Archon weapons ?

A Tourist alter-ego of mine is already well equipped and has a pet
Archon wielding the +7 Sunsword (bullwhip came in useful here).
A vanquished monster has now dropped a wand of wishing 2,0 ! What will
the next three pet (or otherwise) Archons he intends to wish up wield ?
There don't seem to be sufficient Demonbanes and sunswords to go round !

Tom.

Tom Goodman wrote:

> A Tourist alter-ego of mine is already well equipped and has a pet
> Archon wielding the +7 Sunsword (bullwhip came in useful here).
> A vanquished monster has now dropped a wand of wishing 2,0 ! What will
> the next three pet (or otherwise) Archons he intends to wish up wield ?
> There don't seem to be sufficient Demonbanes and sunswords to go round !

Archons are lawful monsters, so it would be natural
to be them lawful artifacts. They start with long
swords so artifacts in that class should go first.
To me the ordered list should go something like this:

Demonbane, Sunsword, Excalibur, Snickersnee,
Greyswandir (not like I'd give this to a pet if I
had it). Those would be the first five. If
anyone should have more than five pet Archons it
would be time to move on to unaligned artifacts.

Tom Goodman wrote:

> Thanks for that info. I asked because it would seem that by using a
> bullwhip on the new pets one could get hold of desirable artifacts.
> Artifacts which would otherwise be hard to obtain by wishing owing to
> the number already generated. The weapons spoiler stated that:
>
> "a Humanoid angelic species have a 5% chance of being generated with a
> blessed rustproof Demonbane or Sunsword; 100% for Archons."
>
> Three Archons would seem to raise a problem.

No, when A's are created Demonbane and Sunsword are all
the artifacts that get created. After that they are all
rustproof long swords that are not artifacts. Go on an
A killing spree sometime and that's what you'll get,
plus a lot of shields.

> Three or four Archon pets (using taming spell or scroll if needed) plus
> discretionary use of their artifacts would seem to be a cunning and
> powerfull use of spare (oe perhaps early ?) wishes.

Or a lunatic waste of prefectly good weapons, chuckle.
Depends on how you view "powerfull" and what you want to
do with artifacts. More than a couple and it becomes a
hassle to shuttle a flock of pets to the same level
with you. And the abandoned pets end up ferral. Not a
great way to lose Frost Bane!

Ways to get cross-aligned artifacts is an interesting
discussion of its own. A's are a way to get these two.
Survive long enough and you'll be able to get them no
matter what your alignment.

Compare with Excalibur. It has a lot fewer non-wish ways
to arrive into the game. For a non-lawfull it takes a
[oOA (loses purchased/devine AC, not worth it) or wish or
bones.

Two of the chaotic artifacts are easy for any alignment.

I don't think any of the neutral artifacts can be gotten
by deliberate actions other than wishes. Even a [oOA
can't get you Vorpy when crowned. So only wish, bones or
random find on the floor.

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Ways to get cross-aligned artifacts is an interesting
> discussion of its own. A's are a way to get these two.
> Survive long enough and you'll be able to get them no
> matter what your alignment.

The two in discussion were Demonbane and Sunsword.

> Compare with Excalibur. It has a lot fewer non-wish ways
> to arrive into the game. For a non-lawfull it takes a
> [oOA (loses purchased/devine AC, not worth it) or wish or
> bones.
>
> Two of the chaotic artifacts are easy for any alignment.
>
> I don't think any of the neutral artifacts can be gotten
> by deliberate actions other than wishes. Even a [oOA
> can't get you Vorpy when crowned. So only wish, bones or
> random find on the floor.

The discussion about Priest extinctionist reminded me of a
way to get one neutral artifact. Just like there's a type
of monster that has a 5% chance of getting specific lawfull
artifacts (in addition to a type with 100% chance), there
is a speciic type of monster that gets a 5% chance of
getting a specific neutral artifact. Face enough arch
liches and eventually one should arrive carrying it.

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> No, when A's are created Demonbane and Sunsword are all
> the artifacts that get created. After that they are all
> rustproof long swords that are not artifacts. Go on an
> A killing spree sometime and that's what you'll get,
> plus a lot of shields.

> I don't think any of the neutral artifacts can be gotten
> by deliberate actions other than wishes. Even a [oOA
> can't get you Vorpy when crowned. So only wish, bones or
> random find on the floor.

Many thanks for the clarification. It was just a thought...

My Touristic image will then try for just a Demonbane equipped Archon.
He'll be weaponed up via the bullwhip and will be jolly useful for the
time being.

The Vorpal Blade was acquired by sacrificing and is now being wielded a
pet Iron Golem-coulden't seem to persuade any other pet to use it.
Possibly because a tame Dwarf King wielding + 7 matock keeps demolishing
all corridor and dead end walls, so there is no chance to keep pets on
an object for very long.

? Perhaps a cursed bullwhip should work in reverse: "With which weapon
in your inventory do you want to equip your pet ?"

Or should I say a Negative Bullwhip ? A blessed one might allow any pet
to be equipped with any weapon, assuming it has the necessary limbs. If
not , a bad effect mught follow...the weapon disintegrates/explodes. In
that case a cursed negative bullwhip could give the owner's best weapon
to the pet and curse it so it cant be gotten back.