Celeron 700

G

Hi i am a newbie to this group so excuse my amateurish questions :) In terms of performance how will Celeron 700 compare to Pentium III 600?
By performance i mean running apps like apache/tomcat. I dont intend to do any high end graphics?

THanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Poor. I did a comparison of a Celeron 850 to a PIII 700, the Celeron lost.
Comparing the Celeron 700 to the Celeron 850, the 700 still has a 66MHz system bus, while the Celeron 850 uses 100. So the Celeron 700 pain out stinks. I would not be too surprized to see the Celeron 700 score 30% lower in benchmarks than the PIII 600.
Plus the PIII 600 can be overclocked to 800 on any 133FSB capable motherboard by making it go to 133FSB. On motherboards that do not support manual bus settings, it can still be done using pin modification.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Thanks a lot crashman, that was useful as i was trying to save 300 bucks on a vaio FX200, by choosing Celeron a very attaractive choice after my lay-off.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, now, you could always get the one with the Celeron 700 and upgrade it to 1GHz for less than that. The 1GHz CPU is going for under $200 right now in the retail box with the retail heatsink/fan with a 3 year warantee on the processor from Intel!

G

Really! i could do that (upgrade to 1 GHz) with sony vaio laptop. I know its easy to upgrade desktops, does it work the same for laptops?

G

i think some are upgradable while other may not.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your going to have to get the skinny on the laptop, like the last guy said, some upgrade, others do not. It depends on three things, the memory speed, whether the CPU is sodered in or uses pins, and the available bus speed of the circuite board. Sorry, I was thinking of the Sony desktop, but some laptops are upgradable.