YAAD

Pieter, my 15th level barbarian, just bit the dust.

Despite his level, he was still wishless, genocideless, and practically
polypileless (the only polypile being the testing for the potion of
polymorph).

What he also was, was being without magic resistance, without reflection
(no less than 5 bags of holding), and without blindfold or towel...

So, I didn't want to take on either the Chromatic dragon (black breath)
or Medusa (no reliable way to blind myself; I won't rely on my two
cameras).

This left Ludios, which of course housed the proverbial military man
with the wand of death...

540128 points after about 70000 moves.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

seraphim

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in

> Pieter, my 15th level barbarian, just bit the dust.
>
> Despite his level, he was still wishless, genocideless, and
> practically polypileless (the only polypile being the testing for
> the potion of polymorph).
>
> What he also was, was being without magic resistance, without
> reflection (no less than 5 bags of holding), and without blindfold
> or towel...
>
> So, I didn't want to take on either the Chromatic dragon (black
> breath) or Medusa (no reliable way to blind myself; I won't rely on
> my two cameras).

Chromatic Dragon? The barbarian quest nemesis is Thoth Amon. Were you
playing a caveman?

Seraphim wrote:

> Chromatic Dragon? The barbarian quest nemesis is Thoth Amon. Were you
> playing a caveman?

My bad. Perhaps Thoth Amon would have been an option after all...
I *was* playing a barbarian.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Gherkin

Distinguished
May 6, 2003

"This left Ludios, which of course housed the proverbial military man
with the wand of death... "

What do military men with wands of death and proverbs have in common?

Gherkin wrote:

> "This left Ludios, which of course housed the proverbial military man
> with the wand of death... "

Don't snip attributions, please.

> What do military men with wands of death and proverbs have in common?

It is said that in Fort Ludios, there's always a soldier or officer with
a wand of death (untrue, by the way, that's why it's proverbial).

Elsewhere in the dungeon, it's the proverbial gnome.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:25:02 -0500
"Shellman" <tboneman@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Richard Bos" <rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote in message

>>> My bad.
>>
>> No, no, no: _you're_ bad - _your_ mistake. Or your error, or whatever
>> noun you prefer. "Bad" never has been, still is not, and let us pray to
>> great Azatoth never will be a noun.
>>
>> Richard
>
>Hear Hear!
>
>-Shellman

Here Here!

-Bob

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

> Seraphim wrote:
>
> > Chromatic Dragon? The barbarian quest nemesis is Thoth Amon. Were you
> > playing a caveman?
>
> My bad.

No, no, no: _you're_ bad - _your_ mistake. Or your error, or whatever
noun you prefer. "Bad" never has been, still is not, and let us pray to
great Azatoth never will be a noun.

Richard

"Richard Bos" <rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl> wrote in message
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>
>> Seraphim wrote:
>>
>> > Chromatic Dragon? The barbarian quest nemesis is Thoth Amon. Were you
>> > playing a caveman?
>>
>> My bad.
>
> No, no, no: _you're_ bad - _your_ mistake. Or your error, or whatever
> noun you prefer. "Bad" never has been, still is not, and let us pray to
> great Azatoth never will be a noun.
>
> Richard

Hear Hear!

-Shellman

seraphim

rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) wrote in

> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>
>> Seraphim wrote:
>>
>> > Chromatic Dragon? The barbarian quest nemesis is Thoth Amon. Were
>> > you playing a caveman?
>>
>> My bad.
>
> No, no, no: _you're_ bad - _your_ mistake. Or your error, or
> whatever noun you prefer. "Bad" never has been, still is not, and
> let us pray to great Azatoth never will be a noun.

"Bad" can be a noun, and it has been that way for a long time (IIRC 500+
years)
For example in the statement "weighing the good against the bad" bad is
being used as a noun.

Again from MW:
Main Entry: 2bad
Function: noun
1 : something that is bad
2 : an evil or unhappy state

Seraphim wrote:

> Again from MW:

MW?

> Main Entry: 2bad
> Function: noun

That's too bad.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Seraphim wrote:
>
>>Again from MW:
>
> MW?

Merriam-Webster I presume.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Seraphim <gme6@cornell.edu> wrote:

> rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) wrote in
>
> > No, no, no: _you're_ bad - _your_ mistake. Or your error, or
> > whatever noun you prefer. "Bad" never has been, still is not, and
> > let us pray to great Azatoth never will be a noun.
>
> "Bad" can be a noun, and it has been that way for a long time (IIRC 500+
> years)
> For example in the statement "weighing the good against the bad" bad is
> being used as a noun.
>
> Again from MW:
> Main Entry: 2bad
> Function: noun
> 1 : something that is bad
> 2 : an evil or unhappy state

In that case, "ugly" is a noun, too. And so are "white", "black",
"lime-green"; "tiny" and "humungous"; "clean" and "flea-infested".
Accepting "bad" as a noun in this construct leads to the entire class of
adjectives also being nouns, which is silly. It's more accurate to say
that adjectives can, in English (and many other languages) be _used_ as
nouns, under certain circumstances. But that doesn't _make_ them nouns,
no more than that my spanner is a hammer.

Richard