1200MHz T-bird Heating Problems

G

Ok, so I just got a 1200MHz T-bird (266mhz fsb) and an ECS K7VZA motherboard. Very standard putting computer assembly stuff - used anti static glove, screwed everything in properly (just so you know i've homebuilt 6 computers without flaw), and when I turned it on, I went to the BIOS to snoop around. Mind you that the heatsink was well attached to the cpu, it didnt knock off any components on the motherboard (or chip the blue-green cpu core), and that the it was doing its job of disappating heat. I watched the temperature rise (on more than one occasion) to 83 celsius (181 fahrenheit). Eventually, the computer stopped posting. I imagine that the chip is somehow ruined, but my real question is why this happened.

I also tried an Alpha heatsink, one that I used to use for Celeron overclocking (dual 466->600). Both heatsinks i've used had thermal transfer compound on them. Still no luck. The computer also froze several times while in the BIOS.. what do you expect for such a temperature! The motherboard autodetected the processor speed, so it shouldnt be an overclocking issue. The motherboard's jumpers were all properly set (to factory settings).

Plese let me know if anybody has had similar problems. And please don't tell me about thermal compound, making sure the heatsink is touching the CPU core, knocking off resistors, needing a bigger fan, or something of that nature - this seems to be a very unique problem and it does not result from lack of computer assembly knowhow. The processor worked, it just got really really hot. The heatsink got so hot that I couldnt even touch it. Any ideas?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
erm
sorry, but it sounds like you fried the cpu. with the little celery heatsink, the temps will have been high, but if you were only in the bios, MY OPINION is that the hsf would have been ok to keep the temp below "KILL" temp, BUT, I think that the heatsink wasnt seated properly, seen it loads of times before (unfortunately...) its all to easy to do. get yourself a decent HSF, take the cpu back to where you got it from and when they ask when it died, say it had been running constant for a few days, that way you may hget an exchange. To confirm the cpu is fried, remove it, it will probably smell, and the bottom may well show obvious signs of heat failure (i.e. sticker burnt off)

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

G

more specifically, how do i tell what is busted - is it the motherboard, or the chip? on a side note - now that the computer doesnt post, i have noticed that the chip makes no heat whatsoever - i leave it on for a few minutes (while it does absolutely nothing), turn it off, and check the core, its at room temperature. the chip also does not have anything burned on it nor does it smell. and i assure you that the heatsink is properly applied, complete with thermal compound and contact on the core (and no physical damage to the chip).

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I watched the temperature rise (on more than one occasion) to 83 celsius (181 fahrenheit).
I once forgot to remove the tape that covered thermal compound on HSF and CPU's temp was rising almost like that (65C).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, I did the same thing, but I remembered right after I put the HSF on, so I just had to take it off again and fix it.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

I took that little tab thing off, only the thermal transfer goo was left. The chip just got hotter and hotter, then the system froze. The heatsink is, was, and ever shall be applied properly - I know that is not the issue here. help me please!

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Just to add my 2 pennies. I didn't read anything about a heatsink fan????? Am I to asume you only used a heatsink, and not a fan on top of it? If this is not the case, then I would think that your heatsink was not properly seated on your cpu, and thus did not transfer any heat away from it. I fried an Athlon gig in about 5 seconds flat, because I didn't have it properly seated against my Heatsink.

G

did you make sure that you put the CPU in the right direction? I am sure that isn't the problem, but it could be..

"One day, the world will know that I was right"

FatBurger

Illustrious
A CPU shouldn't be able to be inserted incorrectly. But it brings up another question - how is your motherboard mounted? You don't want the pins behind the processor jumpered by anything.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
83C? Gotta ALWAYS use approved HSF...(which you didn't list for us). 83C?...BTW, I've installed many a HSF and I also thought I'd installed the HSF properly the time I burnt an athlon CPU. Just because you attached the clip properly, doesn't mean the clip is actually working properly either.

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
This sounds like it has to be a HSF issue. I can't imagine the chip would somehow be defective and burn itself out even with a properly installed HSF. They test the things before they ship. Plus, to have the thing fry with a proper HSF install, I would think you would have to apply some major voltage to the thing. Much more than most if not all motherboards out there would allow. My guess is the HSF you used just wasn't properly designed for use with t-birds, and thus wasn't making proper contact with the core and cause it to fry. Just my two cents though.

That oughta void your warrenty!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dude you are like 1 out of 1000's per day same story same cpu, when will ppl learn? man when?

RMA that POS back to AMD, not to the reseller(they don't want to hear it) AMD needs more ppl in their RMA dept :)

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
yes one of thousands, that has got to be the dumbest statement I've heard from you yet.

Imagine my overclocked 1 gig Athlon running at 1314mhz at a chilly 30C with a heatsink that is over a year old.

My bet is this guy has not a clue as to what he's doing.

G

Yup, i guess AMD cant cool there own chips. I think amd whats you to spend more by a getting a real heatsink and void your warranty so they don't have to care about you. RMA of AMD sucks.

! Member of the Intel Triple Threat w/ Fugger and AMDmeltdown !

G

the heatsink it came with was what the reseller called a "Basic Fan Heatsink", "40mm Fan - 3400RPM", "6.5 CU/FT Min Air Flow". It had a rectangle of thermal transfer goo on it, and this was perfectly pressing down on the core itself, and the brackets were tightly clamped down to the socket. This HSF was on there.

When the temperature started to rise so high I immediately shut it down and inspected the HSF and how it was mounted. It was tightly applied and the heatsink with thermal compound goo was pressed tightly against the core.

I have heard Athlons are extremely susceptible to overheating.. but this is ridiculous! Then I tried the same thing with an Alpha, (which like i said was used on overclocked celerons for months), and the chip was still reaching very high temperatures. I know the heatsinks were disappating at least some heat because they too were reaching these fearfully high temperatures.

Yikes!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Maybe the Bridges that by default tell the CPU what Voltage to give it were/are touching in soem way where they shouldn't be. Mayeb you didn't fill in the L1 bridges on the CPU but instead the L7 bridges???? I really dont nkow, but it could be even that AMD sumhow incorectly cut and left open some of the bridges on the CPU...
When it was posting (even with this high heat) what was the BIOS saying the Voltage was ?

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the heatsink it came with was what the reseller called a "Basic Fan Heatsink", "40mm Fan - 3400RPM", "6.5 CU/FT Min Air Flow". It had a rectangle of thermal transfer goo on it, and this was perfectly pressing down on the core itself, and the brackets were tightly clamped down to the socket. This HSF was on there.
It's more like a HSF for K6-2(!!!), and that's why it's overheat. It should be at least capable of 18 CFM air flow. Get better one such as <b><A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/VOLCANO2.htm" target="_new">Thermaltake Volcano II</A></b> (Max ~ 36 CFM) or <b><A HREF="http://www.globalwin.com.tw/new-product/fop32.html" target="_new">GlobalWin FOP-32</A></b> (Max ~ 26 CFM).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm not going to read all the flames that are surely below this, but basically it works like this:

For your cpu you needed a proper HSF that could disipate enough heat. The celeron one can't. I made the same mistake as you on a Duron 800, but since it doesn't dissipate that much heat I was able to catch the problem in time. You unfortionately had very little time.

Next time use either a stock hsf that comes with a retail chip, or check out tom's hsf guide. Also use good thermal paste applied correctly.

Mistakes happen so don't sweat it, at least the components are very cheap nowadays.

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

DurocShark

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
I didn't see it anywhere above, so forgive me if it was already mentioned...

What VOLTAGE did your MB report for the CPU?

Also, there is a possibility it's a motherboard issue, not a CPU one. It could be forcing too much voltage to the cpu.

Did you verify the fan was turning on the HSF?

Just some things to look at.

Regardless of what "others" may say, NO manufacturer will ship a product that fails that dramatically. It is a defective part somewhere, or a build issue. But it IS NOT a product-wide defect. So check it out methodically. It is probably something easily fixable.

What I'd do is take the MB and CPU back to where you bought them and ask THEM to test. Most sellers are more than happy to check it out and help. A bad part they just send back for credit. No sweat.

Good luck!

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Actually, your statement is only half true. I have my gig athlon at 1314mhz, with an Alpha Pal-6035, which was originally a celeron socket 370 heatsink. All that matters is the fan cooling the heatsink. Any big honkin chunk of aluminum, with some sort of fins, painted black, with a nice shiney lapped bottom, with a 38cfm Delta, or a 34cfm Evercool 60mm fan attached will cool anything out there today.

These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary.