Sign in with
Your question

Headset/Fraps/Skype ECHOS!

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 4, 2013 12:03:32 AM

I've been having this problem for about 2 months now. It started happening around 1st November 2012 for no reason. Basically I make gameplay commentary videos on Youtube. And me and my friend talk on Skype, basically when I'm recording/playing with fraps (Game and audio recording software) there is no problems at all but when I watch the footage back my friends voice echos. He will say something and then almost instantly after he will repeat it in a different tone. Very weird right? He also complains that sometimes he can hear my music and in-game audio over Skype.

I use a Razer Carcharias Headset. Never had problems with it in the past.

These are ALL of the things I've tried over the past 2 months.

Re-install fraps.
Re-install skype.
Tried different recording software.
Try Teamspeak & Mumble.
Try multiple different games.
Talk to different friends.
Change and fiddle with possibly every audio setting in Windows.
Bought a brand new sound card. (Turned off on-board sound in BIOS)
Re-install drivers.
Uninstall NVIDIA HD Audio software (Unused)
Fix registry errors.
Scan for viruses regulary.
Tried plugging my headset directly into the back of my soundcard (Instead of into speakers)
Uninstall most of my software.
Close all running processes.
Tried straightening the cable incase there is a break.

I have no Razer software installed on my computer.

I was still baffled for why this fault has randomly started happening so I turned my mic OFF and recorded some gameplay WITH my friend talking to himself.. I then reviewed the footage and noticed that his voice doesn't echo if my mic is off. I then turned my mic back on but lowered my mic volume so you can barley hear me and you can still not hear the echo BUT I really cannot use ultra low volume obviously. So I thought. Hmm it seems my mic may have gone faulty and I realised that I have dropped it a couple of times and once dropped a tiny bit of water on it. Soooooo... I grab my friends headset (Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset) And so we go on Skype again and test it... Hoooraaaaay no echo!! My headset has gone faulty, I'll order a new one.. Actually just before I order a replacement I'll test the Razer headset with my laptop to guarentee it is faulty. We get on Skype on my laptop thinking it has to be the mic as the Creative headset doesn't echo. So we were expecting the echo to happen on the laptop and.. No echo, absolutley fine, no problem with the mic. It just seems to happen on my computer only? But the Creative Fatal1ty one doesn't echo? Very very odd fault. I don't know what to do now. I'm starting to think something has gone wrong with Windows and I'm going to have to re-formatt my PC BUT how can a problem in Windows effect ONLY my Razer headset around the 1st of November for no apparent reason?

I don't wanna buy a USB Headset or USB Microphone, I love this headset and the mic quality is great. I also don't like using Push to talk with Fraps as sometimes we will talk at the same time anyway and the echo will be there. I don't really want to use Audacity to record my mic as you can't make it work to press a hotkey in-game for audacity to record at the same time as fraps. Syncing everything up correctly can be annoying, expecially when recording for a huge ammount of time with multiple different clips to sync.

I just want it flawless like it used to be, no echo and fraps to be continuously recording my mic without me having to press anything. and I want to get full use out of my new soundcard.

If anyone has any idea at all or anything to say I'd appreciate it a lot. This is driving me nuts! xD

Thanks
January 4, 2013 5:24:42 PM

Can you try a system restore back to before Nov.1 ?
January 5, 2013 3:45:20 PM

inzone said:
Can you try a system restore back to before Nov.1 ?

Unfortunately don't have one that goes that far back.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 5, 2013 9:53:07 PM

An echo can be caused by cross talk and that's why telephone wires and ethernet cables are twisted when they are put in the casing as it prevents crosstalk and echoing.
I'm not quite sure why you had no echo previously but now you do.
Have you always used Skype , before when there was no echo ad now when there is ?
Has there been any change to the Skype software program ?
January 5, 2013 11:17:49 PM

inzone said:
An echo can be caused by cross talk and that's why telephone wires and ethernet cables are twisted when they are put in the casing as it prevents crosstalk and echoing.
I'm not quite sure why you had no echo previously but now you do.
Have you always used Skype , before when there was no echo ad now when there is ?
Has there been any change to the Skype software program ?

We always have used Skype, Then we tried TS and Mumble and same echo on those programmes too. Updated Skype also and made no difference. And no change to Skype before the echo. Makes no sense how the echo only has started occuring on this PC but on my laptop the echo doesn't exist. But my friends headset doesn't echo on my PC. Very odd.
January 6, 2013 5:39:24 AM

Have you looked in the sound settings in control panel to see if maybe reverb is somehow on ?
January 6, 2013 6:54:50 PM

inzone said:
Have you looked in the sound settings in control panel to see if maybe reverb is somehow on ?

Yep :p 
March 22, 2013 4:21:28 AM

Hello!, i had the same issue!, and i fixed it!

You got ur mic connected at the front?, right ?
Put it on the back on the computer FIXED! :D 

NP!
!