Sign in with
Your question

Sign-in to other Homegroup computer

Last response: in Windows 7
January 23, 2013 1:37:03 PM

I have setup a Homegroup for a desktop and 2 laptops. All computers have joined the Homegroup and the 2 laptops can see files on the other computers. However, when I try to access the other computers from the desktop, I'm asked to signin. I enter the other computer user's name and since neither has a password I just click on OK. Then I get a message that says I don't have permission to access the files.

Why am I asked to sign-in only on my desktop?

Do I need to setup passwords on the laptops?

a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
a c 209 $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 2:07:20 PM

are they all on windows 7?
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 3:11:02 PM

You created a homegroup, but did you set which folders should be shared and at what level of access? Take a look around your network and sharing center.
m
l
January 23, 2013 3:34:15 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
You created a homegroup, but did you set which folders should be shared and at what level of access? Take a look around your network and sharing center.

I did review sharing options. The laptops had sharing set for Homegroup to "Read". I changed it to "Read/Write". It made no difference.

However, even before I did that, the laptops could see each others files without being asked to sign-in.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 3:46:35 PM

Grasping here... have you tried dropping the desktop from the homegroup and re-adding it? May try that, then power all the machines down and back up.
m
l
January 23, 2013 4:32:36 PM

I left the Homegroup, restarted my Desktop, and re-Joined the same Homegroup. Got asked to sign-in (coputername\username and no password) and then got rejected.

I went ahead and added a password to one of the laptops. I restarted my Desktop again and this time when I was asked to sign in , I used computername\username and password. It let me access the files then.

At least I can work with the files now. However, it is annoying to sign-in each time and I and now when I reboot the laptop, it pauses until I give it the password. That laptop isn't asked to sign-in when accessing the Desktop files through Homegroup.

Any idea why one computer must sign-in and others don't?
m
l
January 23, 2013 9:17:20 PM

Much thanks. That liminated the restart sign-in. Appreciate it.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 10:13:31 PM

Sorry I couldn't do better than a workaround. Hard to troubleshoot sharing withou being there. :) 
m
l
!