Sign in with
Your question
Solved

One computer, 2 workstations

Last response: in Windows 7
January 23, 2013 1:59:54 AM

I want to set up two workstations from one computer for two people working at different times. Isn't there a KVM switch that will do this?

More about : computer workstations

a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 2:03:25 AM

So what exactly do you want?

If the two people who will be using the machine will never be working concurrently, then it should be as simple as setting up different user accounts, or even different OS installs for each person.
m
l
January 23, 2013 2:06:45 AM

Yes, but these two people don't want to sit at the same desk, use the same keyboard and mouse. They want separate workstations. They will work at different times
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 2:12:18 AM

If they will work at different times then use a switch.
You can get away with just a VGA switch if the keyboard/mouse are USB or wireless. You wouldn't need a switch for the USB, leave them all plugged in and away you go.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 2:12:22 AM

So just have them swap some cables when they start work.

Computer is somewhere between the two desks, and has two sets of display/peripheral cables going to it from each desk. When one of them comes in, they just unplug the other guys cables and plug theirs in.
Might have to make use of extensions to make it work and its not automated, but it achieves the goal and its simple.
January 23, 2013 2:14:33 AM

manofchalk said:
So just have them swap some cables when they start work.

Computer is somewhere between the two desks, and has two sets of display/peripheral cables going to it from each desk. When one of them comes in, they just unplug the other guys cables and plug theirs in.
Might have to make use of extensions to make it work and its not automated, but it achieves the goal and its simple.

Wouldn't it be much easier to use a switch rather than swap cables.
m
l
January 23, 2013 2:17:07 AM

memadmax said:
If they will work at different times then use a switch.
You can get away with just a VGA switch if the keyboard/mouse are USB or wireless. You wouldn't need a switch for the USB, leave them all plugged in and away you go.

My keyboard and mouse are not wireless. I tried a wireless mouse before and didn't like it. I understand there is a Belkin KVM switch that might work.
m
l
January 23, 2013 2:25:02 AM

I looked at the KVM switch from the website you give. I'll have two mice and two keyboard to connect. This switch seems to have only two ports in addition to the main cable to the computer.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 2:28:26 AM

Look at the other images of the switch.

Shows two VGA and four female USB cables that go to each desk, the thick end with only one VGA port and 2 USB's is the end that plugs into the computer.
m
l
February 13, 2013 2:43:39 AM

Best answer selected by grahamcracker.
m
l
!