Stormy or former weapon?

I'm playing a chaotic elf 14th level ranger named Lathanel. Earlier in
the dungeon, I fought a hostile Aleax who dropped a nice +3 blessed
rustproof longsword, which I have since enchanted to +5. However, I
found a level teleport trap and went to level 3 (via =oTC), and headed
for Mine Town. There, I converted the altar to Mars and prayed, and to
my surpise, he dropped Stormbringer at my feet.

Should I keep what I have, or use Stormbringer for now?

"Electronic Samurai" <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm playing a chaotic elf 14th level ranger named Lathanel. Earlier in
> the dungeon, I fought a hostile Aleax who dropped a nice +3 blessed
> rustproof longsword, which I have since enchanted to +5. However, I
> found a level teleport trap and went to level 3 (via =oTC), and headed
> for Mine Town. There, I converted the altar to Mars and prayed, and to
> my surpise, he dropped Stormbringer at my feet.
>
> Should I keep what I have, or use Stormbringer for now?

As many others have suggested, Stormy is a nifty weapon. As Rangers are
restricted in longsword without a gift (you haven't gotten a foobrand or
dragonslayer?) you'll do better in the long run with Stormbringer. I'd keep
the LS on swap for those times that you're hanging around peacefuls (the
quest start level or temples for example)

Happy hacking
Danny
Ascended all Roles
Best Conducts: Wish/Geno/poly/polyselfless,
Illiterate/atheist/geno/poly/polyselfless
Working on Extinctionist

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <1121717295.824638.166290@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Should I keep what I have, or use Stormbringer for now?

Stormy, heck yeah. Getting Stormy is a turning point in an elf's
career. It doesn't destroy items like a Brand would. The level drain
is amazingly powerful. It's so dangerous as to force you to be careful.
All good things. I like to switch to Frosty for hell, but Stormbringer
is a great weapon for the elf. I don't understand why nethack elves
have to be chaotic, but, since they are, a chaos weapon is awesome.

Electronic Samurai wrote:
> I'm playing a chaotic elf 14th level ranger named Lathanel. Earlier in
> the dungeon, I fought a hostile Aleax who dropped a nice +3 blessed
> rustproof longsword, which I have since enchanted to +5. However, I
> found a level teleport trap and went to level 3 (via =oTC), and headed
> for Mine Town. There, I converted the altar to Mars and prayed, and to
> my surpise, he dropped Stormbringer at my feet.
>
> Should I keep what I have, or use Stormbringer for now?

With few exceptions I'd prefer the artifacts, especially if they are as
powerful as Stormbringer is.

If not for that, I'd go for style; Stormbringer and the chaotic elf that
is pure Elric■ and nothing else. ;-)

(Have you already advanced your weapon proficiency with long swords? Go
practice the runesword now.)

Janis

■ The Elric saga by Michael Moorcock.

james wrote:

> I don't understand why nethack elves
> have to be chaotic, but, since they are, a chaos weapon is awesome.

"Have to be"? - If I am not mistaken elves can be of any alignment with
the following possible combinations (male and female)...

pri-elf-cha pri-elf-neu pri-elf-law
ran-elf-cha ran-elf-neu
wiz-elf-cha wiz-elf-neu

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> james wrote:
>
>> I don't understand why nethack elves
>> have to be chaotic, but, since they are, a chaos weapon is awesome.
>
> "Have to be"? - If I am not mistaken elves can be of any alignment with
> the following possible combinations (male and female)...
>
> pri-elf-cha pri-elf-neu pri-elf-law
> ran-elf-cha ran-elf-neu
> wiz-elf-cha wiz-elf-neu

Wizard mode seems to prove me wrong! - Sorry.

(Somehow a random character generator put me on the wrong way...)

Janis

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
<snip>
> I'd say keep the long sword; otherwise you'd have to advance
> broad sword, which is useless except for SB. However, I like
> SB for the riders, so don't throw it away. (You can also use
> it to get naked of AC 0 or even -10 at the Valley.)

Also, it depends on SB's enchantment level. If it's significantly
lower than +5 and don't have ways to bring up the enchantment level, I
say keep the higher enchanted weapon for now...

-K

"Electronic Samurai" <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> writes:

> I'm playing a chaotic elf 14th level ranger named Lathanel. Earlier in
> the dungeon, I fought a hostile Aleax who dropped a nice +3 blessed
> rustproof longsword, which I have since enchanted to +5. However, I
> found a level teleport trap and went to level 3 (via =oTC), and headed
> for Mine Town. There, I converted the altar to Mars and prayed, and to
> my surpise, he dropped Stormbringer at my feet.
>
> Should I keep what I have, or use Stormbringer for now?

I'd say keep the long sword; otherwise you'd have to advance
broad sword, which is useless except for SB. However, I like
SB for the riders, so don't throw it away. (You can also use
it to get naked of AC 0 or even -10 at the Valley.)

Best,
Jakob