  • Titan
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
July 20, 2005 5:05:55 PM

A few days ago, I managed to polymorph my dog into a Titan called Big
Dude. Big Dude managed to steal my FrostBrand via a nymph before I
died. Now I have had two subsequent characters die to Big Dude, who is
sitting with FrostBrand on DL14 and I am not quite sure how to handle
him. In my current game, I tried the staircase run a few times before
ending in the pickle shown in the picture:

http://www.genebrew.com/nethack/screwed.png

That's two yellow dragons, a green dragon, a red dragon, a master mind
flayer, and Big Dude over in the opposite corner (how symbolic). Of
course, I ran back upstairs but every time I go down it seems like I
get fewer shots in and nastier monsters are being summoned.

My current status:
Neutral Valk, XL 14, HP 116, AC -9
Expert in hammer and dagger, basic at twoweapon
Magicbane, Mojo, Vorpy, silver dagger (all at base enchantment)
"AoR, [CoD, speed boots
Coaligned temples in Minetown and on DL12

The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?

More about : fighting titan

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 6:08:11 PM

deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
<snip>
> My current status:
> Neutral Valk, XL 14, HP 116, AC -9
> Expert in hammer and dagger, basic at twoweapon
> Magicbane, Mojo, Vorpy, silver dagger (all at base enchantment)

Engraving?

> "AoR, [CoD, speed boots
> Coaligned temples in Minetown and on DL12
>
> The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
> up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
> bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?

I vote for the digging option. Although I'd be tempted to just wade in
with Engraved square and try to pick up a dragon scale mail (assuming
you don't have one yet).

Do Titans destroy equipments? I don't remember...

-K
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 6:33:22 PM

Yes, they do, as I just found out in my current game. I as mulling over
what to use my final castle /WoW on, while looking for the entrance to
Ludios... I'd switched my [CoMR for a [Robe for spellcasting (knew i
should have gone for [GoD instead of [GoP :-p)) and I ran into a titan,
who disintegrated my [+5 SB before i killed him. He decided my final
wish for me.
MY turn for a question: would [CoMR have helped?

---

"The most merciful thing in all the world, I think, is the inability of
the human mind to correlate all of its contents. We live on a placid
island of ignorance amid black seas of infinity, and it is not meant
that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft
July 20, 2005 10:10:23 PM

samwid@gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, they do, as I just found out in my current game. I as mulling over
> what to use my final castle /WoW on, while looking for the entrance to
> Ludios... I'd switched my [CoMR for a [Robe for spellcasting (knew i
> should have gone for [GoD instead of [GoP :-p)) and I ran into a titan,
> who disintegrated my [+5 SB before i killed him. He decided my final
> wish for me.
> MY turn for a question: would [CoMR have helped?

Yes. Evidently, the titan cast the "Destroy Armor" spell, which is
prevented by magic resistance.

> ---
>
> "The most merciful thing in all the world, I think, is the inability of
> the human mind to correlate all of its contents. We live on a placid
> island of ignorance amid black seas of infinity, and it is not meant
> that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft

The standard sig delimiter is "-- ". I reccomend you use it.

--
____ (__)
/ \ (oo) -Zarel
|Moo. > \/
\____/
July 21, 2005 5:40:09 AM

> The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
> up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
> bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?

Have you tried collecting up all the armor lying around, putting it in a
chest at the top of the mines and petting/curse - uncurse status and finding
better armor thereby? your armor class is -9 I notice and I have a level 10
priest right now with -15 a.c. and 10 a.c. not wearing anything.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:54:29 AM

Kremti wrote:

> Engraving?

I have engraved on the staircase but it is already distorted.

> I vote for the digging option. Although I'd be tempted to just wade in
> with Engraved square and try to pick up a dragon scale mail (assuming
> you don't have one yet).

Already have poison and fire resistance, and acid is easy to avoid.

> Do Titans destroy equipments? I don't remember...

Certainly do. That is why I have to wield the puny Magicbane instead of
the powerful Mojo. [CoMR would be nice, but still, fighting all those
nasty monsters with more coming every couple of turns is not a recipe
for success.

-Rahul
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:58:23 AM

chuck wrote:
> Have you tried collecting up all the armor lying around, putting it in a
> chest at the top of the mines and petting/curse - uncurse status and finding
> better armor thereby? your armor class is -9 I notice and I have a level 10
> priest right now with -15 a.c. and 10 a.c. not wearing anything.

Well, I do not want to take off the speed boots or the [CoD. That
leaves a helmet, armor or shield. I have the Valk shield and should
probably use it -- took it off to twoweapon. As for the other two,
nothing better than dwarvish mithril and dwarvish helm so far.

-Rahul
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:00:59 AM

Jakob Creutzig wrote:

> My advise would be to run away, and use controlled teleport
> to avoid him at the ascension run. One does not have to
> fight every monster.

Hmmm, so I should wait till I have TC rather than using a wand of
digging to dig to DL15? I suppose that is safer, but may mean a long
wait. Sorry, not sure exactly what "ascension run" means, since I have
never ascended.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:23:31 PM

"deathdruid@gmail.com" <deathdruid@gmail.com> writes:

> A few days ago, I managed to polymorph my dog into a Titan called Big
> Dude. Big Dude managed to steal my FrostBrand via a nymph before I
> died. Now I have had two subsequent characters die to Big Dude, who is
> sitting with FrostBrand on DL14 and I am not quite sure how to handle
> him.

My advise would be to run away, and use controlled teleport
to avoid him at the ascension run. One does not have to
fight every monster.

Best,
Jakob
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:31:59 PM

deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:

> The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
> up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
> bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?

Encounter him often enough and eventually, you won't leave a bones level
any more...

Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:32:41 PM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
> > up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
> > bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?
>
> Encounter him often enough and eventually, you won't leave a bones level
> any more...

Actually, I skipped past that level using my wand of digging. If I die
now (very likely, the furthest I have ever been is to just see the
Castle), no more Big Dude bones file, right? Good riddance!
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:35:12 PM

Sean wrote:

> Heh, so all you've got is the best non-magical armour and helmet in the
> game? PUT 'EM ON, MAN!

I have them on; that's why I am at -9. My base AC is 6.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:50:43 PM

deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
> Actually, I skipped past that level using my wand of digging. If I die
> now (very likely, the furthest I have ever been is to just see the
> Castle), no more Big Dude bones file, right? Good riddance!

So long as you do not die on that level.

Even if you do die there, the bones creation chance is still less than
50%, I seem to remember.

By the way, if you can handle the individual monsters themselves, then
when you get enough equipment, you could always go back there from
below and lure the monsters away from the stairs. Of course, if you
come back once you're strong enough to handle the castle, those guys'll
probably be child's play.

- John H.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 6:17:20 PM

deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
> > Encounter him often enough and eventually, you won't leave a bones level
> > any more...
>
> Actually, I skipped past that level using my wand of digging. If I die
> now (very likely, the furthest I have ever been is to just see the
> Castle), no more Big Dude bones file, right? Good riddance!

I don't think that's the way it works. A bones file is
created for the level you die on some percentage of the
time. Die many times on the same level and eventually
it will not save a bones file and the problem is gone.
Die infinite times on other levels and it has no effect
on the bones file the level you aren't on. If I read the
source correctly.
July 21, 2005 11:26:50 PM

deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:

>>Have you tried collecting up all the armor lying around, putting it in a
>>chest at the top of the mines and petting/curse - uncurse status and finding
>>better armor thereby? your armor class is -9 I notice and I have a level 10
>>priest right now with -15 a.c. and 10 a.c. not wearing anything.
>
> Well, I do not want to take off the speed boots or the [CoD. That
> leaves a helmet, armor or shield. I have the Valk shield and should
> probably use it -- took it off to twoweapon. As for the other two,
> nothing better than dwarvish mithril and dwarvish helm so far.

Heh, so all you've got is the best non-magical armour and helmet in the
game? PUT 'EM ON, MAN!
July 22, 2005 3:23:26 AM

deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:

>>Heh, so all you've got is the best non-magical armour and helmet in the
>>game? PUT 'EM ON, MAN!
>
> I have them on; that's why I am at -9. My base AC is 6.

Ah. I misunderstood, then, Sorry! Carry on! Good luck! You show that
titan who's boss!
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:36:28 AM

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> I don't think that's the way it works. A bones file is
> created for the level you die on some percentage of the
> time. Die many times on the same level and eventually
> it will not save a bones file and the problem is gone.
> Die infinite times on other levels and it has no effect
> on the bones file the level you aren't on. If I read the
> source correctly.

The bones file goes away when it's loaded into an active game.
He's encountered the level in his current game, so there is no more
bones file... it's been subsumed into the game-in-progress. If he dies
now, a new bones file may be created... but only of the level he dies
on. If he dies on the level with the titan, there's a chance (not 100%)
that it'll create a new bones file of that level. If he dies on some
other level, it won't create a new bones of the titan level, so the
titan bones will be gone.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
> A few days ago, I managed to polymorph my dog into a Titan called Big
> Dude. Big Dude managed to steal my FrostBrand via a nymph before I
> died. Now I have had two subsequent characters die to Big Dude, who is
> sitting with FrostBrand on DL14 and I am not quite sure how to handle
> him. In my current game, I tried the staircase run a few times before
> ending in the pickle shown in the picture:
>
> The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
> up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
> bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?

Dig down, find and wear some gloves, find and kill some cockatrice,
quickly return to the titan, wield the cockatrice corpse, hit the titan,
unwield the cockatrice, wield a pick-axe, hit the boulder to get your
artifact weapon back.

Janis
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:21:43 AM

"Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Die infinite times on other levels and it has no effect
>on the bones file the level you aren't on. If I read the
>source correctly.

Like saved games, the bones file goes away as soon as it is loaded.
illusion/kinetics controlling is love
July 22, 2005 6:04:35 AM

Sean <sgegg@hotspammeallyouwantpop.com> wrote in

> deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>>Have you tried collecting up all the armor lying around, putting it in a
>>>chest at the top of the mines and petting/curse - uncurse status and
finding
>>>better armor thereby? your armor class is -9 I notice and I have a level
10
>>>priest right now with -15 a.c. and 10 a.c. not wearing anything.
>>
>> Well, I do not want to take off the speed boots or the [CoD. That
>> leaves a helmet, armor or shield. I have the Valk shield and should
>> probably use it -- took it off to twoweapon. As for the other two,
>> nothing better than dwarvish mithril and dwarvish helm so far.
>
> Heh, so all you've got is the best non-magical armour and helmet in the
> game? PUT 'EM ON, MAN!

That's precisely my point he could have +5 mithril and +? shield and helmet
to say nothing of a plus something cloak or even a higher a.c. shield, it
just takes some work to find them. But if you don't, then you might as well
avoid as much as possible or scrap the game.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 4:34:28 PM

"Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
> > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> >
> > > Encounter him often enough and eventually, you won't leave a bones
level
> > > any more...
> >
> > Actually, I skipped past that level using my wand of digging. If I die
> > now (very likely, the furthest I have ever been is to just see the
> > Castle), no more Big Dude bones file, right? Good riddance!
>
> I don't think that's the way it works. A bones file is
> created for the level you die on some percentage of the
> time. Die many times on the same level and eventually
> it will not save a bones file and the problem is gone.
> Die infinite times on other levels and it has no effect
> on the bones file the level you aren't on. If I read the
> source correctly.
He has loaded it, and so It is gone, so if he dies on a different level, it
will be gone because it wont be re-created.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:18:10 PM

deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:

> Actually, I skipped past that level using my wand of digging. If I die
> now (very likely, the furthest I have ever been is to just see the
> Castle), no more Big Dude bones file, right? Good riddance!

Postscript:

Died on the Medusa level. Bye bye Big Dude, I barely fought you.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:26:23 PM

"deathdruid@gmail.com" <deathdruid@gmail.com> writes:

> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>
> > My advise would be to run away, and use controlled teleport
> > to avoid him at the ascension run. One does not have to
> > fight every monster.
>
> Hmmm, so I should wait till I have TC rather than using a wand of
> digging to dig to DL15?

No, dig down now. You need to pass him on the ascension run
(where you unir gb trg gb yriry 1 naq shegure hcjneqf) later,
and there I suggest to use TC to avoid a lengthy fight.

Best,
Jakob
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 3:11:57 AM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jakob Creutzig wrote:

> "deathdruid@gmail.com" <deathdruid@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> >
> > > My advise would be to run away, and use controlled teleport
> > > to avoid him at the ascension run. One does not have to
> > > fight every monster.
> >
> > Hmmm, so I should wait till I have TC rather than using a wand of
> > digging to dig to DL15?
>
> No, dig down now. You need to pass him on the ascension run
> (where you unir gb trg gb yriry 1 naq shegure hcjneqf) later,
> and there I suggest to use TC to avoid a lengthy fight.

Or cursed gain level. Which will, iirc, avoid teleport problems caused by
the Amulet.

Alternatively, it is also possible to come back and fight before the run
(say, with a few purple worms and a way to confuse tame).

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:57:34 AM

Jym wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>
>>No, dig down now. You need to pass him on the ascension run
>>(where you unir gb trg gb yriry 1 naq shegure hcjneqf) later,
>>and there I suggest to use TC to avoid a lengthy fight.
>
> Or cursed gain level. Which will, iirc, avoid teleport problems caused by
> the Amulet.

Wizmode shows that in Gehennom you will occasionally be thrown back when
quaffing a cursed potion of gain level while carrying The Amulet.

Janis
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 3:49:30 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> Jym wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> >
> >>No, dig down now. You need to pass him on the ascension run
> >>(where you unir gb trg gb yriry 1 naq shegure hcjneqf) later,
> >>and there I suggest to use TC to avoid a lengthy fight.
> >
> > Or cursed gain level. Which will, iirc, avoid teleport problems caused by
> > the Amulet.
>
> Wizmode shows that in Gehennom you will occasionally be thrown back when
> quaffing a cursed potion of gain level while carrying The Amulet.

IIRC, the OP's problem was a Titan at DL15.
So there would be no mysterious force while going up but still the
teleport problem caused by the Amulet.

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:27:39 PM

Jym <moyen@loria.fr> writes:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jakob Creutzig wrote:

> > > Hmmm, so I should wait till I have TC rather than using a wand of
> > > digging to dig to DL15?
> >
> > No, dig down now. You need to pass him on the ascension run
> > (where you unir gb trg gb yriry 1 naq shegure hcjneqf) later,
> > and there I suggest to use TC to avoid a lengthy fight.
>
> Or cursed gain level. Which will, iirc, avoid teleport problems caused by
> the Amulet.

In my experience, wands of teleport are much more frequent and I
spare any c?oGL for no-teleport levels.

Best,
Jakob
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 9:28:42 PM

Jym wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>>Jym wrote:

>>>Or cursed gain level. Which will, iirc, avoid teleport problems caused by
>>>the Amulet.
>>
>>Wizmode shows that in Gehennom you will occasionally be thrown back when
>>quaffing a cursed potion of gain level while carrying The Amulet.
>
> IIRC, the OP's problem was a Titan at DL15.

The OP's, yes. But the context here was already _having_ The Amulet; the
OP didn't say anything that he has it, rather gave the impression that he
was on his way _down_. (Or did I miss anything?)

> So there would be no mysterious force while going up but still the
> teleport problem caused by the Amulet.

There is no force throwing you down when going up, once you left Gehennom
with The Amulet. Scroll and potion seem to behave similar in this respect.

At that stage (i.e. with Amulet) the only difference would be that in the
scroll case you have to reach the stairs first which probably could require
some scrolls; if that was your point.

Janis
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 9:40:39 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> Jym wrote:

> >>Wizmode shows that in Gehennom you will occasionally be thrown back when
> >>quaffing a cursed potion of gain level while carrying The Amulet.
> >
> > IIRC, the OP's problem was a Titan at DL15.
>
> The OP's, yes. But the context here was already _having_ The Amulet; the
> OP didn't say anything that he has it, rather gave the impression that he
> was on his way _down_. (Or did I miss anything?)

You're right, and the solution for going down is to dig, as was said in
this thread. But, hopefully, after going down the OP will have to go up
through that level with the Amulet.

> > So there would be no mysterious force while going up but still the
> > teleport problem caused by the Amulet.
>
> There is no force throwing you down when going up, once you left Gehennom
> with The Amulet. Scroll and potion seem to behave similar in this respect.
>
> At that stage (i.e. with Amulet) the only difference would be that in the
> scroll case you have to reach the stairs first which probably could require
> some scrolls; if that was your point.

Yes. If one want to really avoid the level (because it's filled with the
summoning storm of a Titan), potion will be a better way than
scrolls/wand/spell since it's guaranteed to work and you have no risk to
accidentally land in a room filled with nasties.

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:11:58 PM

Jym wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>>
>>At that stage (i.e. with Amulet) the only difference would be that in the
>>scroll case you have to reach the stairs first which probably could require
>>some scrolls; if that was your point.
>
> Yes. If one want to really avoid the level (because it's filled with the
> summoning storm of a Titan), potion will be a better way than
> scrolls/wand/spell since it's guaranteed to work and you have no risk to
> accidentally land in a room filled with nasties.

Well, you have the risk a level above. But true, if you assume the titan
already summoned. It's helpful to have the potion as an option then.

Though there are some downsides; potions are IIRC four times as heavy as
scrolls and three times as heavy as wands. Then, as Jakob mentioned, they
are much less frequent than the scrolls (or wands). The rare potions are
also generally better used for alchemy, IMO, to create lots of full healing
potions, which are quite necessary for the endgame.

I agree, it is a good application to use the potion for emergency escapes.
Though up to the middle game cursed scrolls of teleport will be available
more often to achieve that. After you have the Amulet and still in Gehennom
they are unreliable; nevertheless there is the notable exception of non-
teleport levels. So, I'd say, they are of some but limited applicability
here.

Another interesting and fun application is to leave the potion for some
tough monster at the floor, at best on the first level in Vlads tower or
Sokoban. ;-)

Janis
!