SP2 - need to update BIOS?

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
September 2, 2004 11:06:29 AM

Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
reason. Is this really necessary, if everything appears to be working
ok?

More about : sp2 update bios

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 2:25:18 PM

Good question. BIOS is something that you only update if you need to.

SP 2 is, in essence, a major upgrade to Windows XP. It's a good idea to
update the BIOS before upgrading your operating system, ergo Dell's
recommendation.

If you carefully follow Dell's instructions for updating your BIOS, the
process is safe. The rap against updating the BIOS is based on the fact that
if you mess up, or if there's a power surge or interruption while the update
is proceeding, your computer becomes a paperweight. Not permanently, but
it's a royal pain to get it going again. So, don't update the BIOS without
good reason. Installing SP 2 is a good enough reason.

Now, will your computer work properly if you install SP 2 without updating
the BIOS? Probably, but I'm not qualified to say that definitively.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Steve" <xfr@xvzvx.com> wrote in message
> Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
> But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
> reason. Is this really necessary, if everything appears to be working
> ok?

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 8:10:53 PM

Steve wrote:

> Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
> But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
> reason. Is this really necessary, if everything appears to be working
> ok?

What model is it and what BIOS version is it?

FWIW, I upgraded a Dimension 4500, 4550, 8100, 8200 as well as an
Inspiron 1100 with no issues at all.

Bob
Related resources
September 2, 2004 10:25:40 PM

"Steve" <xfr@xvzvx.com> wrote in message
> Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
> But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
> reason. Is this really necessary, if everything appears to be working
> ok?

I upgraded an 8200 to SP2 without changing the BIOS with no apparent problems.
(The thinking was if there were significant issues they would have popped up
by now.)

Bill
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 10:25:41 PM

I used a site to help update a computer today. I did not follow all of the
direction, but some. The update went well on my 8300.

"Bill" <xxx@yy.zz> wrote in message
> "Steve" <xfr@xvzvx.com> wrote in message
>> Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
>> But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
>> reason. Is this really necessary, if everything appears to be working
>> ok?
>>
> I upgraded an 8200 to SP2 without changing the BIOS with no apparent
> problems. (The thinking was if there were significant issues they would
> have popped up by now.)
>
> Bill

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 11:54:04 PM

Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:25:18 -0400 Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky" wrote:

> If you carefully follow Dell's instructions for updating your BIOS, the
> process is safe.

I have an (German) Dimension 8250 with BIOS-Version Dell A02. I
couldn't find any information on the German Dell site. Could you give
me some links for the English site to gather some information if an
upgrade is necessary and how it has to be done? Thank you.

Hans
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 12:55:43 AM

It's probably not necessary to update the BIOS unless you're having
problems. That said, I wanted to try it myself with my Dell 2400. It came
preinstalled with BIOS version A02 and I downloaded and installed version
A05. Very easy.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 8:18:19 AM

"Steve" <xfr@xvzvx.com> wrote in message
> Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
> But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
> reason.

That's old think. Always flash the latest BIOS but carefully.

> Is this really necessary, if everything appears to be working
> ok?

It's necessary for SP2 if you have a Prescott CPU on a 865 or 875 chipset
mobo.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 8:18:20 AM

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> "Steve" <xfr@xvzvx.com> wrote in message
>> Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
>> But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
>> reason.
>
> That's old think. Always flash the latest BIOS but carefully.

<snip>

Flashing a BIOS is actually very easy to do, whether it works as designed or
turns your mainboard into a TV tray.

Beware of others using superlatives in their advice (always, never, best,
worst, everybody, no one, etc....).

Stew
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 8:21:35 AM

"Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> Good question. BIOS is something that you only update if you need to.

That's old think. Always flash the latest BIOS but carefully.

> SP 2 is, in essence, a major upgrade to Windows XP. It's a good idea to
> update the BIOS before upgrading your operating system, ergo Dell's
> recommendation.
>
> If you carefully follow Dell's instructions for updating your BIOS, the
> process is safe.

And has been in most all cases for years now.

> The rap against updating the BIOS is based on the fact that
> if you mess up, or if there's a power surge or interruption while the
update
> is proceeding, your computer becomes a paperweight.

NOPE, just a slightly tedious process of replacing a BIOS chip.

> Not permanently, but
> it's a royal pain to get it going again. So, don't update the BIOS without
> good reason.

Nope, just don't do it when/where a power outage may be pending.

> Installing SP 2 is a good enough reason.

The existence of a more recent BIOS is a good enough reason.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 8:21:36 AM

What a smart guy you are: You can even tell when a power outage is pending.
Or maybe you're just a smart alec.

Ted Zieglar

> "Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > Good question. BIOS is something that you only update if you need to.
>
> That's old think. Always flash the latest BIOS but carefully.
>
> > SP 2 is, in essence, a major upgrade to Windows XP. It's a good idea to
> > update the BIOS before upgrading your operating system, ergo Dell's
> > recommendation.
> >
> > If you carefully follow Dell's instructions for updating your BIOS, the
> > process is safe.
>
> And has been in most all cases for years now.
>
> > The rap against updating the BIOS is based on the fact that
> > if you mess up, or if there's a power surge or interruption while the
> update
> > is proceeding, your computer becomes a paperweight.
>
> NOPE, just a slightly tedious process of replacing a BIOS chip.
>
> > Not permanently, but
> > it's a royal pain to get it going again. So, don't update the BIOS
without
> > good reason.
>
> Nope, just don't do it when/where a power outage may be pending.
>
> > Installing SP 2 is a good enough reason.
>
> The existence of a more recent BIOS is a good enough reason.

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 8:23:08 AM

"History Fan" <IHateSPAM!@IreallyHATESPAm.com> wrote in message
> It's probably not necessary to update the BIOS unless you're having
> problems. That said, I wanted to try it myself with my Dell 2400. It
came
> preinstalled with BIOS version A02 and I downloaded and installed version
> A05. Very easy.

And quite safe with due caution.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 9:24:16 AM

> What a smart guy you are: You can even tell when a power outage is
pending.
> Or maybe you're just a smart alec.

Get a clue. In most all places in the USA today power outages occur once in
a blue moon. Figure out the odds of a random unpredictable power outage
hitting in the 30 second period while the BIOS is acutally being updated.
Better start worrying about gaint meteroid impacts instead! If you are in a
situation where power is generally unstable or there's a lightning storm in
town then DON'T flash.

> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Good question. BIOS is something that you only update if you need to.
> >
> > That's old think. Always flash the latest BIOS but carefully.
> >
> > > SP 2 is, in essence, a major upgrade to Windows XP. It's a good idea
> > > update the BIOS before upgrading your operating system, ergo Dell's
> > > recommendation.
> > >
> > > If you carefully follow Dell's instructions for updating your BIOS,
the
> > > process is safe.
> >
> > And has been in most all cases for years now.
> >
> > > The rap against updating the BIOS is based on the fact that
> > > if you mess up, or if there's a power surge or interruption while the
> > update
> > > is proceeding, your computer becomes a paperweight.
> >
> > NOPE, just a slightly tedious process of replacing a BIOS chip.
> >
> > > Not permanently, but
> > > it's a royal pain to get it going again. So, don't update the BIOS
> without
> > > good reason.
> >
> > Nope, just don't do it when/where a power outage may be pending.
> >
> > > Installing SP 2 is a good enough reason.
> >
> > The existence of a more recent BIOS is a good enough reason.

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 12:34:28 PM

Fri, 03 Sep 2004 04:21:35 GMT Ron Reaugh wrote:

>> If you carefully follow Dell's instructions for updating your BIOS, the
>> process is safe.
>
> And has been in most all cases for years now.

Same question again:
Where do I find these instructions? Have you a link?
Hans
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 5:35:26 PM

On flashing a BIOS...

Yes, as long as one has the correct BIOS update and follows the manufacturer's
instructions exactly, a BIOS update is not risky. The major risk of a failed
BIOS update and a comatose motherboard is from a power outage, so it's a good
idea not to run a flash BIOS update in the midst of an electrical storm or when
trucks from the local power company are parked outside.

As a rule, the BIOS manufacturer (in this case, Dell) builds enough safeguards
into the flash BIOS software to prevent flashing with the wrong BIOS and to keep
people out of trouble. Occasionally, it is useful to know how to defeat these
safeguards, but that is beyond the scope of what most people need to do.

As to the downside of a failed flash BIOS update, the consequences are
considerable. The "slightly tedious process of replacing a BIOS chip" involves
de-soldering the old chip and soldering on a new chip, at least on all the
current Dell models. Any de-soldering and soldering of chips on modern circuit
boards requires far more sophisticated equipment than can be found at Home
Depot, Lowes, or any other fairly common outlet for tools. Um, this is far more
than "slightly tedious".

Socketed flash BIOS chips, which are really easy to replace, fell into disfavor
in the early Pentium era, a victim of cost savings. I have seen a few socketed
BIOS chips on modern motherboards, but they are few and far between. IBM
NetVista desktops have socketed BIOS chips.

There are two other possibilities for taking care of a failed flash BIOS update.
One is a BIOS recovery procedure, IF AND ONLY IF documented by the board
manufacturer. Intel-branded boards with a generic Intel BIOS have a
well-documented BIOS recovery procedure that works as long as the BIOS boot
block is not destroyed by the failed flash BIOS update.

The other approach is to use fairly sophisticated and uncommon equipment
designed to inject a flash BIOS onto the chip soldered onto the motherboard.
You might find this sort of equipment in test labs at Intel, Dell, HPaq, or
Gateway. In essence, you plug a self-contained single-board computer into a PCI
slot on a failed motherboard, the live single-board computer finds the BIOS chip
through standard Intel port hand-shaking procedures, and writes a new BIOS
image.

As to the necessity of flashing a BIOS, for many years the rule of thumb is to
update a BIOS to correct errors or add features which are important for ones use
of ones own computer. With a mainstream BIOS like a generic Intel one, there
are almost always documents which provide an audit trail of all the corrections
and changes made with each BIOS revision. I would suggest reading these
documents to see exactly what sorts of changes have been incorporated into the
BIOS over time. Be prepared to decipher some very much engineering-oriented
language and some obscure terminology.

If Dell recommends a BIOS update as a prelude to installing SP2, have at it if
you like. Frankly, unless there are detailed reasons explaining why a flash
update is needed for SP2, I think this is a knee-jerk reaction on the part of
Dell, who have undoubtedly tested SP2 almost exclusively on the newest computers
with the newest BIOS firmware.

For various reasons, I've done flash BIOS updates of thousands of motherboards
in the past 10 or 11 years, and I still look outside at the sky and at the
nearby power poles before running a flash update. I have never once had the
need to remove a soldered-on chip from a board, do not have the equipment to do
so, and never expect to get the equipment to do it.

Finally, if one still manages to end up with a dead motherboard from flashing
the BIOS, even with all the built-in safeguards and caveats, the quickest and
most straightforward action to get a live system again is to replace the
motherboard... Ben Myers

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 04:21:35 GMT, "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote:

>"Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> Good question. BIOS is something that you only update if you need to.
>
>That's old think. Always flash the latest BIOS but carefully.
>
>> SP 2 is, in essence, a major upgrade to Windows XP. It's a good idea to
>> update the BIOS before upgrading your operating system, ergo Dell's
>> recommendation.
>>
>> If you carefully follow Dell's instructions for updating your BIOS, the
>> process is safe.
>
>And has been in most all cases for years now.
>
>> The rap against updating the BIOS is based on the fact that
>> if you mess up, or if there's a power surge or interruption while the
>update
>> is proceeding, your computer becomes a paperweight.
>
>NOPE, just a slightly tedious process of replacing a BIOS chip.
>
>> Not permanently, but
>> it's a royal pain to get it going again. So, don't update the BIOS without
>> good reason.
>
>Nope, just don't do it when/where a power outage may be pending.
>
>> Installing SP 2 is a good enough reason.
>
>The existence of a more recent BIOS is a good enough reason.

September 3, 2004 5:35:27 PM

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>If Dell recommends a BIOS update as a prelude to installing SP2, have at it if
>you like. Frankly, unless there are detailed reasons explaining why a flash
>update is needed for SP2, I think this is a knee-jerk reaction on the part of
>Dell, who have undoubtedly tested SP2 almost exclusively on the newest computers
>with the newest BIOS firmware.

Not to mention that probably 99% of Dell's home PC customers have no
idea what the heck a BIOS is, let alone how to update it. So all of
those SP2 installations are gonna be without a new BIOS.

Thanks for all the info!
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 4:40:30 AM

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Steve" <xfr@xvzvx.com> wrote in message
> >> Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing SP2.
> >> But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very good
> >> reason.
> >
> > That's old think. Always flash the latest BIOS but carefully.
> >

> <snip>
>

> Flashing a BIOS is actually very easy to do, whether it works as designed
or
> turns your mainboard into a TV tray.
>
> Beware of others using superlatives in their advice (always, never, best,
> worst, everybody, no one, etc....).

Beware of trolls who do not contribute to threads but just waste bandwidth.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 4:47:35 AM

> On flashing a BIOS...
>
> Yes, as long as one has the correct BIOS update and follows the
manufacturer's
> instructions exactly, a BIOS update is not risky. The major risk of a
failed
> BIOS update and a comatose motherboard is from a power outage, so it's a
good
> idea not to run a flash BIOS update in the midst of an electrical storm or
when
> trucks from the local power company are parked outside.
>
> As a rule, the BIOS manufacturer (in this case, Dell) builds enough
safeguards
> into the flash BIOS software to prevent flashing with the wrong BIOS and
to keep
> people out of trouble. Occasionally, it is useful to know how to defeat
these
> safeguards, but that is beyond the scope of what most people need to do.
>
> As to the downside of a failed flash BIOS update, the consequences are
> considerable. The "slightly tedious process of replacing a BIOS chip"
involves
> de-soldering the old chip and soldering on a new chip, at least on all the
> current Dell models. Any de-soldering and soldering of chips on modern
circuit
> boards requires far more sophisticated equipment than can be found at Home
> Depot, Lowes, or any other fairly common outlet for tools. Um, this is
far more
> than "slightly tedious".

Dell solders in the BIOS chip...hmm...look for another vendor as noboby else
does that.

> Socketed flash BIOS chips, which are really easy to replace, fell into
disfavor
> in the early Pentium era, a victim of cost savings.

Not with competent vendors.

> I have seen a few socketed
> BIOS chips on modern motherboards, but they are few and far between.

Utter nonsense. Checkout any Intel, Asus, Abit, Gigabyte.....etc. mobo and
all are socketed BIOS!

Did you just make your post up from neverland as the rest of the drivel is
snipped?
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 4:50:38 AM

> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
> >If Dell recommends a BIOS update as a prelude to installing SP2, have at
it if
> >you like. Frankly, unless there are detailed reasons explaining why a
flash
> >update is needed for SP2, I think this is a knee-jerk reaction on the
part of
> >Dell, who have undoubtedly tested SP2 almost exclusively on the newest
computers
> >with the newest BIOS firmware.
>
> Not to mention that probably 99% of Dell's home PC customers have no
> idea what the heck a BIOS is, let alone how to update it. So all of
> those SP2 installations are gonna be without a new BIOS.

Yep, a new BIOS is needed for 865/875 chipset mobos using Prescott, Celeron
D and Extreme Edition CPUs for SP2. The very great majority of other user
will be just fine without a BIOS flash doing SP2.

If you learn how then flash the latest BIOS always anyway.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 5:16:09 AM

Steve <xfr@xvzvx.com> wrote in

> Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing
> SP2. But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very
> good reason. Is this really necessary, if everything appears to
> be working ok?

I don't know of any specific reason, but if you think it through:

Q1: For which version of the BIOS do you think Dell will actively
provide support (at best :-) ?
A1: The latest released version.

Q2: If a problem occurs about which they haven't a clue, and you
are not running the latest released BIOS version, what support
advice will you receive?
A2: Upgrade to the latest released BIOS version and try again.

Q3: If you report a problem with the XP SP2 upgrade, what is the
likely first response from Dell?
A3: See Q1, then Q2 and work it out for yourself.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 5:36:14 AM

"Frank le Spikkin" <zaq@invalid.jp> wrote in message
> Steve <xfr@xvzvx.com> wrote in
>
> > Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing
> > SP2. But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a very
> > good reason. Is this really necessary, if everything appears to
> > be working ok?
> >
> I don't know of any specific reason, but if you think it through:
>
> Q1: For which version of the BIOS do you think Dell will actively
> provide support (at best :-) ?
> A1: The latest released version.
>
> Q2: If a problem occurs about which they haven't a clue, and you
> are not running the latest released BIOS version, what support
> advice will you receive?
> A2: Upgrade to the latest released BIOS version and try again.
>
> Q3: If you report a problem with the XP SP2 upgrade, what is the
> likely first response from Dell?
> A3: See Q1, then Q2 and work it out for yourself.

It's been obvious to all but the clueless that the rule for the competent
for quite some time has been to always flash the latest BIOS carefully.

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 5:57:47 AM

> "Frank le Spikkin" <zaq@invalid.jp> wrote in message
>> Steve <xfr@xvzvx.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Dell recommends updating to the latest BIOS before installing
>> > SP2. But I sure hate to mess with the BIOS unless there's a
>> > very good reason. Is this really necessary, if everything
>> > appears to be working ok?
>> >
>> I don't know of any specific reason, but if you think it
>> through:
>>
>> Q1: For which version of the BIOS do you think Dell will
>> actively provide support (at best :-) ?
>> A1: The latest released version.
>>
>> Q2: If a problem occurs about which they haven't a clue, and
>> you are not running the latest released BIOS version, what
>> support advice will you receive?
>> A2: Upgrade to the latest released BIOS version and try again.
>>
>> Q3: If you report a problem with the XP SP2 upgrade, what is
>> the likely first response from Dell?
>> A3: See Q1, then Q2 and work it out for yourself.
>
> It's been obvious to all but the clueless that the rule for the
> competent for quite some time has been to always flash the
> latest BIOS carefully.

Whereas many prefer "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 7:24:03 AM

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in
>

> > "Frank le Spikkin" <zaq@invalid.jp> wrote in message
> >> Steve <xfr@xvzvx.com> wrote in

> >> I don't know of any specific reason, but if you think it
> >> through:
> >>
> >> Q1: For which version of the BIOS do you think Dell will
> >> actively provide support (at best :-) ?
> >> A1: The latest released version.
> >>
> >> Q2: If a problem occurs about which they haven't a clue, and
> >> you are not running the latest released BIOS version, what
> >> support advice will you receive?
> >> A2: Upgrade to the latest released BIOS version and try again.
> >>
> >> Q3: If you report a problem with the XP SP2 upgrade, what is
> >> the likely first response from Dell?
> >> A3: See Q1, then Q2 and work it out for yourself.
> >
> > It's been obvious to all but the clueless that the rule for the
> > competent for quite some time has been to always flash the
> > latest BIOS carefully.
>
> Whereas many prefer "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If there is a more recent BIOS then you can assume that it is broken or
eventually will be. PREEMPT!

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 7:46:56 AM

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 00:47:35 GMT, "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote:

<SNIP>

>Dell solders in the BIOS chip...hmm...look for another vendor as noboby else
>does that.

Nobody does that? I must confess that I have not seen all brands of
motherboards, but most of the ones I have seen DO have a soldered BIOS chip, I
repeat, for cost reasons. Yeah, they save maybe a dime on a socket, but the
nickels and dimes add up in a factory bill of materials.

What business do you have posting here if you didn't even know that Dell
motherboards have soldered BIOS chips?

>> Socketed flash BIOS chips, which are really easy to replace, fell into
>disfavor
>> in the early Pentium era, a victim of cost savings.
>
>Not with competent vendors.

Competent? It's not a quesiton of competence. It is simply a question of
costs. As long as consumers demand low-priced computers, manufacturers at all
levels of the food chain will look for the pennies, nickels, and dimes in
savings.

>> I have seen a few socketed
>> BIOS chips on modern motherboards, but they are few and far between.
>
>Utter nonsense. Checkout any Intel, Asus, Abit, Gigabyte.....etc. mobo and
>all are socketed BIOS!

INTEL sockets its BIOS chips???? Hell, no! When I'm not ripping apart name
brand computers, I'm building custom systems with INTEL motherboards with D845,
D865, and D875 chipsets. Not one of the Intel-brand boards has a socket for the
flash chip. All are soldered onto the board. Of the name-brands I've serviced
and upgraded (including Gateway, IBM, Compaq, HP, eMachines-UGH), only IBM
motherboards seem show up with socketed BIOS chips.

I agree with you. To best protect the buyer against catastrophic BIOS failures,
the BIOS chip oughta be socketed. But it does not happen too much any more.

>Did you just make your post up from neverland as the rest of the drivel is
>snipped?

I've got more years of experience in the computer industry than most people on
this planet have lived, going back to the large air-conditioned rooms with disk
drives the size of pizza ovens, paper tape, punched cards, and ferrite core
memory. I make up all this drivel out my head, from many years of practical
experience, in most recent years working with any and all brands of computers,
mostly with Intel CPUs, some Sun and other exotic beasts. How about you? What
are your credentials? Do you have much hands-on experience with Dells?
September 5, 2004 4:16:25 AM

Where do I find the current BIOS version? Tried Control Panel >
System, doesn't seem to be there. Thanks!
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 8:40:15 AM

Windows doesn't know nothing about no BIOS :)

Usually when you boot the machine, one of the fast scrolling messages (as
long as you are not in quiet mode) is the BIOS version.

Also, if you actually enter the BIOS, the version is usually listed on the
first page.

Tom
!