YANI: #Push

YANI: Push

A new extended command, #push. Allows you to (attempt to) shove
monsters about.

You push the black pudding --more--
A trap door opens beneath the black pudding!

You push the goblin --more--
the goblin triggers a rolling boulder trap --more--

You push the white dragon as hard as you can --more--
the white dragon is too heavy. It doesn't budge --more--
the white dragon bites --more--
you die...

You push the floating eye --more--
you are frozen by the floating eye's gaze

You push the cockatrice --more--
You feel yourself slowing down --more--

-Pushing on its own does no damage.
-Pushing a sleeping monster (or trying to) wakes it up. However
paralysed monsters can be shoved about as much as you like.
-Pushing counts as an attack for reflexive attacks (acid blobs etc)
-Pushing a monster while levitating is just like trying to push a
boulder while levitating.
-Depending on the monster's weight, pushing might increase hunger like
boulder-shoving.
-You can use #push on mosters as well, for objects that are too heavy
to kick, but that you don't want to pick up (loadstones spring to mind)
-Monsters get a chance to avoid the push. If this succeeds, you and the
monster swap places, and you are helpless for a turn.
-Levitating monsters are easier to push than ones on the ground.
-You can't push away a monster that's holding you (owlbear, big mimic
etc)
-Pushing peacefuls should have a 50% chance of making the peaceful
angry. 100% if the push results in the peaceful getting hurt.
-Shopkeepers and priests always get angry if you try to shove them out
of their rooms.
-Pushing tame monsters (for example, hurriedly shoving Tiddles out of
the lighting store after he's picked up a magic lamp) should reduce
tameness.
-If there is a wall or other immovable object behind the monster,
pushing it should have no effect (except a wasted turn).
-Xorns are exempt from the rule above (you can shove them through
walls)
-If there is a movable object behind the monster (ie another monster, a
boulder) then the player tries to push both of them: The two weights
are combined, and compared to the player's strength.
-Pushing a monster into an unlocked door should have a chance of
pushing the door open and the monster into the space.
-Pushing monsters onto a down staircase should give a small chance of
the monster falling down the stairs and taking damage.
-In squabble-patched games (Slashem has very limited squabbling, for
example) then pushing monsters into one another could result in fights.

In article <1121770382.189932.309670@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> YANI: Push
>
> -If there is a wall or other immovable object behind the monster,
> pushing it should have no effect (except a wasted turn).
> -Xorns are exempt from the rule above (you can shove them through
> walls)

I submit that the xorn (and presumably other earth elemental) exemption
is unnecessary. If a xorn could pass through solid stone simply by
encountering it, it would tend to fall into the floor.

Goal 2005: Convincing James Hetfield to cover the Strawberry Shortcake
"Are You Berry Berry Happy?" song.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com writes:

> YANI: Push
>
> A new extended command, #push. Allows you to (attempt to) shove
> monsters about.
>
> You push the black pudding --more--

Your gauntlets corrode! --more--

> A trap door opens beneath the black pudding!

> You push the goblin --more--

The Goblin hits! --more--

> the goblin triggers a rolling boulder trap --more--

> You push the floating eye --more--

The floating eye bounces against the walls! --more--

> you are frozen by the floating eye's gaze

Nice idea.

Best,
Jakob

#push'ing against a wall while levitating causes you to move in the
opposite direction.

Nick

--
#include<stdio.h> /* sigmask (sig.c) 20041028 PUBLIC DOMAIN */
int main(c,v)char *v;{return !c?putchar(* /* cc -o sig sig.c */

Joshua Kwan wrote:

> Ross Presser wrote:
>> #push'ing against a locked door, if your intelligence is low, produces
>> #the
>> message "Welcome to the Midvale School for the Gifted."
>
> Wow. I'm surprised I remembered this one. Definitely an old memory...
>
> Wait, was it Far Side or Non Sequitur? I forget now.

Far Side, long before Non Sequitur appeared.

I especially love how not only is the boy pulling on the door labeled
"push", he has his feet braced against the door :)

--
Benjamin Lewis

All what we got here is American made.
It's a little bit cheesy, but it's nicely displayed. -- FZ

Ross Presser wrote:
> On 19 Jul 2005 14:08:09 -0400, Nick Vargish wrote:
>
> > #push'ing against a wall while levitating causes you to move in the
> > opposite direction.
> >
> > Nick
>
> #push'ing against a locked door, if your intelligence is low, produces the
> message "Welcome to the Midvale School for the Gifted."

hehe. I remember that one - brilliant. Nethack badly needs some Larson