DiamondRobin is dead

Last response: in Video Games
July 17, 2005 12:06:29 AM

I have the impression, DiamondRobin is dead...

DiamondRobin, the chaotic human barbarian ascended today after more than
a month (real time) and 53515 moves (nethack time).

After this character has been started by someone (unknown to me) five
weeks ago, I continued the game quite infrequently, even with some huge
time gaps of more than a week each. Just once, in a single session, some
fellow joined the party.

  • Having had more time recently and being eager, I finished the game today.

    Watching NAO occasionally I got the impression that also the other Robins
    (RoundRobin, SquareRobin, DiamondRobin) are quite inactive.

    Is the Round Robin idea already dead?

    Janis

  • In comparison, the first games of DiamondRobin were processed by a
    couple of people, and quite fast (a few days), to ascension.
  • More about : diamondrobin dead

    Anonymous
    July 17, 2005 12:06:30 AM

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    > Watching NAO occasionally I got the impression that also the other
    > Robins (RoundRobin, SquareRobin, DiamondRobin) are quite inactive.
    >
    > Is the Round Robin idea already dead?

    I played on SquareRobin a few times. It seemed that a couple of people
    would get a character going, and then someone would kill it off without
    even a word to the group for anyone to find out what happened. The only
    time (to my knowledge) that anyone did post to let us know he killed
    off a character, he had quit because he didn't know how to save.

    There's little incentive to put any work into a character if there's a
    likelihood that someone is going to do that.

    --
    Kevin Wayne
    Anonymous

    Kevin Wayne wrote:
    > Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    >
    >>Watching NAO occasionally I got the impression that also the other
    >>Robins (RoundRobin, SquareRobin, DiamondRobin) are quite inactive.
    >>
    >>Is the Round Robin idea already dead?
    >
    > I played on SquareRobin a few times. It seemed that a couple of people
    > would get a character going, and then someone would kill it off without
    > even a word to the group for anyone to find out what happened.

    That's bad. I understand that the one might prefer to hide, but it's bad.

    > The only
    > time (to my knowledge) that anyone did post to let us know he killed
    > off a character, he had quit because he didn't know how to save.

    Ah, yes, I remember. I even observed it online - boy, what a sting into
    the heart it was. I think it was the very first game, when there was not
    yet a distinction of the three groups.

    > There's little incentive to put any work into a character if there's a
    > likelihood that someone is going to do that.

    I hoped that with the three groups it would get better.

    Janis
    July 17, 2005 5:39:43 AM

    On 16 Jul 2005 13:46:29 -0700, "Kevin Wayne"
    <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    >
    >I played on SquareRobin a few times. It seemed that a couple of people
    >would get a character going, and then someone would kill it off without
    >even a word to the group for anyone to find out what happened. The only
    >time (to my knowledge) that anyone did post to let us know he killed
    >off a character, he had quit because he didn't know how to save.
    >
    >There's little incentive to put any work into a character if there's a
    >likelihood that someone is going to do that.

    "Cockroaches: It's not what they eat or carry off that's the
    problem. It's what they fall into and mess up."

    - "The Franchise", by Peter Gent

    Jove
    Anonymous
    July 17, 2005 6:42:10 AM

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:

    > Watching NAO occasionally I got the impression that also the other
    > Robins (RoundRobin, SquareRobin, DiamondRobin) are quite inactive.

    I played RoundRobin for a while, collecting tons of items and polypiling
    them into almost everything you'd possibly need. I even explored
    Gehennom entirely and made shortcuts from upstair to downstair on every
    level.

    I cleared almost all levels in Gehennom, including the entire wizard's
    tower, except for the last room (I didn't wake up the wizard).

    RoundRobin was ready for ascension: all he needed was to get the Book,
    then the Amulet, and then run up and ascend. That's where I left him.

    To be sure, I just restarted the game to check, and returned RoundRobin
    to the altar/chest at dungeon level 11 where I left the stash.
    Everything was still there, and he still seems ready to ascend. I've
    played him long enough, I think. Who'll pick up the challenge and play
    the next 1000 turns?

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
    Anonymous
    July 17, 2005 6:42:11 AM

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:42:10 +0200:

    > To be sure, I just restarted the game to check, and returned RoundRobin
    > to the altar/chest at dungeon level 11 where I left the stash.
    > Everything was still there, and he still seems ready to ascend. I've
    > played him long enough, I think. Who'll pick up the challenge and play
    > the next 1000 turns?

    I took 1300 turns, from 87867 to 89168, and saved just after arriving on
    Astral. The character has everything needed to recharge the wands of
    death, teleport, and polymorph, if that is needed. Also 6!oFH and plenty
    of food. Also the [HoOA...

    Good luck to whomever is next.

    --
    "Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
    am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

    RoundRobin has ascended. Nothing too exciting, everything was set up well.
    Went to the right first was Death, back to the middle and Pesty and the
    correct altar. Made #579 on the top 2000 list.

    !