440LX - What's it's Potential?

owais

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
I have a friend that has this chipset with a Pentium II 266. I would like to know if this chipset can handle a PIII. If not, what is the highest PII that this chipset can handle?
Thanks in advance

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
can handle the 333 P-2 for sure

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

G

Right, PII 350 uses 100 Mhx bus. And LX440 can't handle that.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
It can take up to a 333PII. You can get a Slotket and slap in a 533 Celly as well. It may require a Bios flash though.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I was just about to say that... :)

Make sure the slket however has the capability to manually set Voltages, as I've heard a lot of 440LX boards didnt have Jumper Blocks or Dip switches to change the Voltage.

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Most of the new slocket adapters also include voltage regulators, so you can use the misnamed Celeron II (they're actually the third generation). With the 66 bus, you can put in a 766 celeron (800 use a 100 mHz bus).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NO THEY DON'T. The only common addapter I can think of that does is made by powerleap and is expensive. The more common ones simply adjust what default foltage is DETECTED by the motherboard, and the motherboard must be able to support that voltage. Most older motherboards cannot supply less than 2 volts. The Powerleap uses resistors to drop that voltage, the others do not. He should stick to a PPGA Celeron (the one with the metal cover molded in), as it is a higher voltage processor.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
I think you should just skip the whole 440LX thing, since by this time, for a comperable price, you could go out and get yourself a low speed Duron or Celery (although the Celeron CPU is a bit castrated, and not quite that fast, from what I hear). But, I have an LX, and my mobo is so old, it can only support up to the 300 that's in there... stupid OEM junk. Good stable chipset though... too bad its so old and unable to run anything decent.

-SammyBoy

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, but I disagree. The Abit Slocket III will adjust the voltage down to Coopermine voltage for boards (like my old Asus P2B) that couldn't handle the voltage of a Coopermine. Asus also makes a slocket that adapts the voltage.

But, like the poster above pointed out, you're kinda beating an old horse. With a 66 mHz front bus, while we now have double and quad pumped FSB out there, it may not be worth the investment.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you read my post about pin tricks? The PIII has three voltage detection pins, which one are connected or disonnected determine the voltage the motherboard detects. I sit here looking at my spare SlotketIII and I see only two resistors, one transistor, some capacitors, and an IC. I don't think that two resistors would be enough to provide the full range of voltages. I therefore propose that the SlotketIII instead uses voltage identification pin re-assignment.

owais

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate this. Since this is for a friend, im probably gonna just hook him up with an affordable Duron solution, as it does seen to be beating an old horse.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Teh fastest inexpensive upgrade is the Celeron PPGA 533 on a slotket. The newer FC-PGA (aka "Flip-Chip", "Celeron 2") would most likely not work.