AMD Overheating??

G

Has anyone heard of an AMD overheating? I'm having the heatsink upgraded (read ~ a larger one) to deal with the super heat my AMD is putting out!

FatBurger

Illustrious
What do you mean exactly by "shutting down", and do you have a temperature readout of the CPU?

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
That sounds like a cooling problem. List the specs of you system including case and fans and stuff like that. Maybe mobo and cpu.

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!!

G

About 8 to 10 minutes after the computer is booted up, it self-initiates a warm-boot and then shuts off altogether. I don't have a temp. read out but the case itself feels disproportionately warmer than pcs normally do.

G

850 VEGA MoBo
128MB PC133
30.5 GB VDMAGG
Mid AZX Case

I'm not sure what the fan is - the heatsink/fan unit is pretty distinctive - it's the largest that I've ever seen.

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
What cpu?? Do you have a temperature from the cpu?? If not if you touch the heatsink when it is on how hot does it feel (ex. hot, cool, burning)?? Do the same with the hard drive. What do you mean the hard drive shuts off?? Does the drive actually spin-down?? What brand is the hard drive(western digital, maxtor, ibm)?? I've never heard of the MOBo you have, Did it come with some type of mobo monitoring software?? Wait, was this computer built by you or was it a company??

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!!

peach

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
<font color=blue>You can find out how hot the chip is in the bios (press Del at startup) with some mobos. This is actually a thermistor under the proc. To find out how hot the case, the actual proc temp, and a whole crapload of other stuff, use a 3rd party app like Motherboard Monitor 5. Availiable at <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">http://mbm.livewiredev.com/</A>. I have seen stock 1.2's run at 117ºF (47.2ºC)with coolermaster heatsinks.

FYI... <i>My 1.2(@1.53-11.5x133) runs a clean 82ºF (27.7ºC)with a winfop 32. Of course there is a virtual hurricane in the case due to the two 120mm Sunon's aimed at the mobo.</i>

Anyway, get MM5, very cool (and free!) App.

:cool: <i><font color=blue>on company time....</i>

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Uhm, just curious, you did properly install thermal paste and have proper airflow and ventilation in your case right? I am running an Athlon x2 5200+ at stock with stock cooling, it's idling between 28-29 degrees Celcius. Sometimes it runs cooler than that.

Also, what CPU are you running? My old Socket A Athlon XP 2800+ had temps in 60 degree celcius range almost all the time.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Just built a AMD AM2 6000+ today with a Zerotherm Premium in an old CoolerMaster case and it is running 4C over room temp...which is 2C hotter than the other system with a Thermalright.