Bones names

How are bones files named ? (on Linux)

I currently have the following bones files :
jym@xrousse:~/slashem$ ls bon*
bonD0.5.gz bonD0.7.gz bonD0.O.gz bonD0.T.gz bonM0.3.gz

I guess that D0.n are dungeon level n and M0.n is mines level n.
But that seems strange with D0.O and D0.T. Maybe special dungeon levels (O
would be Oracle and T ? Maybe the Mall ?)

So, how are bones files named ?

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

Jym wrote:

[snip]
> I guess that D0.n are dungeon level n and M0.n is mines level n.
> But that seems strange with D0.O and D0.T. Maybe special dungeon levels (O
> would be Oracle and T ? Maybe the Mall ?)

I'm not one to give details that I don't possess, but I believe your
basic guesses are correct:

D = dungeons of doom
M = mines
T = mine town
O = oracle

There are also designations for quest home and others that slip the mind...

Congressman

Congressman Thompson wrote:
> Jym wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I guess that D0.n are dungeon level n and M0.n is mines level n.
>> But that seems strange with D0.O and D0.T. Maybe special dungeon
>> levels (O
>> would be Oracle and T ? Maybe the Mall ?)
>

> I'm not one to give details that I don't possess, but I believe your
> basic guesses are correct:
>
> D = dungeons of doom
> M = mines
> T = mine town
> O = oracle
>
> There are also designations for quest home and others that slip the mind...
>
> Congressman

But I thought Minetown was in the Gnomish Mines, not the Dungeons of Doom...

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Zarel
|Moo. > \/
\____/

Minetown is
bonM0.T

Other mines is
bonM0.#

Quest is
bonQ[sam/wiz/bar/etc].#

Zarel <nospam@mailinator.com> wrote:

>But I thought Minetown was in the Gnomish Mines, not the Dungeons of Doom...

As the OP writes, he is playing Slash'Em, which has a town in the
Dungeons of Doom.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Dylan O'Donnell wrote:

> Jym <moyen@loria.fr> writes:
> > How are bones files named ? (on Linux)
> >
> > I currently have the following bones files :
> > jym@xrousse:~/slashem$ ls bon*
> > bonD0.5.gz bonD0.7.gz bonD0.O.gz bonD0.T.gz bonM0.3.gz
> >
> > I guess that D0.n are dungeon level n and M0.n is mines level n.
> > But that seems strange with D0.O and D0.T. Maybe special dungeon levels (O
> > would be Oracle and T ? Maybe the Mall ?)
> >
> > So, how are bones files named ?
>
> Judging from the directory name, you're playing SLASH'EM; you might
> want to tag your subject line to show that, since it does make a
> difference (SLASH'EM having many more special levels than vanilla).

I know, but the base question was relevant to both nethack and slash'em
(unless there was a huge change in bones files names in salsh'em) and
indeed the base answer (that you give just below) is not
slash'em-specific.

> The schema used on your platform is

Thanks.

> T Mall
(...)

Funny, this mean that for special levels that can occurs at different
depth you can only leave one bone of them and not one bone for each depth.

--

Jym <moyen@loria.fr> writes:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> > Judging from the directory name, you're playing SLASH'EM; you might
> > want to tag your subject line to show that, since it does make a
> > difference (SLASH'EM having many more special levels than vanilla).
>
> I know, but the base question was relevant to both nethack and slash'em
> (unless there was a huge change in bones files names in salsh'em) and
> indeed the base answer (that you give just below) is not
> slash'em-specific.

Right. But the individual letters are, and (as has already happened
elsethread) giving a SLASH'EM specific example without marking it as
such is only going to cause confusion.

> Funny, this mean that for special levels that can occurs at different
> depth you can only leave one bone of them and not one bone for each depth.

Yes. See bone-343.txt.

: "Hello. Well, that was the sound of Roger's Wah-Wah Rabbits, you heard :
: them eating endives there, that's very cheap at this time of the year. :
: [...] But now we're going to talk about shirts." -- Bonzo Dog Band :