tin question

Are the contents of a tin determined before or after you open the tin? I'm
not talking about the szechuan / french fried / homemade-ness of the goods
but the actual foodstuff.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:

> Are the contents of a tin determined before or after you open the tin?
> I'm not talking about the szechuan / french fried / homemade-ness of the
> goods but the actual foodstuff.

Without looking at the source, I think it has to be before. That's why
some tins stack, even when not identified.

--
Benjamin Lewis

All what we got here is American made.
It's a little bit cheesy, but it's nicely displayed. -- FZ

It's deteremined before hand. You can use a scroll or spell of identify
to find out what's inside the tin without opening it. This is true of
the various kinds of eggs, as well.

But come on, where's the fun in that? If you ID them first, it's not
nearly as much fun to see "It smells like wood nymphs.". It's always
struck me as funny that adventurers can't tell a diamond from a piece
of glass, but yet they're born with an extensive knowledge about what
every kind of monster in the dungeon smells like. :)

Stathol wrote:
> It's deteremined before hand. You can use a scroll or spell of identify
> to find out what's inside the tin without opening it. This is true of
> the various kinds of eggs, as well.
>
> But come on, where's the fun in that? If you ID them first, it's not
> nearly as much fun to see "It smells like wood nymphs.". It's always
> struck me as funny that adventurers can't tell a diamond from a piece
> of glass, but yet they're born with an extensive knowledge about what
> every kind of monster in the dungeon smells like. :)

At least in Slash'EM, if you haven't met the monster yet and the tin is
unidentified, you'll, for example, get the message "It smells vaguely
like dragons" instead of "It smells like green dragon" (Don't know the
exact words; too lazy to check, but should be close enough).

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Zarel
\____/

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>
> > Are the contents of a tin determined before or after you open the tin?
> > I'm not talking about the szechuan / french fried / homemade-ness of the
> > goods but the actual foodstuff.
>
> Without looking at the source, I think it has to be before. That's why
> some tins stack, even when not identified.

Also, if you find tins in a group of more than one, and eat one of
them, the other is always the type of the other one. (I think it might
even auto-ID it, but it's been a while since I noticed.)

- John H.

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Zarel wrote:

>> It's deteremined before hand. You can use a scroll or spell of identify
>> to find out what's inside the tin without opening it. This is true of
>> the various kinds of eggs, as well.
>>
>> But come on, where's the fun in that? If you ID them first, it's not
>> nearly as much fun to see "It smells like wood nymphs.". It's always
>> struck me as funny that adventurers can't tell a diamond from a piece
>> of glass, but yet they're born with an extensive knowledge about what
>> every kind of monster in the dungeon smells like. :)
>
> At least in Slash'EM, if you haven't met the monster yet and the tin is
> unidentified, you'll, for example, get the message "It smells vaguely
> like dragons" instead of "It smells like green dragon" (Don't know the
> exact words; too lazy to check, but should be close enough).

Or just (from memory, I give no guarantees) "The smell is unfamiliar".

John H. wrote:
> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>>Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>>
>>>Are the contents of a tin determined before or after you open the tin?
>>>I'm not talking about the szechuan / french fried / homemade-ness of the
>>>goods but the actual foodstuff.
>>
>>Without looking at the source, I think it has to be before. That's why
>>some tins stack, even when not identified.
>
> Also, if you find tins in a group of more than one, and eat one of
> them, the other is always the type of the other one. (I think it might
> even auto-ID it, but it's been a while since I noticed.)

It could auto-ID, but unfortunately it doesn't.

Janis

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

>>> Without looking at the source, I think it has to be before. That's why
>>> some tins stack, even when not identified.
>>
>> Also, if you find tins in a group of more than one, and eat one of
>> them, the other is always the type of the other one. (I think it might
>> even auto-ID it, but it's been a while since I noticed.)
>
> It could auto-ID, but unfortunately it doesn't.

I've never understood how you'd be able to tell tins apart well enough
to recognize, when you pull them out of your bag a thousand turns later,
that THAT tin has jackals in it and THIS one has frost giant.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:28:31 +0200, Sean <sgegg@hotspammeallyouwantpop.com>
wrote:

>>> Also, if you find tins in a group of more than one, and eat one of
>>> them, the other is always the type of the other one. (I think it might
>>> even auto-ID it, but it's been a while since I noticed.)
>>
>> It could auto-ID, but unfortunately it doesn't.
>
>I've never understood how you'd be able to tell tins apart well enough
>to recognize, when you pull them out of your bag a thousand turns later,
>that THAT tin has jackals in it and THIS one has frost giant.

Simple. Back when you ID'ed them, you wrote a j on one and an H on the
other...

--
-b

1 5966142 ___-Wiz-Hum-Mal-Neu ascended to demigod-hood. 261 [361]
Displayed email address has been spamproofed, reverse username to deproof.

Sean <sgegg@hotspammeallyouwantpop.com> writes:

> >> Also, if you find tins in a group of more than one, and eat one of
> >> them, the other is always the type of the other one. (I think it might
> >> even auto-ID it, but it's been a while since I noticed.)
> > It could auto-ID, but unfortunately it doesn't.
>
> I've never understood how you'd be able to tell tins apart well enough
> to recognize, when you pull them out of your bag a thousand turns later,
> that THAT tin has jackals in it and THIS one has frost giant.

They are probably all the same shape and size, because they were made
with the same kit.

--
David Grabiner, grabiner@alumni.princeton.edu, http://remarque.org/~grabiner
Baseball labor negotiations FAQ: http://remarque.org/~grabiner/laborfaq.html

On Sat, 15 Jul 2005, Stathol wrote:

> But come on, where's the fun in that? If you ID them first, it's not
> nearly as much fun to see "It smells like wood nymphs.". It's always
> struck me as funny that adventurers can't tell a diamond from a piece
> of glass, but yet they're born with an extensive knowledge about what
> every kind of monster in the dungeon smells like. :)

....after being cooked, fried, boiled, maybe with added spices.

"It smells like there's a lot of pepper in it." :)

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

David J. Grabiner wrote:

>>>It could auto-ID, but unfortunately it doesn't.
>>
>>I've never understood how you'd be able to tell tins apart well enough
>>to recognize, when you pull them out of your bag a thousand turns later,
>>that THAT tin has jackals in it and THIS one has frost giant.
>
> They are probably all the same shape and size, because they were made
> with the same kit.

I kind of assumed a tinning kit would make the same shape of tin no
matter what's being tinned.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> Are the contents of a tin determined before or after you open the tin? I'm
> not talking about the szechuan / french fried / homemade-ness of the goods
> but the actual foodstuff.

YANI: A Schroedinger's tin. The contents would be determined upon
opening, and there would be a chance that a monster comes out alive.
YAYANI: A spinach golem.

jacobs.ivo@gmail.com wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>
> > Are the contents of a tin determined before or after you open the tin? I'm
> > not talking about the szechuan / french fried / homemade-ness of the goods
> > but the actual foodstuff.
>
> YANI: A Schroedinger's tin. The contents would be determined upon
> opening, and there would be a chance that a monster comes out alive.
> YAYANI: A spinach golem.

YANI based on wording. In fighting, wielding two weapons at
the same time is sometimes called "Florentine style" based on
use of two daggers in a dueling tradition from that city. In
cooking "Florentine style" means a dish with spinach in it.
There are lichens and kelp fronds, so there should also be
spinach plants. These spinach plants should increase strength
less than a can, homemade cans no better than the plant, and
the plant should only be common on the quest of a character
class able to #twoweapon.