Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Since getting my 1300 athlon I was in amazement at how fast it really was and thought "HAHAHA I payed less for this setup than a typical Intel setup". Well I just purchased a 1.5ghz p4 on an 850GB mobo with 256megs RDRAM and let me tell you, it outclasses my athlon at about everything it does. Just thought I would chime in and let you guys know that you really do get what you pay for.

Peace

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, so now the standard questions:

What motherboards did you have under each?
What RAM did you have with your Athlon?
What hard drives have you had on each?
What video card was on each?
What did you pay for each? ;)

And, the most important...what do you use your computer for mainly?

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why respond? This is a thread designed for a flame. It may even be a Fugger or Tonestar alias. Just ignore it.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

Come on Meltdown......

looks like you can't even make a fake post! LOL

----------
I am, you know I am. I am Canadian.

G

I think its a real post. all i need to know now is who sighted me?????

ROFLMAO

G

ROFLMAOSHITID!!!!!!!!!

----------

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm just trying to show him that we don't run and believe everything we hear, most people on here actually stop and think about the possibilities, especially when what someone says contradicts everything we've seen before.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
The p4 1.5ghz w/256megs was 400$ the Intel D850GB mobo was 185$ and the case was 135$. The Athlon 1.3ghz w/256megs(PC2100) was 390$ the Gigabyte 7DX was 215$ (Probably could have found cheaper, but didn't feel like looking [It was a spur of the moment purchase]) and the case was 85$. This was not meant as a flame war. This is my own testimony of how my Athlon 1300 is getting outclassed (sever in some cases) by my new p4. Both System contain Identical Specs:

SB Live!
Elsa GeForce2 GTS 32mb DDR
FastTrak100 RAID (0) w/2 WD 7200rpm 30gig\

One Example I can think of Is Unreal Tournament. With my Athlon in UT demo I score an average FPS the same as my p4. The thing is, in a game when 4 people are on screen at once my Athlon will drop to nerely 30 FPS from 70-100+ (depending upon scene) while the p4 drops but only about 3 frames per person (about half that of the Athlon). This is all in 1024x768x32bpp everything set to high. After Experiencing this I had to write in. I still like my athlon and will continue to support AMD with Athlon4, but for now I am back to Intel. When I bought my Athlon1.3 It was because of price/performance period. With the reduction of price of the P4's that line has blurred and I just wanted some readers to know my little story. If Processors were engines then the p4 & Athlon would be equal in Horsepower, but the diffrence in torque would be between a Viper and Mustang. Enough to understand why they are just slightly higher in price. (Not The Cars, The Processors)

Ps If I were to have bought the same p4 system I have now when I bought my Athlon 1.3 (about a month after its release). I would have had to pay a little under double of what I payed now for it(p4) now.

Pss. The Athlon ram appears to have two stamps on them VIA & Gigabyte, I would assume those are approval stamps but beyond that I am unsure who actually manufactured it. The RDRAM was unmarked...so only god knows...
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Blessedman on 06/29/01 02:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

That seems to make sense.

-----
If you look hard enough, you might see it...
Well, I did say you <b>might</b> see it...

FatBurger

Illustrious
With the reduction of price of the P4's that line has blurred
The reduction in price wasn't as good as it seemed it was going to be.
The highest P4 is $324, and the highest Athlon is $163. The P4 1.7 comes with 128 or 256 meg of RDRAM, so if you bought 256 meg of DDR, it would come to $52 more, or $215.
$324 compared to $215 is a decent difference. And that's before the motherboard, which might make more of a difference.

Prices taken from <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">PriceWatch</A> and <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com" target="_new">Crucial</A>. Void where prohibited, sales tax may apply to residents of certain states. Please contact your local vendor for details.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I pay a little more for not having to worry about shipping (which pushes those prices a little higher) or having to worry about something not working when i get it. Still your taking about 200$ diffrence from what I paid at retail for my 1.5ghz so I must say this, If you have the money go with the p4 its worth it. If you don't have the cash go for the 1.4 athlon. Both are equally worth their asking price.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I pay a little more for not having to worry about shipping
Ok, but that does nothing as far as Intel vs. AMD.
or having to worry about something not working when i get it
I have NEVER seen statistics saying Intel is more reliable as far as being DOA. Compatability I can understand. But not DOA issues.
Both are equally worth their asking price.
Very true, as long as you don't buy new stuff all the time. P4 most likely will be a lot faster, but at the moment, it isn't. SSE2 hasn't really taken effect yet. And we still don't know how Athlon 4 is going to perform.

G

>>If you have the money go with the p4 its worth it.

:)
I personally do not have that much money as I want to have 2-3 GB of RAM to play with, and for a time being P4 stuck with RDRAM, which is prohibitively more expensive than DDR.

Yep, with DDR you can forget these RDRAM's termination-in-the-last-slot and pairing-rules....

The situation might change when P4 + DDR will be a reality, and widely available to public.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I still don't think P4 is QUITE worth it (because of software optimizations), but it's very, very close.
And I agree, DDR will be much better than RDRAM. It'll be interesting to see benchmarks of identical systems with DDR and RDRAM. Until now there's been no real way of comparing the two in a real-world test.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what's the matter, hate to hear the truth? somebody is actually relating true experiences and all you can do is go into accusation mode, you're a patheic piece of turd :-0.

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
Meltdown, you bash AMD as much as anyone bashes Intel.
But you're right, nobody should be saying that's you in disguise.
Unless it is, which is very possible.

G

No, I hate to see a$$holes like you make two names to try and bash something.

----------

G

"One Example I can think of Is Unreal Tournament. With my Athlon in UT demo I score an average FPS the same as my p4. The thing is, in a game when 4 people are on screen at once my Athlon will drop to nerely 30 FPS from 70-100+ (depending upon scene) while the p4 drops but only about 3 frames per person (about half that of the Athlon)."

You're going to have to try harder than that... My TBIRD 900 "B" ran UT at 120FPS, with at least 7 ppl on screen. (GeForce2GTS 32MB as well).

----------

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>I hate to see a$$holes like you make two names to try and bash something.

wipe that sh!t off your face so you can see better! I just need one name and that name is AmdMeltdown!

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Ummmm Bullsh!t, unless your sitting in a corner with 7 people behind you. There is no way, it does have alot to do with the scene your in. I was running mcswartzly][ and inside the flag room, 2 people in room I was running about 120 FPS, the other team attacked and the room filled with 6 peeps all firing at once and I dropped to 56 FPS. A simulated situtation on my athlon put the FPS around 40. I am not going into quoting other peeps cause i got better things to do, but I never said shipping had anything to do with either Intel or AMD I was stating what I prefer, nothing else. I am sure at the moment DDR is not a better perform than RDRAM, for the future NO ONE KNOWS and I don't pretend too. The whole Idea behind this post was to show that in my expeirence the P4 1.5ghz puts my 1.3ghz Athlon to shame. I am sure that if AMD could produce a 1.5ghz processor (which I am sure is right around the corner) it would probably go toe to toe with the P4, but as it stands in my book the p4 is a superior chip to the athlon. End Of Statments.

G

yup, like i always said the P4 is better then the athlon. Well to bad DDR-SDRAM can't beat RDRAM.

! Member of the Intel Triple Threat w/ Fugger and AMDmeltdown !

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Ok, no bashing here, but you'll have to forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical about all this. It defies all bechmarking results I've seen. I don't have or play UT, so I'm not able to test this myself, nor am I familiar with "mcswartzly][".

A few questions. Were both tests on a simulated demo, i.e. precalculated player movements et al? Was the game running completely on the local machine (no network traffic etc)?

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Same here... (i am agreeing with mastercat). I was running unreal on a TB900 @ 1GHz at about 120FPS with at least 6 ppl on the screen.

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed

TRENDING THREADS