nethack in negative

I play nethack (well, slashem actually, but I think this question and
answer would apply equally to vanilla) in ascii mode on windows. By
default, i get a black DOS window with the dungeon drawn in white.

Would it be possible to make changes to the defaults.nh file so that I
could play a black dungeon on a white background? What lines would I
have to add/alter? Obviously white objects and monsters (my @ for
instance) would have to be inversed as well.

Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> > Would it be possible to make changes to the defaults.nh file so that I
> > could play a black dungeon on a white background?

> Can't you just change the colors of the DOS window itself?

I don't know, can I?

Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com schrieb:
> > Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
> >> Can't you just change the colors of the DOS window itself?
> > I don't know, can I?
>
> Yes, yes you can.

But by doing so, wouldn't I screw up all other colours that nethack
uses? Surely it would be better to ask nethack to make the change
rather than the window it's running in.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com schrieb:
> Sebastian Hungerecker wrote:
>> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>>> Would it be possible to make changes to the defaults.nh file so
>>> that I could play a black dungeon on a white background?
>> Can't you just change the colors of the DOS window itself?
> I don't know, can I?

Yes, yes you can.

--
Jim Strathmeyer

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> I play nethack (well, slashem actually, but I think this question and
> answer would apply equally to vanilla) in ascii mode on windows. By
> default, i get a black DOS window with the dungeon drawn in white.
>
> Would it be possible to make changes to the defaults.nh file so that I
> could play a black dungeon on a white background?

Can't you just change the colors of the DOS window itself?

--
If geiger counter does not click,
the coffee, she is just not thick

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote in

> I play nethack (well, slashem actually, but I think this question and
> answer would apply equally to vanilla) in ascii mode on windows. By
> default, i get a black DOS window with the dungeon drawn in white.
>
> Would it be possible to make changes to the defaults.nh file so that I
> could play a black dungeon on a white background? What lines would I
> have to add/alter? Obviously white objects and monsters (my @ for
> instance) would have to be inversed as well.

I ASSUME you REALLY want inverse colours check the O command. Other than that
read the guidebook as it has all the options in it. You might want to be a
bit less confrontational if you want help as well...

chuck wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote in
> > could play a black dungeon on a white background?

> I ASSUME you REALLY want inverse colours check the O command.
I'll have a look.

> Other than that read the guidebook as it has all the options in it.

I've never gotten on very well with the guidebook when it comes to
editting the options file. I always read it, try something, and find
that it doesn't do what I expected it to do.

> You might want to be a bit less confrontational if you want help as well...

Confrontational? I hope I don't come across that way. I was aiming for
"playful banter".

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:35:08 +1200
"BWIGLEY" <bwigley@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>It's been argreed the whole world stinks,
>So no one's taking showers anymore - Modest mouse, Paper Thin Walls

Shouldn't you put your signature on the BOTTOM of the message?

<dogscoff@eudoramail.com> wrote in message

> Jim Strathmeyer wrote:
> > dogscoff@eudoramail.com schrieb:
> > > I don't know, can I?
> >
> > Yes, yes you can.
>
> But by doing so, wouldn't I screw up all other colours that nethack
> uses? Surely it would be better to ask nethack to make the change
> rather than the window it's running in.

No, probably not, try it
right-click the top-window-pane-thingy, click properties, click the
colo(u)rs tab, select "Screen Text", click the black box, select "Screen
Background", click the white box. click OK, and try it out, It can be
changed back pretty easily

"noah bedford" <noahbedford@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:35:08 +1200
> "BWIGLEY" <bwigley@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
> >It's been argreed the whole world stinks,
> >So no one's taking showers anymore - Modest mouse, Paper Thin Walls
>
> Shouldn't you put your signature on the BOTTOM of the message?
Yep, Thats just OE, I think it wants me to top-post, so I have had to turn
it off and then click Insert>signature, at the end of the post. I should
really change Newsreaders
--

BWIGLEY wrote:

> Yep, Thats just OE, I think it wants me to top-post, so I have had to
> turn it off and then click Insert>signature, at the end of the post.
> I should really change Newsreaders

Unmodified OE indeed wants you to top-post. However, there's no need to
change newsreader. I use OE as well, and it's fine for me. However, I
use a little add-on: OE-quotefix. It's really handy: it fixes line
length, it puts your insertion point at the correct place, puts your
signature at the bottom, etc.

When you read messages in OE, it additionally colours different quoting
levels, so it's much easier to see who wrote what.

I've been using it for years now, and haven't found it flawed in any
way. I recommend it: http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me