Tourist having trouble killing a vampire (questions about ..

Last response: in Video Games
a b α HP
July 13, 2005 10:59:24 PM

I'm playing a Tourist. He does noticeably less damage than the other
classes I've tried to far.

The bottom of the mines is the one with the Vampires. I reached Expert
in dagger. I chuck a bunch of regular daggers at the vampire, engrave
"Elbereth" to move him away from that square, collect the daggers, and
throw them at the Vampire again, and repeat this whole thing a couple
times.

I've thrown a lot of daggers, and the Vampire isn't dead yet. I'm not
sure if they have really fast HP regeneration or something. I tried
melee hitting them with a runed dagger, but that wasn't killing the
Vampire either.

Question 1) Even though I'm expert in daggers, is it more effective to
hit them when daggers (low damage, but multiple hits per turn), or use
a hard hitting weapon like a 2H-sword at basic skill (higher damage,
but one hit per turn)?

Question 2) I checked the spoilers, but I still have no idea how hit
dice work. Is there a formula to convert hit dice into HP? The only
thing I could find is "a value of 50 or greater
means the monster will have 2*(LEV-6) hit points.", but a Vampire has a
hit dice less than 50. Like, I'm wondering how to figure out how much
HP the vampire has.

Question 3) How fast is the Vampire HP regeneration? Like, when I
chase him away with Elbereth and am collecting my daggers, has he
regenerated a big chunk of his life back?

I think the moral of the story is I should just avoid them, collect the
luck stone, and leave. But I was wondering how to kill them just in
case I have to.
July 13, 2005 11:11:00 PM

chillynois@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm playing a Tourist. He does noticeably less damage than the other
> classes I've tried to far.
>
> The bottom of the mines is the one with the Vampires. I reached Expert
> in dagger. I chuck a bunch of regular daggers at the vampire, engrave
> "Elbereth" to move him away from that square, collect the daggers, and
> throw them at the Vampire again, and repeat this whole thing a couple
> times.
>
> I've thrown a lot of daggers, and the Vampire isn't dead yet. I'm not
> sure if they have really fast HP regeneration or something. I tried
> melee hitting them with a runed dagger, but that wasn't killing the
> Vampire either.
>
> Question 1) Even though I'm expert in daggers, is it more effective to
> hit them when daggers (low damage, but multiple hits per turn), or use
> a hard hitting weapon like a 2H-sword at basic skill (higher damage,
> but one hit per turn)?
>
> Question 2) I checked the spoilers, but I still have no idea how hit
> dice work. Is there a formula to convert hit dice into HP? The only
> thing I could find is "a value of 50 or greater
> means the monster will have 2*(LEV-6) hit points.", but a Vampire has a
> hit dice less than 50. Like, I'm wondering how to figure out how much
> HP the vampire has.
>
> Question 3) How fast is the Vampire HP regeneration? Like, when I
> chase him away with Elbereth and am collecting my daggers, has he
> regenerated a big chunk of his life back?
>
> I think the moral of the story is I should just avoid them, collect the
> luck stone, and leave. But I was wondering how to kill them just in
> case I have to.

Van Helsing would turn in his grave!!!

A.
!