New CPU in current system: Should I reinstall OS?

ILLRobinson

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001
I just upp'ed my cpu from a PIII-800 to a PIII-1ghz (retail). Having done this in my already-up-and-running system, the performance boost was almost nil.

I understand that the 200mhz jump isnt a helluva alot but a expected at least a bit of a bump up in my benchmarks and I havent seen much difference. A friend suggested reinstalling W2K, but I wasnt sure if this would show anything different.

Well, any thoughts/suggestions would be welcomed.

-Robs

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
The 1 Gigger will not, i repeat, will not show a noticeable difference from an 800MHz machine..its only Benchmarks (for bragging rights, literally) that will determine that the 1 Gigger is faster than the 800.....therefore re-installing your OS is useless......were talking 200MHz here..when u get into these high speeds, you stop noticing improvements in system response and overall performance, as the CPU's are already fast enough to do anythign you need it to, so if you want to waste your time and re-install ur OS go ahead. But seeing how its not a Driver for the OS that makes your CPU run, swapping CPU's from a 800 - 1000MHz CPU wont do anything...its like saying.. "If i overclock my 800 to 1GHz do i have to re-install?" its the same thing, except u swapped the physical piece of hardware, so no...

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you shouldn't need to, you may need a good cleaning out of the OS, which would be best done by reinstalling the OS, but CPU changes don't generally require it.
what benchmarks?

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.