Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Asus t101mt performance + incorrect battery and mis-advertised ram

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 19, 2011 1:24:44 AM

1. Performance is TERRIBLE. For a cpu faster than n270, it doesn't perform like it. It has an n455 but it's so slow. Is it because of all the bloatware?

2. On the box, the battery says 4 cell. On the walmart web page it says 6 cell. On the laptop itself it says 6.5 hours (6 cell)

3. On walmart site it also says "2gb DDR3" but it comes with 1gb ddr2 + 1gb on board (not sure what that's about)

What can I do for each of these?
a c 571 D Laptop
March 19, 2011 2:28:43 AM

1. It's mostly because it's an Atom CPU.

Passmark CPU scores:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60GHz 304
Intel Atom N455 @ 1.66GHz 311

What version of Windows is it running?
m
0
l
March 19, 2011 2:32:42 AM

WR2 said:
1. It's mostly because it's an Atom CPU.

Passmark CPU scores:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60GHz 304
Intel Atom N455 @ 1.66GHz 311

What version of Windows is it running?


Windows 7 pro

And the thing is, the n270 with 1gb was a lot faster. I am going to try formatting and installing windows 7 ultimate which did wonders for 2 computers already, including the n270 with 1gb.

That's the only thing I can think of that will help.

I heard about drive cloning so that I can just put it back the way it is now?

Is there any free programs that will do that? I would like to put it back to factory settings if I decide to take it back after all.

It did not come with any cd's and I'm not sure about a recovery option.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 571 D Laptop
March 19, 2011 2:39:00 AM

3. Did you check the RAM slot on the back side?
If there's RAM there you have 2GB. No RAM? the 1 GB model.
There is 1GB RAM permanently mounted on the motherboard area.
m
0
l
March 19, 2011 2:39:50 AM

WR2 said:
3. Did you check the RAM slot on the back side?
If there's RAM there you have 2GB. No RAM? the 1 GB model.
There is 1GB RAM permanently mounted on the motherboard area.


Checking now
m
0
l
a c 571 D Laptop
March 19, 2011 2:40:52 AM

Why would you pay extra to upgrade to Win7 Ultimate?

Seems to me it would slow that system down even more. Especially if it's 64bit version.
m
0
l
a c 571 D Laptop
March 19, 2011 2:42:35 AM

NewEgg is listing 2GB than they're pretty good at figuring that stuff out.
And I'm not surprised Walmart is somewhat confused. They're not all that up-to-date on tech stuff.
m
0
l
March 19, 2011 2:46:51 AM

WR2 said:
Why would you pay extra to upgrade to Win7 Ultimate?

Seems to me it would slow that system down even more. Especially if it's 64bit version.


first of all, it has only boosted the speed of the 1005ha and another sony notebook compared to the OS it comes with and the bloatware.

Second, I have a copy of it already that I got from a friend. He works at a store I can't name and gets them dirt cheap

And I assume this means I have 2gb.

Which would only leave the performance issue (up to me to test) and the battery.

m
0
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
March 19, 2011 2:53:37 AM

Netbooks are not powerful. I had an 1005hab eepc netbook and first thing I did was reinstall win7 to get rid of the crap that came with it next I replaced the one gig stick with 2 gigs for a total of 3 gigs.it wasn't blazing but way batter than when I first got it.
Share
March 19, 2011 2:54:59 AM

christop said:
Netbooks are not powerful. I had an 1005hab eepc netbook and first thing I did was reinstall win7 to get rid of the crap that came with it next I replaced the one gig stick with 2 gigs it wasn't blazing but way batter than when I first got it.


Exactly. I know the performance right now isn't terrible, but the cpu is always maxed out which almost never happened on the 1005ha.

Not only that but 700mb of ram are ALWAYS being used even with nothing running.
m
0
l
a c 571 D Laptop
March 19, 2011 3:07:39 AM

That's 2GB onboard.

HWInfo32 will let you peek at what's actually inside. Just to be sure.
http://www.hwinfo.com/download32.html
Will also monitor system temps and is just plain handy to have around.
m
0
l
a c 571 D Laptop
March 19, 2011 3:10:09 AM

casemods said:
Not only that but 700mb of ram are ALWAYS being used even with nothing running.
This is actually a GOOD thing.
What is the use of having all that RAM if it's not getting used?
You can expect performance to improve over time (a fairly short period) as Win7 gets familar with the system, it's programs and how you use the system.

There are guides out there on how to optimize Win7 to run on low performance systems.
m
0
l
March 25, 2011 11:58:35 PM

I emailed walmart and got the $20 next day shipping refunded.

Not sure if I want to take the netbook back though.

I formatted with win 7 ultimate and it's a lot faster.
m
0
l
March 28, 2011 11:57:14 PM

They refunded the warranty today.

I took the netbook back to the store yesterday for a full cash refund.

Walmart is really under-rated.
m
0
l
March 28, 2011 11:58:00 PM

Best answer selected by scarslilpyro.
m
0
l
!