YANI: Magic brush

I remember reading a children's story about a Chinese painter who owned
a magic brush. With it he could paint anything and it would become
real. I think some evil king or emperor tried to capture him and
harness his power, at which point he painted a boat and sailed away (or
some such thing.)

Anyway, this would make a neat YANI.

Magic Brush: Tool. Comes with up to five charges; can only be recharged
once, like a magic marker.

When applied, draws a picture on some available surface (i.e. dungeon
wall, scroll, etc.) (If you are levitating and have no scroll of blank
paper, sorry, you're out of luck - though I guess maybe you could draw
on the ceiling. :))

The thing or monster you draw will then become real, IF the following
conditions are met:

- the player must have seen the thing at least once before (you can't
draw something you've never seen.) However, the object need not be
identified (i.e. "a gold ring" is good enough.)

- if a monster, it must have non-humanoid intelligence (there are
limits to how smart magic-made creatures can be!) It must also be
(reverse) genocidable (e.g. no Titans) and non-unique.

- no artifact or unique objects (i.e. if you left Excalibur back on
Level 50, you can't just easily get it back this way)

- you can also create some dungeon features, e.g. pool, (non-magic)
fountain, etc. (No opulent thrones or magic fountains as this would
introduce the potential for endless wishes.)

- your luck must be non-negative.

- you must pass a dexterity check; if you fail, "You smudge the
picture!" and waste a charge.

- even if you pass the dexterity check, there is a significant change
you might mess up your picture and produce something similar (within
the same class of objects or monsters) but not quite right. (E.g. you
try to draw a food ration and end up with a cockatrice corpse. ;-))

- as for enchantments on weapons/armour, charges on rings/wands, etc.,
there is a luck-dependent chance you end up with what you asked for.

- a blessed brush will give you a higher chance of succeeding, and will
more often generate blessed objects;

- and, finally, a cursed brush will always produce cursed objects, will
increase your chance of smudging the picture, and will GREATLY increase
the chance that you produce a different object/monster of the same
class.

So, what do you think?

Artemis the Ranger

I think that sounds pretty cool except that it would be very powerful.
Also would you have to type in what you wanted to draw? I think with
more restrictions it could be a very good uber-rare item. You have some
Iteresting ideas for it thats for sure!

I am really not sure how practical it would be to implement this
though. Does someone else here who does more source diving then me
know?

-Thomas
RL: CHAZM

wcristalle@hotmail.com wrote:
> I remember reading a children's story about a Chinese painter who owned
> a magic brush. With it he could paint anything and it would become
> real. I think some evil king or emperor tried to capture him and
> harness his power, at which point he painted a boat and sailed away (or
> some such thing.)
>
> Anyway, this would make a neat YANI.
>
> Magic Brush: Tool. Comes with up to five charges; can only be recharged
> once, like a magic marker.
>
> When applied, draws a picture on some available surface (i.e. dungeon
> wall, scroll, etc.) (If you are levitating and have no scroll of blank
> paper, sorry, you're out of luck - though I guess maybe you could draw
> on the ceiling. :))
>
> The thing or monster you draw will then become real, IF the following
> conditions are met:
<snip>

Neat idea, but it should probably further restricted...

I think we should also include extra restriction, somewhat like wishing
restriction. No wand of wishing or magic lamp.

I think one charge only, and one recharge only might be appropriate as
well. It does sound very powerful. Even with the restriction of 'Must
have seen it before'. As the way you described, this basically gives
you a huge number of magic markers as long as you've seen one before.
Magic markers are something you'd use a wish (after you've completed
your ascention kit) so something that gives you multiple magic markers
should be severely restricted...

Even if you include a 'no-reverse geno-able' monsters restriction, you
can still draw 'figurine' of, as long as you've seen one before.

Something to be very careful with the implementation...

I like the concept though :D

-K

Yani = yet another neat idea... or what?

-Thomas
RL: CHAZM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> comments@foresightsagas.com wrote:
>
>> Yani = yet another neat idea... or what?
>
> Could be that, could also be new or nifty.

Or Nevergonnagetimplemented :)

--
Benjamin Lewis

All what we got here is American made.
It's a little bit cheesy, but it's nicely displayed. -- FZ

Kremti wrote:
> wcristalle@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>I remember reading a children's story about a Chinese painter who owned
>>a magic brush. With it he could paint anything and it would become
>>real. I think some evil king or emperor tried to capture him and
>>harness his power, at which point he painted a boat and sailed away (or
>>some such thing.)
>>
>>Anyway, this would make a neat YANI.
>>
>>Magic Brush: Tool. Comes with up to five charges; can only be recharged
>>once, like a magic marker.
>>
>>When applied, draws a picture on some available surface (i.e. dungeon
>>wall, scroll, etc.) (If you are levitating and have no scroll of blank
>>paper, sorry, you're out of luck - though I guess maybe you could draw
>>on the ceiling. :))
>>
>>The thing or monster you draw will then become real, IF the following
>>conditions are met:
>
> <snip>
>
> Neat idea, but it should probably further restricted...
>
> I think we should also include extra restriction, somewhat like wishing
> restriction. No wand of wishing or magic lamp.
>
> I think one charge only, and one recharge only might be appropriate as
> well. It does sound very powerful. Even with the restriction of 'Must
> have seen it before'. As the way you described, this basically gives
> you a huge number of magic markers as long as you've seen one before.
> Magic markers are something you'd use a wish (after you've completed
> your ascention kit) so something that gives you multiple magic markers
> should be severely restricted...
>
> Even if you include a 'no-reverse geno-able' monsters restriction, you
> can still draw 'figurine' of, as long as you've seen one before.
>
> Something to be very careful with the implementation...
>
> I like the concept though :D
>
> -K

You know, I don't find this much more game-unbalancing than a wand of
wishing... In fact, a bit less, with all the restrictions.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Zarel
\____/

comments@foresightsagas.com wrote:

> Yani = yet another neat idea... or what?

Could be that, could also be new or nifty.

Twice per month, the FAQ is posted here and on
rec.games.roguelike.announce. This abbrevation
and others that are common here are explaind
there.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

wcristalle@hotmail.com wrote:

> I remember reading a children's story about a Chinese painter who owned
> a magic brush. With it he could paint anything and it would become
> real. I think some evil king or emperor tried to capture him and
> harness his power, at which point he painted a boat and sailed away (or
> some such thing.)

The same tale appears in pan-Germanic lore. I've read it
in translation from both Norse and Old German. It is the
tale of Why the Sea is Salt.

One day king Frodhi Peacegood was given a mill that could
churn out whatever the owner asked. He asked for a
sword and out came a sword. He asked for bread and out
came bread. (In some versions - Little did he know that
was actually the world mill used to control day and night).
So he asked for gold and gold came out. The king was
delighted. He harnessed three slave giants to the mill
and made them grind day and night. He took the mill with
him on every trip. During one trip across the sea, he
asked for salt for his dinner. The three giants spun
faster and faster and faster. They formed a Maelstrom
that consumed the ship and to this day they make salt.

It's a metaphor for government becoming oppresive and
the people starting a revolution. There are many such
tales in world folklore.

Zarel wrote:
<snip>
> You know, I don't find this much more game-unbalancing than a wand of
> wishing... In fact, a bit less, with all the restrictions.

Um, I don't think we should have an item that's almost as
game-unbalancing as a wand of wishing...

-K

On that special day, , (wcristalle@hotmail.com) said...

> I remember reading a children's story about a Chinese painter who owned
> a magic brush. With it he could paint anything and it would become
> real. I think some evil king or emperor tried to capture him and
> harness his power, at which point he painted a boat and sailed away (or
> some such thing.)

Even in the Thieve's World series, this motif comes up again. The
painter's name is Lalo.

http://www.geocities.com/jillari1/people/people_l.htm

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de