2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Open to any size.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Not a priority.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
The only game we play right now is WoW, I would like med-high resolution with 50 fps rate. My kids play a number of computer games, but I do not think any of them are graphics intensive (Empire Total War, CoD Modern Warfare).
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Other than WoW, no graphics intensive games yet. Surfing, e-mail, Quicken, OpenOffice. Watching movies (not necessarially blu-ray) would be good. Storing my music collection (~150g).
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
none been searching newegg.com and tigerdirect.com, but have been overwhelmed by the options.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-5 years. I am a buy and hold owner. My current laptop is a D610. It cannot handle WoW Cata.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD / writer
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I like the feel of the Dell. Had a bad experience with Toshiba - the motherboard cracked shortly after warranty period. See answer to #14.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I have a child who is hard on stuff (not abusive). I need a laptop that can withstand rougher handling. The Dell has withstood 3 years with no problem. I wonder if the Toshiba could not take it. I also suspect larger screen size increases the chance of a cracked screen. Beautiful but fragile is not an option.