> Pete

Right click on 'my computer', click 'hardware'/'device manager'/then click
on 'IDE/ATA atapi controllers', then 'primary IDE channel', then 'advanced'
and be sure the 'transfer modes' are set to 'DMA if available' . You may
have to reboot.

Both of my hard disks (my machine is spec'd slightly slower than your 4550)
are running in "Ultra DMA mode 5".

hth

Stew

Runs flawlessly on my 4550 with no detectible slowing of the machine.

Go into the BIOS and make sure all your hard drives are set to AUTO. They
work if they are set to OFF, but they are really, really slow.

Tom
"Pete" <nothere@notthere.either> wrote in message
> Re-installed XP from scratch on my 4550. And then added in SP2.
> The PC feels awfully sluggish comapred to pre-SP2, although I have no real
> data
> to back this up. Anyone else notice any problems?
>
> I'm suspecting that there may be a disk DMA config problem i.e. it is not
> using DMA.
> Can anyone tell me
> a) How to find the disk DMA config with SP2 installed?
> b) A decent utility to test read/write performance of the disk? Anyone
> tried using Sisoft Sandra SP2 build? I downloaded this and tried the
> disk utility. After 30 minutes, I aborted it as it hadn't completed and
> there was no signs of disk activity.
>
> Any comments appreciated.
>
> Pete

> Any comments appreciated.

http://theinquirer.net/?article=18203

1 in 10 machines fail to run SP2 (survey relates to business machines)

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

In article <EGCZc.64367$%n4.39055@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Pete" <nothere@notthere.either> wrote in message
>> Re-installed XP from scratch on my 4550. And then added in SP2.
>> The PC feels awfully sluggish comapred to pre-SP2, although I have no real
>> data
>> to back this up. Anyone else notice any problems?
>>
>> I'm suspecting that there may be a disk DMA config problem i.e. it is not
>> using DMA.
>> Can anyone tell me
>> a) How to find the disk DMA config with SP2 installed?
>> b) A decent utility to test read/write performance of the disk? Anyone
>> tried using Sisoft Sandra SP2 build? I downloaded this and tried the
>> disk utility. After 30 minutes, I aborted it as it hadn't completed and
>> there was no signs of disk activity.
>>
>> Any comments appreciated.
>>
>> Pete
>

>Right click on 'my computer', click 'hardware'/'device manager'/then click
>on 'IDE/ATA atapi controllers', then 'primary IDE channel', then 'advanced'
>and be sure the 'transfer modes' are set to 'DMA if available' . You may
>have to reboot.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I do not have my Dell in front of me, but can you confirm that the Advanced tab
is actually there on SP2? It was there pre-SP2 but I couldn't find it
when I had a quick look when I thought DMA may be the issue.

Tom,

I'll check that the disks are set to Auto in the Bios. I'm pretty sure they
are.

> In article <EGCZc.64367$%n4.39055@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
> S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>>"Pete" <nothere@notthere.either> wrote in message
>>> Re-installed XP from scratch on my 4550. And then added in SP2.
>>> The PC feels awfully sluggish comapred to pre-SP2, although I have no
>>> real
>>> data
>>> to back this up. Anyone else notice any problems?
>>>
>>> I'm suspecting that there may be a disk DMA config problem i.e. it is
>>> not
>>> using DMA.
>>> Can anyone tell me
>>> a) How to find the disk DMA config with SP2 installed?
>>> b) A decent utility to test read/write performance of the disk? Anyone
>>> tried using Sisoft Sandra SP2 build? I downloaded this and tried the
>>> disk utility. After 30 minutes, I aborted it as it hadn't completed
>>> and
>>> there was no signs of disk activity.
>>>
>>> Any comments appreciated.
>>>
>>> Pete
>>

>>Right click on 'my computer', click 'hardware'/'device manager'/then click
>>on 'IDE/ATA atapi controllers', then 'primary IDE channel', then
>>'advanced'
>>and be sure the 'transfer modes' are set to 'DMA if available' . You may
>>have to reboot.
>>
> Thanks for the quick responses.
>
> I do not have my Dell in front of me, but can you confirm that the
> Advanced tab
> is actually there on SP2? It was there pre-SP2 but I couldn't find it
> when I had a quick look when I thought DMA may be the issue.
>
> Tom,
>
> I'll check that the disks are set to Auto in the Bios. I'm pretty sure
> they
> are.
>
> Pete

It's there both on my XP Home and XP Pro machines running SP2. (One system a
Dell, the other is a non-OEM).

Stew

Read the source article instead:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid=1209&e=2&u=/cmp/20040901/tc_cmp/46200368

You will notice a few subtle but significant differences:
"can't run Windows XP SP-2" The Enquirer, unreliable junk at best in
most its reporting.

"On average, 10.3% of the Windows XP-based machines will have an issue
of some degree with SP-2," "Or better put, they have the
'opportunity' for an issue to arise." Steve O'Halloran, managing
director of AssetMetrix Research Labs.

The actual story widely publicized says nothing to suggest "can't run
Windows XP SP-2", however those who wish to throw a biased slant
apparently do.

Most of those issues are likely simple configuration issues related to
the enhanced security of SP-2 so they are not really an issue once the
user learns about the new features.
Another group of issues are caused by pre-existing issues such as
spyware, viruses and other malware.
What is left after those are removed from the 10%, most likely far
less than 10%.

Starting with a clean computer and researching features can increase
your chances for successful installation of SP-2.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Jupiter Jones" wrote:
> Read the source article instead:
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid=1209&e=2&u=/cmp/20040901/tc_cmp/46200368
> [............]
> The actual story widely publicized says nothing to suggest "can't run
> Windows XP SP-2", however those who wish to throw a biased slant
> apparently do.
>
> Most of those issues are likely simple configuration issues related to
> the enhanced security of SP-2 so they are not really an issue once the
> user learns about the new features.
> Another group of issues are caused by pre-existing issues such as
> spyware, viruses and other malware.
> What is left after those are removed from the 10%, most likely far
> less than 10%.
>
> Starting with a clean computer and researching features can increase
> your chances for successful installation of SP-2.

But if your shop runs "2nd or 3rd tier" software - like WordPerfect -
you're SOL. Nice way to sabotage Corel. MicroSoft is up to its ol' tricks.

*TimDaniels*

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

> But if your shop runs "2nd or 3rd tier" software - like WordPerfect -
>you're SOL. Nice way to sabotage Corel. MicroSoft is up to its ol' tricks.
..
How interesting. I have had no problems running any Corel
WordPerfect Office program, WordPerfect most definitely included,
under XP, XP w/SP1, or, now, XP w/SP2.

Nor have I had any problems with the Lotus Office family.

Nor have I had any problems with the MS Office XP family.

Who's up to their old tricks, Timmy? Rumormongers or Microsoft?
If you have a reputable, authoritative source for what you are
posting, please provide it. Right now, and in light of my
personal experience, your source is full of [stuff].

I am no defender of Microsoft, but I have observed that they have
been blamed for everything bad that has happened in the world
since Bill Gates talked Adam and Eve into eating that damned
apple.
--
OJ III

Let's see...if Microsoft doesn't harden Windows, they get ragged on about
security loopholes in their code...but if they do harden Windows, they get
ragged on for breaking software (including Microsoft's own software).

I guess they just can't win.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "Jupiter Jones" wrote:
> > Read the source article instead:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid=1209&e=2&u=/cmp/20040901/tc_cmp/46200368
> > [............]
> > The actual story widely publicized says nothing to suggest "can't run
> > Windows XP SP-2", however those who wish to throw a biased slant
> > apparently do.
> >
> > Most of those issues are likely simple configuration issues related to
> > the enhanced security of SP-2 so they are not really an issue once the
> > user learns about the new features.
> > Another group of issues are caused by pre-existing issues such as
> > spyware, viruses and other malware.
> > What is left after those are removed from the 10%, most likely far
> > less than 10%.
> >
> > Starting with a clean computer and researching features can increase
> > your chances for successful installation of SP-2.
>

> But if your shop runs "2nd or 3rd tier" software - like WordPerfect -
> you're SOL. Nice way to sabotage Corel. MicroSoft is up to its ol'
tricks.

> *TimDaniels*

"...[Microsoft has] been blamed for everything bad that has happened in the
world since Bill Gates talked Adam and Eve into eating that damned apple."

Wasn't that Steve Jobs?
--
Ted Zieglar

Pete <nothere@notthere.either> writes:
>Re-installed XP from scratch on my 4550. And then added in SP2.
>The PC feels awfully sluggish comapred to pre-SP2, although I have no real data
>to back this up. Anyone else notice any problems?

>I'm suspecting that there may be a disk DMA config problem i.e. it is not
>using DMA.
>Can anyone tell me
>a) How to find the disk DMA config with SP2 installed?
>b) A decent utility to test read/write performance of the disk? Anyone
> tried using Sisoft Sandra SP2 build? I downloaded this and tried the
> disk utility. After 30 minutes, I aborted it as it hadn't completed and
> there was no signs of disk activity.

Over in the microsoft.public.* groups they claim that over time XP
is dynamically moving files around on the disk to give you better
response times. But when you start with a fresh install, or you
blow all that away with SP2, that it takes a week or two for the
algorithm to gradually adjust things to get some of the speed back.
They also say that running a defrag after the installation will
help because the installation process pretty nearly completely
scrambles the disk. (But I'd like to see any solid evidence that
defrag actually makes a substantial difference for a typical user,
not some contrived worst case hypothetical, but for a typical user)

IF you can really document that works in your case then please post
some confirmation, there are way too many throwing around unfounded
claims, like saying that almost any problem must be because you had
some virus or you just didn't have new enough drivers or you were
just stupid.

thanks

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> writes:
>> Who's up to their old tricks, Timmy? Rumormongers or Microsoft?
>> If you have a reputable, authoritative source for what you are
>> posting, please provide it. Right now, and in light of my
>> personal experience, your source is full of [stuff].

> The source is Asset Matrix, the originator of the report, and possibly
>a list made by Microsoft itself:.

> "AssetMetrix probed more than 44,000 Windows XP systems
> housed in nearly 350 companies to come up with its numbers,
> matching what it found on the PCs against various lists that
> Microsoft has posted of programs that have, or may have,
> compatibility issues with the massive update. "

> "On average, 10.3% of the Windows XP-based machines will
> have an issue of some degree with SP2," said Steve O'Halloran,
> managing director of AssetMetrix Research Labs."

The 10% figure comes from the number of machines that had some
software on the list claimed by Microsoft to be problem children.
Some of those items on the list don't seem to cause any problems,
at least in my limited testing and in some newsgroup postings,
but there is another group of people who have problems with SP2
and there seems to be no documented evidence that they have anything
to do with any software on the list.

But thus far NOBODY that I'm aware of rang up 1000 randomly selected
customers who downloaded SP2 and asked them whether they had a problem
in the install or not, or if Microsoft has done so they aren't talking.

I'd DEARLY love to see someone come out with that documented number
and end all this silly bickering.

Why the hell didn't SP2 scan for running apps that were known to be a
problem and warn the user to turn them off before continuing?

Why the hell didn't SP2 scan for the viruses that have been blamed by
all the microsoft newsgroup advisors to be the source of all the trouble?

Why the hell didn't SP2 do a registry validation before installing?

All these would have done two things, they would supposedly have saved
many users from having problems and they would have saved Microsoft
from a wave of criticism and support problems that they DESPERATELY
need to avoid at this point.

"Don Taylor" wrote:
> The 10% figure comes from the number of machines that had
> some software on the list claimed by Microsoft to be problem
> children. Some of those items on the list don't seem to cause
> any problems, at least in my limited testing and in some
> newsgroup postings, but there is another group of people who
> have problems with SP2 and there seems to be no documented
> evidence that they have anything to do with any software on the list.
>
> But thus far NOBODY that I'm aware of rang up 1000 randomly
> selected customers who downloaded SP2 and asked them whether
> they had a problem in the install or not, or if Microsoft has done
> so they aren't talking.

Part of the problem is that virutally no one tests all the features
and combinations of features of all their software apps. When one
or a thousand randomly-chosen people (including Usenet posters)
say they "had no problems", it really means nothing. It takes a
professionally-designed test to expose most of the problems, yet
some of the esoteric uses and combination of features can remain
hidden for months. So Microsoft saves money by simply depending
on its customers to act as the "testers" and "test designers".

*TimDaniels*

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Timothy Daniels wrote:

> "Jupiter Jones" wrote:
>
>>Read the source article instead:
>>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid=1209&e=2&u=/cmp/20040901/tc_cmp/46200368
>>[............]
>>The actual story widely publicized says nothing to suggest "can't run
>>Windows XP SP-2", however those who wish to throw a biased slant
>>apparently do.
>>
>>Most of those issues are likely simple configuration issues related to
>>the enhanced security of SP-2 so they are not really an issue once the
>>user learns about the new features.
>>Another group of issues are caused by pre-existing issues such as
>>spyware, viruses and other malware.
>>What is left after those are removed from the 10%, most likely far
>>less than 10%.
>>
>>Starting with a clean computer and researching features can increase
>>your chances for successful installation of SP-2.
>

> But if your shop runs "2nd or 3rd tier" software - like WordPerfect -
> you're SOL. Nice way to sabotage Corel. MicroSoft is up to its ol' tricks.

How's that? I'm running WP 12 (WordPerfect & Quattro Pro) without any
problems.

"Sparky" wrote:
> How's that? I'm running WP 12 (WordPerfect & Quattro Pro)
> without any problems.

So? That doesn't necessarily mean that your Wordperfect
app hasn't lost some functionality that you don't use. But
before you reply, read the entire thread.

*TimDaniels*

> "Sparky" wrote:
>> How's that? I'm running WP 12 (WordPerfect & Quattro Pro)
>> without any problems.
>
> So? That doesn't necessarily mean that your Wordperfect
> app hasn't lost some functionality that you don't use. But
> before you reply, read the entire thread.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Specifics?

Lost some of the functionality. Give me a break.

Tom

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

> "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>

>> But if your shop runs "2nd or 3rd tier" software - like WordPerfect -
>>you're SOL. Nice way to sabotage Corel. MicroSoft is up to its ol' tricks.
>
> .
> How interesting. I have had no problems running any Corel
> WordPerfect Office program, WordPerfect most definitely included,
> under XP, XP w/SP1, or, now, XP w/SP2.
>
> Nor have I had any problems with the Lotus Office family.
>
> Nor have I had any problems with the MS Office XP family.
>
> Who's up to their old tricks, Timmy? Rumormongers or Microsoft?
> If you have a reputable, authoritative source for what you are
> posting, please provide it. Right now, and in light of my
> personal experience, your source is full of [stuff].
>
> I am no defender of Microsoft, but I have observed that they have
> been blamed for everything bad that has happened in the world
> since Bill Gates talked Adam and Eve into eating that damned
> apple.

Heh, heh, you said "Bill Gates" & "Apple", heh, heh.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Sparky" wrote:
>>
>>>How's that? I'm running WP 12 (WordPerfect & Quattro Pro)
>>>without any problems.
>>
>> So? That doesn't necessarily mean that your Wordperfect
>>app hasn't lost some functionality that you don't use. But
>>before you reply, read the entire thread.
>>
>>*TimDaniels*
>
> Specifics?
>
> Lost some of the functionality.

He's desperate.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Timothy Daniels wrote:
> "Sparky" wrote:
>
>>How's that? I'm running WP 12 (WordPerfect & Quattro Pro)
>>without any problems.
>
> So? That doesn't necessarily mean that your Wordperfect
> app hasn't lost some functionality that you don't use.

You're the one claiming various apps don't run w/SP2 - if you're now
claiming WP12 suffers reduced functionality after applying XP's SP2, how
about you post some documentation as to which features in which apps?