How can I buy AMD and not be angry about the price

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
grr got my 1.33 GHz chip and 2 weeks later its $40 cheaper.
Its a great performer, but its very frustrating I could have gotten a faster chip with $40, or more ram. Its great that prices are going down and all, but why so fast, and why so much?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Because AMD cuts prices all the time. It's the way technology is, you just have to live with it. My 1.2/266 is $40 less than it was when I bought it, too.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
look on the bright side, it could have been $200 you 'lost' if it were a PIV.

Chip prices are coming down all the time, it is a fact of life - don't worry too much $40 is not so much in the grand scheme of things. I'll give you a tip - it'll be down another $40 within 2-4 weeks.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

That's why I'm waiting until AMD will make last Athlon B, then after Palomino prices will just fall down and I bet that after Christmas 1.4Ghz 200fsb will cost less than $100!

Edison

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
I can live with the price reductions, but it "convinces" me to upgrade more than I need to. I would have been happy with my 850 TBird, but when that darn 1.3 TBird dropped to less than I paid for the 850, my checkbook leaped to my hand. <g> AMD might be pretty smart after all. I know my son will agree, he likes my hand me downs.

Now if I can just hold off until the performance doubles (sometime next year, perhaps)...

G

Ever heard of <i>Moore’s Law</i>?

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Hmmm...you guys forget so easily...

Remember what processors USED to cost? I bought a PIII-450 for $276 bucks back in the day, and it had already been out for a while.

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I remember buying a Supra 20mb hardrive/8mb of ram for my Amiga, cost: $950!! The external floppy was over $100 by itself. Latter on I bought 16mb of Ram for my Amiga 1200, cost: $450. Man I love today prices compared to yester years. Makes a GF3 price look cheap when I think about what I paid for what would be consider junk today.