Mobo replacement

`Hello!
Several post recently asked about replacing the Dell mobo, but the
and not oo specific for some folks such as I.

I would love to know, specifically, which mobos would be good,
fairly inexpensive mobo replacements for the Dell Dimension 2400. A
brand and model would more than suffice.

I know, what a lazy guy I am, not willing to do the research myself.
But honestly, it's just to deep for me.

Mike

Pardon me for asking, but if doing the research is 'just too deep' for you,
do you think you have the skills to replace a motherboard?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> `Hello!
> Several post recently asked about replacing the Dell mobo, but the
> and not oo specific for some folks such as I.
>
> I would love to know, specifically, which mobos would be good,
> fairly inexpensive mobo replacements for the Dell Dimension 2400. A
> brand and model would more than suffice.
>
> I know, what a lazy guy I am, not willing to do the research myself.
> But honestly, it's just to deep for me.
>
> Mike

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Michael P Gabriel <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote:
> `Hello!
> Several post recently asked about replacing the Dell mobo, but the
> and not oo specific for some folks such as I.

> I would love to know, specifically, which mobos would be good,
> fairly inexpensive mobo replacements for the Dell Dimension 2400. A
> brand and model would more than suffice.

> I know, what a lazy guy I am, not willing to do the research myself.
> But honestly, it's just to deep for me.

> Mike

I didn't see your earlier post Mike. But I'll go ahead and throw my
ignorant two cents in on what issues you might face.

The "upgradability" of computers is grossly over exaggerated. The
typical motherboard upgrade will involve the motherboard itself,
the processor, and memory. Otherwise, what's the point? The
new motherboard will probably lend some new feature such as SATA,
RAID, a particular chipset, a particular socket type, etc that you
want. You'll probably want a "faster computer" too, which means a
new processor and better/more memory. And the new processor will
invariably require faster clocking memory to work correctly.

So the motherboard, CPU, and memory go hand in hand. Again, otherwise,
what's the point?

/aside
The few times when upgrading is cost-effective is buying less-than-
bleeding market and then upgrading later. Let's say I buy an ATI
9000 video card today in a new system. It costs me about $200 less
than a high end video card. If I wait a year or two, that same
high end card will be half the cost and I can "upgrade" to it.
/aside

So anyway, after buying the motherboard, CPU, and memory, you're
going to need to strip down the 2400. You'll need an empty case
to fit the new motherboard. You'll removed the old mobo, cpu,
memory, expansion cards, hard disk, optical drive, etc (not sure
exactly, but this sounds reasonable for a 2400). And then you're
going to have to install the new motherboard and reassemble in
the reverse order.

Now, finally, I get to make my point. The case only costs $50.00.
Buying a motherboard to fit a particular case makes little sense
to me. Why not buy a motherboard, buy a case, buy the memory to
match, processor, etc and reuse what you can... the dvd drive, the
hard disk, the floppy, etc.

Anyway, food for thought. Long post. I hope I interpreted your
question and plans correctly.

Take care,
Brian

The easiest and most obvious would be a Dimension 4600 MB. They can usually
be found on EBay. And they share the same exact case with the 2400 so the
motherboards are basically interchangeable on these systems.

Regards,
John O.

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> The easiest and most obvious would be a Dimension 4600 MB. They can
> usually be found on EBay. And they share the same exact case with the 2400
> so the motherboards are basically interchangeable on these systems.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

True except for the EMI - I/O shields on the back of the system. At
minimum, the audio jacks are different and I want to say possibly the
location of the USB ports - but definitely the audio ports.

Stew

Good! Let's make it simple and easy. The best motherboard for a Dell Dimension
2400 is a motherboard made for Dell to go inside a Dimension 2400. Any other
microATX motherboard requires you to make significant changes to the wiring
leading to the front of the computer. I cannot make it any simpler and clearer
than that.

An alternative would be a Dell Dimension 2350 or 2300 motherboard, but both of
those are slower, older and may require replacement of memory and/or CPU.

What else can I say? .... Ben Myers

On 2 Sep 2004 09:07:04 -0700, axipolti@yahoo.com (Michael P Gabriel) wrote:

>`Hello!
>Several post recently asked about replacing the Dell mobo, but the
>and not oo specific for some folks such as I.
>
>I would love to know, specifically, which mobos would be good,
>fairly inexpensive mobo replacements for the Dell Dimension 2400. A
>brand and model would more than suffice.
>
>I know, what a lazy guy I am, not willing to do the research myself.
>But honestly, it's just to deep for me.
>
>Mike

Interesting. Same connectors for on-off/LEDs, and front panel USB? Definitely
the same locking 3-pin connector, a Dell trademark, for the ventilating fan on
the back of the case... Ben Myers