Color in Windows Nethack status line??

Recently I have been playing the tty version of Nethack on
nethack.alt.org, and a few other telnet sites.

I noticed a nice feature in the tty version which is lacking (i think)
in the Window$ version.

In the status line, your health will change color depending on your
overall condition, changing from green, to yellow, then red when you
are very low on HP's.

This is a great feature, and instantly alerts me to my health if I am
being lax and not paying attention.

However, I have a few tile sets I like to play from time to time in the
Windows binary of Nethack, and the status line in unfortunately static
black. Many a time, I have failed to notice my HP's are getting low.
Yeah, I should pay more attention, but it would still be nice to have
the visual cue.

Is there an option flag I can set to accomplish this in NethackW?? Or
would I need to find the patch and recompile the binary (ugh)??

Thanks!

Cyde Weys wrote:

> "Brigand" <markashall@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1121277711.247906.5950
>
>> Is there an option flag I can set to accomplish this [hpmon] in
>> NethackW?? Or would I need to find the patch and recompile the binary
>> (ugh)??
>
> It works just fine for me, and everyone else I watch playing Nethack too.
> Methinks something is wrong with your configuration file. You can use
> the following link to see everyone's config files. You might want to
> check out mine first, because I know it's working.

You misread the original post; it works for him on the TTY version on NAO,
but not on his Window$ tiles version. The best solution, of course, is to
dump the tiles version on the trash pile, spit on it, and install a Real
Version ;P

--
Benjamin Lewis

All what we got here is American made.
It's a little bit cheesy, but it's nicely displayed. -- FZ

"Brigand" <markashall@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1121277711.247906.5950
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Recently I have been playing the tty version of Nethack on
> nethack.alt.org, and a few other telnet sites.
>

> I noticed a nice feature in the tty version which is lacking (i think)
> in the Window$ version.
>

> In the status line, your health will change color depending on your
> overall condition, changing from green, to yellow, then red when you
> are very low on HP's.
>

> This is a great feature, and instantly alerts me to my health if I am
> being lax and not paying attention.
>
> However, I have a few tile sets I like to play from time to time in the
> Windows binary of Nethack, and the status line in unfortunately static
> black. Many a time, I have failed to notice my HP's are getting low.
> Yeah, I should pay more attention, but it would still be nice to have
> the visual cue.
>
> Is there an option flag I can set to accomplish this in NethackW?? Or
> would I need to find the patch and recompile the binary (ugh)??

It works just fine for me, and everyone else I watch playing Nethack too.
Methinks something is wrong with your configuration file. You can use the
following link to see everyone's config files. You might want to check out
mine first, because I know it's working.

http://alt.org/nethack/rcfiles/

And if that doesn't work, something is wrong with your telnet client. I
recommend PuTTY.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Kevin Wayne wrote:

> On 7/13/05 6:23 PM, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>
>> You misread the original post; it works for him on the TTY version on
>> NAO, but not on his Window$ tiles version. The best solution, of
>> course, is to dump the tiles version on the trash pile, spit on it, and
>> install a Real Version ;P
>
> Which, iirc, will still have to be patched in order to display HP in
> color on the status line.

Yes, although some packaged versions come with it installed already
(e.g. Debian's version of NetHack comes with it).

--

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:01:51 -0700, Brigand wrote:

> Recently I have been playing the tty version of Nethack on
> nethack.alt.org, and a few other telnet sites.
>

> I noticed a nice feature in the tty version which is lacking (i think) in
> the Window$ version.
>

> In the status line, your health will change color depending on your
> overall condition, changing from green, to yellow, then red when you are
> very low on HP's.

The Gnome GUI/tiled version does the same trick - whenever you lose health
(or other status) the colour changes to red for a few moves, gaining
health turns it green. Also the 'cursor' around your player changes
colour reflecting your current status - white for 100% healthy, dark
red/purple when on deaths door and all the shades in between. Does the
player cursor not do that in the Windows version?

On 7/13/05 6:23 PM, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> You misread the original post; it works for him on the TTY version on NAO,
> but not on his Window$ tiles version. The best solution, of course, is to
> dump the tiles version on the trash pile, spit on it, and install a Real
> Version ;P

Which, iirc, will still have to be patched in order to display HP in
color on the status line.

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong

"Brigand" <markashall@hotmail.com> writes:

> I noticed a nice feature in the tty version which is lacking (i think)
> in the Window$ version.
> In the status line, your health will change color depending on your
> overall condition, changing from green, to yellow, then red when you
> are very low on HP's.

The feature is not there in a vanilla Nethack version distributed by the
devteam, it is a patch originally written by Ralph Churchill.
And nethack.alt.org runs a version with that patch.
The patch only affects the tty version, I don't remember hearing about
anybody having ported it to any graphical version.

--
Jukka Lahtinen