Athlon Thunderbird and Asus K7V

G

I wanne know if it's possible to use a AMD Athlon Thunderbird 800 Mhz, Slot A on a Asus K7V mobo.
Can anybody tell me this?

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
It's very possible, as logn as its Slot A (The CPU im talkign here)
becasue AMD made a select few of Slot A Thunderbirds, and it was mostly for Computer manufactures like Compaq and IBm and Gateway etc.
K7V = Slot A
Thunderbird (pretty much only found in Socket A format)
so if you want to use one, either create ur own Sloket Adapter sumhow (and send design specs to a company like Abit or ASUS and maybe they'll make one) or your gonna have to find a Slot A Athlon Thunderbird SUMHOW.

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)

G

I know that tom made an artikale about using an thunderbird slot a and a asus k7v. I'm using an AMD athlon 600 right now and want to upgrade without bying a new mobo.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well that shall be very difficult seeing how finding Slot A CPU's are next to impossible (or if found not worth the $$) You'd prolyl end up saving in the end for just buying a new MB and cheap Duron.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I will tell you that I tried to put a slotted T-bird in that very same motherboard and did not even get a POST. From what I understand, the KX-133 chipset does not do well with T-bird class processors. You may have to downgrade your motherboard to the AMD Irongate chipset as this has full support for the T-birds.

This option really does not make sense however as if you upgrading, you want newer stuff, not older stuff. You may have to fork out the cash to get a new motherboard, chip, and HSF. This however still is not that bad in cost, if you do your shopping, you could do the whole thing for under $200.00 US$.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>