a golden yani

Candy bars! They show up now and again. Why not make it so there's a small
chance that upon eating the candy bar that one gets a golden ticket which
tells you what level to find the portal to Croesus.

Keith Davies wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> > Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> >
> >> Candy bars! They show up now and again. Why not make it so there's a
> >> small chance that upon eating the candy bar that one gets a golden
> >> ticket which tells you what level to find the portal to Croesus.

> OTOH, it might make a good opening to another special branch.
>
> I don't know offhand what would be *in* the branch, but I'm sure someone
> could come up with something clever.

Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, of course.

dogscoff, killed by an Oompa Loompa

Haakon Studebaker wrote:

> Candy bars! They show up now and again. Why not make it so there's a
> small chance that upon eating the candy bar that one gets a golden
> ticket which tells you what level to find the portal to Croesus.

I believe that the level with the portal is only determined while the
dungeon level that has it is being drawn, not in advance.

Meaning: when you find a candy bar on dungeon level 5, the game does not
know yet whether there will be a portal, let alone on which dungeon
level it will appear.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>
>> Candy bars! They show up now and again. Why not make it so there's a
>> small chance that upon eating the candy bar that one gets a golden
>> ticket which tells you what level to find the portal to Croesus.
>
> I believe that the level with the portal is only determined while the
> dungeon level that has it is being drawn, not in advance.
>
> Meaning: when you find a candy bar on dungeon level 5, the game does not
> know yet whether there will be a portal, let alone on which dungeon
> level it will appear.

OTOH, it might make a good opening to another special branch.

I don't know offhand what would be *in* the branch, but I'm sure someone
could come up with something clever.

Keith

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Haakon Studebaker wrote:
>

>>Candy bars! They show up now and again. Why not make it so there's a
>>small chance that upon eating the candy bar that one gets a golden
>>ticket which tells you what level to find the portal to Croesus.
>

> I believe that the level with the portal is only determined while the
> dungeon level that has it is being drawn, not in advance.
>
> Meaning: when you find a candy bar on dungeon level 5, the game does not
> know yet whether there will be a portal, let alone on which dungeon
> level it will appear.

In wizmode, ^O will tell you the location of every branch, whether or
not it has been created.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Zarel
\____/

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Keith Davies wrote:

> Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> > Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> >
> >> Candy bars! They show up now and again. Why not make it so there's a
> >> small chance that upon eating the candy bar that one gets a golden
> >> ticket which tells you what level to find the portal to Croesus.
> >
> > I believe that the level with the portal is only determined while the
> > dungeon level that has it is being drawn, not in advance.
> >
> > Meaning: when you find a candy bar on dungeon level 5, the game does not
> > know yet whether there will be a portal, let alone on which dungeon
> > level it will appear.
>
> OTOH, it might make a good opening to another special branch.
>
> I don't know offhand what would be *in* the branch, but I'm sure someone
> could come up with something clever.

Well, a branch reachable via a golden ticket in a candy bar should
obviously be a chocolate factory...

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Zarel wrote:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> > Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> >

> >>Candy bars! They show up now and again. Why not make it so there's a
> >>small chance that upon eating the candy bar that one gets a golden
> >>ticket which tells you what level to find the portal to Croesus.
> >

> > I believe that the level with the portal is only determined while the
> > dungeon level that has it is being drawn, not in advance.
> >
> > Meaning: when you find a candy bar on dungeon level 5, the game does not
> > know yet whether there will be a portal, let alone on which dungeon
> > level it will appear.
> >

> In wizmode, ^O will tell you the location of every branch, whether or
> not it has been created.

And if not yet created, it is refered as a "floating branch" with no depth
attached to it.

--

Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Keith Davies wrote:
>
>> Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>> > I believe that the level with the portal is only determined while the
>> > dungeon level that has it is being drawn, not in advance.
>> >
>> > Meaning: when you find a candy bar on dungeon level 5, the game does not
>> > know yet whether there will be a portal, let alone on which dungeon
>> > level it will appear.
>>
>> OTOH, it might make a good opening to another special branch.
>>
>> I don't know offhand what would be *in* the branch, but I'm sure someone
>> could come up with something clever.
>
> Well, a branch reachable via a golden ticket in a candy bar should
> obviously be a chocolate factory...

Oh, I knew that. Apart from that, though, what's *there*?

More candy bars. Okay. What else?

Keith

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in news:dbfdke
$a5b$1@news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

> I believe that the level with the portal is only determined while the
> dungeon level that has it is being drawn, not in advance.

So when I do a certain command in wizmode to see the levels where one can
find certain things while my wizard character is on dungeon level one and
hasn't moved an inch that doesn't happen in regular games?

Keith Davies wrote:
> Oh, I knew that. Apart from that, though, what's *there*?
>
> More candy bars. Okay. What else?
>

> Keith

Well, that depends on how many new things, if any, you would want to
implement. The first room would take up the whole level, and it would be
the part with the big river of chocolate. It would have a bunch of
chocolate, of course. Maybe some potions of hallucination, so quaffing
one would make it look all crazy-like. There could be a bunch of
peaceful Oompa Loompas (new monster, or just gnomes). Also, a room with
a bunch of potions of levitation, just like in the book. Quaffing one in
this room, however, would kill you by levitating you into the fan
(probably not possible, but it's a funny thought). There could be a room
with a bunch of eggs (golden eggs?) and geese (a new monster or just
cockatrices or something, peaceful of course), and maybe a room filled
with woodchucks (since there are no squirrels in Nethack. The scene
where I got this from is only in the book, not the movie. Well, not the
old movie at least, the new one I haven't seen.) and a bunch of walnuts,
or just fruit. In the center of this room would be a pit. The
woodchucks/squirrels would be hostile if you got too close, like in the
book. Access to these rooms would be only by levitation over the river
of chocolate (could be just regular water) and going downstairs at the
end of it. If someone thinks of more rooms (I don't have the book right
now to flip through), there could be more levels to fit them all in. And
of course, some funny sounds. "You hear repetitive singing".

> where I got this from is only in the book, not the movie. Well, not the

Which book/movie do you mean?

Greetings,
Benjamin

--
The Nethack IdleRPG! Idle to your favorite Nethack messages!
http://pallas.crash-override.net/nethackidle/

Benjamin Schieder wrote:
>>where I got this from is only in the book, not the movie. Well, not the
>

> Which book/movie do you mean?
>

> Greetings,
> Benjamin

Why, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, of course.

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Keith Davies wrote:

> Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:

> >> OTOH, it might make a good opening to another special branch.
> >>
> >> I don't know offhand what would be *in* the branch, but I'm sure someone
> >> could come up with something clever.
> >
> > Well, a branch reachable via a golden ticket in a candy bar should
> > obviously be a chocolate factory...
>
> Oh, I knew that. Apart from that, though, what's *there*?
>
> More candy bars. Okay. What else?

Maybe a throne, some chest with cookbooks (spellbooks ?)
Well, that sounds a lot like all those one-level branches of slash'em : a
single special level with lots of "similar" monsters (orcs, dragons,
giants, spiders, ...) a few big ones some spoil and often a throne. Does
not add a lot to the game itself but usually makes a funny break in
dungeon exploration.

--

In article <slrnddns91.vrg.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
>Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:
>> Well, a branch reachable via a golden ticket in a candy bar should
>> obviously be a chocolate factory...
>Oh, I knew that. Apart from that, though, what's *there*?
>More candy bars. Okay. What else?

The pope?

Adam

adam@fsf.net (Adam Thornton) wrote:

> In article <slrnddns91.vrg.keith.davies@kjdavies.org>,
> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
> >Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:
> >> Well, a branch reachable via a golden ticket in a candy bar should
> >> obviously be a chocolate factory...
> >Oh, I knew that. Apart from that, though, what's *there*?
> >More candy bars. Okay. What else?
>
> The pope?

Space Moose.

Covered in chocolate.

You know it makes sense.

Richard

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in
> news:dbfdke $a5b$1@news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

>> I believe that the level with the portal is only determined while the
>> dungeon level that has it is being drawn, not in advance.

> So when I do a certain command in wizmode to see the levels where one
> can find certain things while my wizard character is on dungeon level
> one and hasn't moved an inch that doesn't happen in regular games?

Indeed. That doesn't happen in regular games. Moreover, it doesn't
happen in wizard mode games, either.

The command you mean is ^O (show locations of special levels), and
indeed, when your character is still on dungeon level 1, the "Portal to
Fort Ludios" is not shown. Try it out.

I just tried it out, and while I was still on level 1, Ludios was not
listed. I levelported (^V) to level 11 and still no Ludios. I
levelported to level 12, no Ludios when I pressed ^V. I then levelported
to level 13 and lo and behold: "Portal to Fort Ludios: 13". A simple ^F
(magic mapping) revealed that this level 13 did indeed contain a MMV
with a portal.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in news:dbhf7h
$9pf$1@news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

> Indeed. That doesn't happen in regular games. Moreover, it doesn't
> happen in wizard mode games, either.

> The command you mean is ^O (show locations of special levels), and
> indeed, when your character is still on dungeon level 1, the "Portal to
> Fort Ludios" is not shown. Try it out.

I didn't cite ^O because I didn't know if it would be considered spoily or
not. Of course it's easily found and doesn't affect a non-wiz game. My bad.

Now I must beg to differ with you. I just started up a wizmode game, hit ^O
and right there "Fort Ludios: knox: 19" Second page.

http://sarnath.heptapod.org/loffle.jpg

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> wrote in

> Candy bars! They show up now and again. Why not make it so there's a small
> chance that upon eating the candy bar that one gets a golden ticket which
> tells you what level to find the portal to Croesus.

sounds WAY too much like Willy Wonka. Have a hunch you only want to take
your kids to the old version BTW...

Haakon Studebaker wrote:

> Now I must beg to differ with you. I just started up a wizmode game,
> hit ^O and right there "Fort Ludios: knox: 19" Second page.

I know that this may happen. However, try levelporting to that level 19:
you will notice that there won't necessarily be a vault with a portal on
that page.

This level 19 is just an internal number, which has no meaning to the
player at all.

I just tried the same (again) in wizard mode, and got the following:

Fort Ludios: level 20
knox: 20

.... and levelported to level 20. There was *no* vault/portal on that
level, as ^F showed.

In effect, that dungeon *did* have a portal to Fort Ludios, only it
appeared on level 17. When I arrived there, I got an extra entry in the
first block of ^O:

Portal to Fort Ludios: 17

.... and the floating branch to Fort Ludios entry at the third and last
page disappeared. The Ludios/knox/20 entry above remained, though, even
if the portal was at 17.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> This level 19 is just an internal number, which has no meaning to the
> player at all.

With one exception: this number is used to determine the depth of the
level, and therefore to determine the level of randomly generated
monsers on that level.

It has nothing to do with where the portal will appear.

The portal may be on level 11, just above the oracle, while random
monster generation would be taking dungeon level 20 in account. This may
be another reason why this level may be so surprisingly difficult.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Haakon Studebaker wrote:

> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in news:dbhf7h
> $9pf$1@news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:
>
> > Indeed. That doesn't happen in regular games. Moreover, it doesn't
> > happen in wizard mode games, either.
>
> > The command you mean is ^O (show locations of special levels), and
> > indeed, when your character is still on dungeon level 1, the "Portal to
> > Fort Ludios" is not shown. Try it out.
>
> I didn't cite ^O because I didn't know if it would be considered spoily or
> not. Of course it's easily found and doesn't affect a non-wiz game. My bad.
>
> Now I must beg to differ with you. I just started up a wizmode game, hit ^O
> and right there "Fort Ludios: knox: 19" Second page.

Because, whatever the actual depth of the portal, Fort Ludios is
considered constant depth.

wizmode test.
^O
Fort Ludios: level 19
know: 19

Floating branches
Portal to Fort Ludios

^V 19
^F
No vault, no portal to Fort Ludios.
[Well, actually is was here at first try and I had to give a second try
but the "level 19" information of ^O was still here]

^O
Same thing as before.

levport/map to levels between 11 and 27.
[I did not thought I could find portal to quest in the bigroom...]
Found vault with portal on DL14. Step in. Ludios. Come back.
^O
Fort Ludios: level 19
knox: 19

and in the section "The dungeons of doom" (no more "Floating branches"):
Portal to Fort Ludios: 14

By the way, it would be nice if ^O in normal mode did the same thing as in
wizmode but only for already known levels/branches/... (of course amnesia
could delete these informations).

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

[The ludios portal]
> The portal may be on level 11, just above the oracle, while random

Eh.. the Oracle is never below level 11. (Well, actually I'm not sure
whether he (or she, I always forget) can level teleport to a level deeper
than that.)

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> [The ludios portal]
>> The portal may be on level 11, just above the oracle, while random

> Eh.. the Oracle is never below level 11. (Well, actually I'm not sure
> whether he (or she, I always forget) can level teleport to a level
> deeper than that.)

Sorry.

I meant, of course, just *below* the Oracle.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me