need help over clocking a p3 800 to 900mhz

G

hello i need help overclocking my PIII-800 to 900mhz i know that 900mhz is the highest that my mother board will let it go. the current speed that the cpu is set at is 840mhz and i want 2 increase it to 900mhz but every time i set it to 900mhz it won't boot into windows or it won't display anything on screen so generally it won't boot my mother board that i am using is a 'VIA VT82C693 Apollo Pro Plus Chipset' and i have 128 pc133 SD RAM. thanks for your time :)
-Triz.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your motherboard will go beyond 900 if you can raise the bus speed. Do you have the 800E (100FSB) or the 800EB (133FSB)? If you have the 800E, go into bios and see what bus speed you can set it to above 100. YOu might be able to do 133, but it is not likely with your processor, as it would be running above the speed most can be overclocked to. If you have the 800EB, look for a 150MHz setting as this would raise it to 900
YOu CANNOT raise the speed by cahnging to a different multiplier, PIII's are multiplier locked. YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE 700E, WHICH OVERCLOCKS EASILY TO 933!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

yo Crashman i don't think u read me correctly i've found that option 2 raise the FSB to 150mhz i'm asking how 2 make it possible 2 be able 2 boot with that speed cause i can't boot into windows or anything and yes i have the 800EB model do u know how 2 remedy the boot thing?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you may need 2 raise your core voltage 2 1.75v, or maybe 1.80v, 2 make it work. If you do not have this option in BIOS, please provide me with the standard voltage as written on your CPU and I will tell you how 2 modify the pins 2 do it that way.

G

CrashMan i have sent you a private message about my cpu voltage which i think is 1.3v or 1.4v and i just wanted 2 ask if this is safe? and will i gain a significant performance increase from this? i really want my pc 2 o'clock 2 900mhz =) thanks in advance
-Triz

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You only get low voltages like that on a Mobile processor. Recheck it, pull the heatsink if you have no indication of the voltage in BIOS, it is written on the lable.

G

i couldn't remove the heatsink cause it was like 'locked' on the motherboard but i used a tool to check my voltage and its set at 1.7v

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you cannot raise it in BIOS, you can raise it to 1.80v by connecting pin Vid1 to VSS, either on the motherboard (through a solder bridge) or on the CPU (hotwiring it). Oh, and that's for the Socket 370 CPU. A similar modification can be done to the Slot1, you just have to find a Slot1 expert to tell you which connectors if that's what your using.