Defrag

oja1

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Is there a defrag that puts all programs and system files, including Page and Hibernate, in the faster outer tracks of a drive? I have Win7 x64 and large Raid0 and Raid1 drives that are only 5% used so don't need to put files in slower inner tracks.

oja1

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

Over the last 6 months I've tried Auslogics, Smart Defrag and Perfect Disk v11. These show most files at the top (which I guess represents the faster outer tracks) and some in the middle, including the Page File, which I expect should be in the faster outer tracks. They also put less-used files in the middle, but I'd guess that could wait until more than 30% of a drive is used (mine are well under 10% used).

If I'm reading HD Tune's display correctly the first 30 to 35% of my drives' capacities are the fastest, then speed drops off more and more, so I'd rather avoid using those areas until necessary (maybe never since bigger drives are cheap and maybe SSDs will take over).

Apparently Ultimate Defrag has options to place files but has no Win7 x64 version yet. Is anyone aware of other defrags that can defrag and place files only in the fast areas?

4745454b

Titan
Do you even use the pagefile? If its that much of a concern get more ram.

I believe partitions go from the outer to inner tracks. If so, make a single 4GB partition for your swap file, then partition the rest as you want. Put the swap file on that 4GB "drive" and you should be set.