Fighting a Titan

A few days ago, I managed to polymorph my dog into a Titan called Big
Dude. Big Dude managed to steal my FrostBrand via a nymph before I
died. Now I have had two subsequent characters die to Big Dude, who is
sitting with FrostBrand on DL14 and I am not quite sure how to handle
him. In my current game, I tried the staircase run a few times before
ending in the pickle shown in the picture:

http://www.genebrew.com/nethack/screwed.png

That's two yellow dragons, a green dragon, a red dragon, a master mind
flayer, and Big Dude over in the opposite corner (how symbolic). Of
course, I ran back upstairs but every time I go down it seems like I
get fewer shots in and nastier monsters are being summoned.

My current status:
Neutral Valk, XL 14, HP 116, AC -9
Expert in hammer and dagger, basic at twoweapon
Magicbane, Mojo, Vorpy, silver dagger (all at base enchantment)
"AoR, [CoD, speed boots
Coaligned temples in Minetown and on DL12

The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?
29 answers Last reply
More about fighting titan

    deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
    <snip>
    > My current status:
    > Neutral Valk, XL 14, HP 116, AC -9
    > Expert in hammer and dagger, basic at twoweapon
    > Magicbane, Mojo, Vorpy, silver dagger (all at base enchantment)

    Engraving?

    > "AoR, [CoD, speed boots
    > Coaligned temples in Minetown and on DL12
    >
    > The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
    > up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
    > bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?

    I vote for the digging option. Although I'd be tempted to just wade in
    with Engraved square and try to pick up a dragon scale mail (assuming
    you don't have one yet).

    Do Titans destroy equipments? I don't remember...

    -K

    Yes, they do, as I just found out in my current game. I as mulling over
    what to use my final castle /WoW on, while looking for the entrance to
    Ludios... I'd switched my [CoMR for a [Robe for spellcasting (knew i
    should have gone for [GoD instead of [GoP :-p)) and I ran into a titan,
    who disintegrated my [+5 SB before i killed him. He decided my final
    wish for me.
    MY turn for a question: would [CoMR have helped?

    ---

    "The most merciful thing in all the world, I think, is the inability of
    the human mind to correlate all of its contents. We live on a placid
    island of ignorance amid black seas of infinity, and it is not meant
    that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft

    samwid@gmail.com wrote:
    > Yes, they do, as I just found out in my current game. I as mulling over
    > what to use my final castle /WoW on, while looking for the entrance to
    > Ludios... I'd switched my [CoMR for a [Robe for spellcasting (knew i
    > should have gone for [GoD instead of [GoP :-p)) and I ran into a titan,
    > who disintegrated my [+5 SB before i killed him. He decided my final
    > wish for me.
    > MY turn for a question: would [CoMR have helped?

    Yes. Evidently, the titan cast the "Destroy Armor" spell, which is
    prevented by magic resistance.

    > ---
    >
    > "The most merciful thing in all the world, I think, is the inability of
    > the human mind to correlate all of its contents. We live on a placid
    > island of ignorance amid black seas of infinity, and it is not meant
    > that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft

    The standard sig delimiter is "-- ". I reccomend you use it.

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Zarel
    \____/

    > The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
    > up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
    > bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?

    Have you tried collecting up all the armor lying around, putting it in a
    chest at the top of the mines and petting/curse - uncurse status and finding
    better armor thereby? your armor class is -9 I notice and I have a level 10
    priest right now with -15 a.c. and 10 a.c. not wearing anything.

    Kremti wrote:

    > Engraving?

    I have engraved on the staircase but it is already distorted.

    > I vote for the digging option. Although I'd be tempted to just wade in
    > with Engraved square and try to pick up a dragon scale mail (assuming
    > you don't have one yet).

    Already have poison and fire resistance, and acid is easy to avoid.

    > Do Titans destroy equipments? I don't remember...

    Certainly do. That is why I have to wield the puny Magicbane instead of
    the powerful Mojo. [CoMR would be nice, but still, fighting all those
    nasty monsters with more coming every couple of turns is not a recipe
    for success.

    -Rahul
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    chuck wrote:
    > Have you tried collecting up all the armor lying around, putting it in a
    > chest at the top of the mines and petting/curse - uncurse status and finding
    > better armor thereby? your armor class is -9 I notice and I have a level 10
    > priest right now with -15 a.c. and 10 a.c. not wearing anything.

    Well, I do not want to take off the speed boots or the [CoD. That
    leaves a helmet, armor or shield. I have the Valk shield and should
    probably use it -- took it off to twoweapon. As for the other two,
    nothing better than dwarvish mithril and dwarvish helm so far.

    -Rahul
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jakob Creutzig wrote:

    > My advise would be to run away, and use controlled teleport
    > to avoid him at the ascension run. One does not have to
    > fight every monster.

    Hmmm, so I should wait till I have TC rather than using a wand of
    digging to dig to DL15? I suppose that is safer, but may mean a long
    wait. Sorry, not sure exactly what "ascension run" means, since I have
    never ascended.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "deathdruid@gmail.com" <deathdruid@gmail.com> writes:

    > A few days ago, I managed to polymorph my dog into a Titan called Big
    > Dude. Big Dude managed to steal my FrostBrand via a nymph before I
    > died. Now I have had two subsequent characters die to Big Dude, who is
    > sitting with FrostBrand on DL14 and I am not quite sure how to handle
    > him.

    My advise would be to run away, and use controlled teleport
    to avoid him at the ascension run. One does not have to
    fight every monster.

    Best,
    Jakob
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:

    > The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
    > up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
    > bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?

    Encounter him often enough and eventually, you won't leave a bones level
    any more...

    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
    > > up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
    > > bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?
    >
    > Encounter him often enough and eventually, you won't leave a bones level
    > any more...

    Actually, I skipped past that level using my wand of digging. If I die
    now (very likely, the furthest I have ever been is to just see the
    Castle), no more Big Dude bones file, right? Good riddance!
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Sean wrote:

    > Heh, so all you've got is the best non-magical armour and helmet in the
    > game? PUT 'EM ON, MAN!

    I have them on; that's why I am at -9. My base AC is 6.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
    > Actually, I skipped past that level using my wand of digging. If I die
    > now (very likely, the furthest I have ever been is to just see the
    > Castle), no more Big Dude bones file, right? Good riddance!

    So long as you do not die on that level.

    Even if you do die there, the bones creation chance is still less than
    50%, I seem to remember.

    By the way, if you can handle the individual monsters themselves, then
    when you get enough equipment, you could always go back there from
    below and lure the monsters away from the stairs. Of course, if you
    come back once you're strong enough to handle the castle, those guys'll
    probably be child's play.

    - John H.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
    > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    >
    > > Encounter him often enough and eventually, you won't leave a bones level
    > > any more...
    >
    > Actually, I skipped past that level using my wand of digging. If I die
    > now (very likely, the furthest I have ever been is to just see the
    > Castle), no more Big Dude bones file, right? Good riddance!

    I don't think that's the way it works. A bones file is
    created for the level you die on some percentage of the
    time. Die many times on the same level and eventually
    it will not save a bones file and the problem is gone.
    Die infinite times on other levels and it has no effect
    on the bones file the level you aren't on. If I read the
    source correctly.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:

    >>Have you tried collecting up all the armor lying around, putting it in a
    >>chest at the top of the mines and petting/curse - uncurse status and finding
    >>better armor thereby? your armor class is -9 I notice and I have a level 10
    >>priest right now with -15 a.c. and 10 a.c. not wearing anything.
    >
    > Well, I do not want to take off the speed boots or the [CoD. That
    > leaves a helmet, armor or shield. I have the Valk shield and should
    > probably use it -- took it off to twoweapon. As for the other two,
    > nothing better than dwarvish mithril and dwarvish helm so far.

    Heh, so all you've got is the best non-magical armour and helmet in the
    game? PUT 'EM ON, MAN!
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:

    >>Heh, so all you've got is the best non-magical armour and helmet in the
    >>game? PUT 'EM ON, MAN!
    >
    > I have them on; that's why I am at -9. My base AC is 6.

    Ah. I misunderstood, then, Sorry! Carry on! Good luck! You show that
    titan who's boss!
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > I don't think that's the way it works. A bones file is
    > created for the level you die on some percentage of the
    > time. Die many times on the same level and eventually
    > it will not save a bones file and the problem is gone.
    > Die infinite times on other levels and it has no effect
    > on the bones file the level you aren't on. If I read the
    > source correctly.

    The bones file goes away when it's loaded into an active game.
    He's encountered the level in his current game, so there is no more
    bones file... it's been subsumed into the game-in-progress. If he dies
    now, a new bones file may be created... but only of the level he dies
    on. If he dies on the level with the titan, there's a chance (not 100%)
    that it'll create a new bones file of that level. If he dies on some
    other level, it won't create a new bones of the titan level, so the
    titan bones will be gone.

    --
    John Campbell
    jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

    deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
    > A few days ago, I managed to polymorph my dog into a Titan called Big
    > Dude. Big Dude managed to steal my FrostBrand via a nymph before I
    > died. Now I have had two subsequent characters die to Big Dude, who is
    > sitting with FrostBrand on DL14 and I am not quite sure how to handle
    > him. In my current game, I tried the staircase run a few times before
    > ending in the pickle shown in the picture:
    >
    > The only option I can think of is to dig through to DL15 and come back
    > up when I am a Bigger Dude. Any other ideas, short of uploading my
    > bones file to Hearse and deleting it from my machine?

    Dig down, find and wear some gloves, find and kill some cockatrice,
    quickly return to the titan, wield the cockatrice corpse, hit the titan,
    unwield the cockatrice, wield a pick-axe, hit the boulder to get your
    artifact weapon back.

    Janis
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Die infinite times on other levels and it has no effect
    >on the bones file the level you aren't on. If I read the
    >source correctly.

    Like saved games, the bones file goes away as soon as it is loaded.
    illusion/kinetics controlling is love
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Sean <sgegg@hotspammeallyouwantpop.com> wrote in

    > deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>>Have you tried collecting up all the armor lying around, putting it in a
    >>>chest at the top of the mines and petting/curse - uncurse status and
    finding
    >>>better armor thereby? your armor class is -9 I notice and I have a level
    10
    >>>priest right now with -15 a.c. and 10 a.c. not wearing anything.
    >>
    >> Well, I do not want to take off the speed boots or the [CoD. That
    >> leaves a helmet, armor or shield. I have the Valk shield and should
    >> probably use it -- took it off to twoweapon. As for the other two,
    >> nothing better than dwarvish mithril and dwarvish helm so far.
    >
    > Heh, so all you've got is the best non-magical armour and helmet in the
    > game? PUT 'EM ON, MAN!

    That's precisely my point he could have +5 mithril and +? shield and helmet
    to say nothing of a plus something cloak or even a higher a.c. shield, it
    just takes some work to find them. But if you don't, then you might as well
    avoid as much as possible or scrap the game.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > >
    > > > Encounter him often enough and eventually, you won't leave a bones
    level
    > > > any more...
    > >
    > > Actually, I skipped past that level using my wand of digging. If I die
    > > now (very likely, the furthest I have ever been is to just see the
    > > Castle), no more Big Dude bones file, right? Good riddance!
    >
    > I don't think that's the way it works. A bones file is
    > created for the level you die on some percentage of the
    > time. Die many times on the same level and eventually
    > it will not save a bones file and the problem is gone.
    > Die infinite times on other levels and it has no effect
    > on the bones file the level you aren't on. If I read the
    > source correctly.
    He has loaded it, and so It is gone, so if he dies on a different level, it
    will be gone because it wont be re-created.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    deathdruid@gmail.com wrote:

    > Actually, I skipped past that level using my wand of digging. If I die
    > now (very likely, the furthest I have ever been is to just see the
    > Castle), no more Big Dude bones file, right? Good riddance!

    Postscript:

    Died on the Medusa level. Bye bye Big Dude, I barely fought you.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "deathdruid@gmail.com" <deathdruid@gmail.com> writes:

    > Jakob Creutzig wrote:
    >
    > > My advise would be to run away, and use controlled teleport
    > > to avoid him at the ascension run. One does not have to
    > > fight every monster.
    >
    > Hmmm, so I should wait till I have TC rather than using a wand of
    > digging to dig to DL15?

    No, dig down now. You need to pass him on the ascension run
    (where you unir gb trg gb yriry 1 naq shegure hcjneqf) later,
    and there I suggest to use TC to avoid a lengthy fight.

    Best,
    Jakob
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jakob Creutzig wrote:

    > "deathdruid@gmail.com" <deathdruid@gmail.com> writes:
    >
    > > Jakob Creutzig wrote:
    > >
    > > > My advise would be to run away, and use controlled teleport
    > > > to avoid him at the ascension run. One does not have to
    > > > fight every monster.
    > >
    > > Hmmm, so I should wait till I have TC rather than using a wand of
    > > digging to dig to DL15?
    >
    > No, dig down now. You need to pass him on the ascension run
    > (where you unir gb trg gb yriry 1 naq shegure hcjneqf) later,
    > and there I suggest to use TC to avoid a lengthy fight.

    Or cursed gain level. Which will, iirc, avoid teleport problems caused by
    the Amulet.

    Alternatively, it is also possible to come back and fight before the run
    (say, with a few purple worms and a way to confuse tame).

    --
    Hypocoristiquement,
    Jym.

    Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
    Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
    Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jym wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jakob Creutzig wrote:
    >
    >>No, dig down now. You need to pass him on the ascension run
    >>(where you unir gb trg gb yriry 1 naq shegure hcjneqf) later,
    >>and there I suggest to use TC to avoid a lengthy fight.
    >
    > Or cursed gain level. Which will, iirc, avoid teleport problems caused by
    > the Amulet.

    Wizmode shows that in Gehennom you will occasionally be thrown back when
    quaffing a cursed potion of gain level while carrying The Amulet.

    Janis
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

    > Jym wrote:
    > > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jakob Creutzig wrote:
    > >
    > >>No, dig down now. You need to pass him on the ascension run
    > >>(where you unir gb trg gb yriry 1 naq shegure hcjneqf) later,
    > >>and there I suggest to use TC to avoid a lengthy fight.
    > >
    > > Or cursed gain level. Which will, iirc, avoid teleport problems caused by
    > > the Amulet.
    >
    > Wizmode shows that in Gehennom you will occasionally be thrown back when
    > quaffing a cursed potion of gain level while carrying The Amulet.

    IIRC, the OP's problem was a Titan at DL15.
    So there would be no mysterious force while going up but still the
    teleport problem caused by the Amulet.

    --
    Hypocoristiquement,
    Jym.

    Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
    Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
    Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jym <moyen@loria.fr> writes:

    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jakob Creutzig wrote:

    > > > Hmmm, so I should wait till I have TC rather than using a wand of
    > > > digging to dig to DL15?
    > >
    > > No, dig down now. You need to pass him on the ascension run
    > > (where you unir gb trg gb yriry 1 naq shegure hcjneqf) later,
    > > and there I suggest to use TC to avoid a lengthy fight.
    >
    > Or cursed gain level. Which will, iirc, avoid teleport problems caused by
    > the Amulet.

    In my experience, wands of teleport are much more frequent and I
    spare any c?oGL for no-teleport levels.

    Best,
    Jakob
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jym wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    >>Jym wrote:

    >>>Or cursed gain level. Which will, iirc, avoid teleport problems caused by
    >>>the Amulet.
    >>
    >>Wizmode shows that in Gehennom you will occasionally be thrown back when
    >>quaffing a cursed potion of gain level while carrying The Amulet.
    >
    > IIRC, the OP's problem was a Titan at DL15.

    The OP's, yes. But the context here was already _having_ The Amulet; the
    OP didn't say anything that he has it, rather gave the impression that he
    was on his way _down_. (Or did I miss anything?)

    > So there would be no mysterious force while going up but still the
    > teleport problem caused by the Amulet.

    There is no force throwing you down when going up, once you left Gehennom
    with The Amulet. Scroll and potion seem to behave similar in this respect.

    At that stage (i.e. with Amulet) the only difference would be that in the
    scroll case you have to reach the stairs first which probably could require
    some scrolls; if that was your point.

    Janis
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

    > Jym wrote:

    > >>Wizmode shows that in Gehennom you will occasionally be thrown back when
    > >>quaffing a cursed potion of gain level while carrying The Amulet.
    > >
    > > IIRC, the OP's problem was a Titan at DL15.
    >
    > The OP's, yes. But the context here was already _having_ The Amulet; the
    > OP didn't say anything that he has it, rather gave the impression that he
    > was on his way _down_. (Or did I miss anything?)

    You're right, and the solution for going down is to dig, as was said in
    this thread. But, hopefully, after going down the OP will have to go up
    through that level with the Amulet.

    > > So there would be no mysterious force while going up but still the
    > > teleport problem caused by the Amulet.
    >
    > There is no force throwing you down when going up, once you left Gehennom
    > with The Amulet. Scroll and potion seem to behave similar in this respect.
    >
    > At that stage (i.e. with Amulet) the only difference would be that in the
    > scroll case you have to reach the stairs first which probably could require
    > some scrolls; if that was your point.

    Yes. If one want to really avoid the level (because it's filled with the
    summoning storm of a Titan), potion will be a better way than
    scrolls/wand/spell since it's guaranteed to work and you have no risk to
    accidentally land in a room filled with nasties.

    --
    Hypocoristiquement,
    Jym.

    Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
    Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
    Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jym wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    >>
    >>At that stage (i.e. with Amulet) the only difference would be that in the
    >>scroll case you have to reach the stairs first which probably could require
    >>some scrolls; if that was your point.
    >
    > Yes. If one want to really avoid the level (because it's filled with the
    > summoning storm of a Titan), potion will be a better way than
    > scrolls/wand/spell since it's guaranteed to work and you have no risk to
    > accidentally land in a room filled with nasties.

    Well, you have the risk a level above. But true, if you assume the titan
    already summoned. It's helpful to have the potion as an option then.

    Though there are some downsides; potions are IIRC four times as heavy as
    scrolls and three times as heavy as wands. Then, as Jakob mentioned, they
    are much less frequent than the scrolls (or wands). The rare potions are
    also generally better used for alchemy, IMO, to create lots of full healing
    potions, which are quite necessary for the endgame.

    I agree, it is a good application to use the potion for emergency escapes.
    Though up to the middle game cursed scrolls of teleport will be available
    more often to achieve that. After you have the Amulet and still in Gehennom
    they are unreliable; nevertheless there is the notable exception of non-
    teleport levels. So, I'd say, they are of some but limited applicability
    here.

    Another interesting and fun application is to leave the potion for some
    tough monster at the floor, at best on the first level in Vlads tower or
    Sokoban. ;-)

    Janis

Titan Video Games