Sign in with
Your question

Brand new PC, Blue Screen of Death 1min into Windows installation

Last response: in Windows 7
January 23, 2013 4:02:20 PM

Hey community,

I am new here and I hope I don't have to stay here for too many days.. I was excited to get my new beast of a computer I paid so much for up and running, and it gives me a BSOD on 3 different Windows CD's one minute or so into the installation.

Motherboard: gigabyte ga-z7x-ud5h
CPU: i7 3770k
750W PSU
16 GB Ram

Please help :(  PC store won't accept returns and is refusing free repair/check up.
January 23, 2013 4:12:36 PM

Nice company that won't accept returns or offer to help. Did they build the pc for you or did you just buy the parts from them and build yourself?

At any rate, first thing I would do is run MemTest to check the RAM: http://www.memtest.org/
m
l
January 23, 2013 4:14:31 PM

maui67 said:
Nice company that won't accept returns or offer to help. Did they build the pc for you or did you just buy the parts from them and build yourself?

At any rate, first thing I would do is run MemTest to check the RAM: http://www.memtest.org/

Yeah, they are horrible, they just sell cheaper than other stores around. Friend says they will get hit with a major lawsuit in a few months. I bought the parts, and friend built it. Thankfully we do have consumer rights here but I'm not looking forward to a 90 day procedure of getting my money back, which is in progress since today. I just want a working PC.

Can I use the MemTest straight off a USB? Copy files to USB, insert to PC and run?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 23, 2013 4:36:30 PM

tzvikagee,

Any chance you can take a picture of these BSOD`s so we can get a rough Idea of what is going on it would help, and we may be able to work out the problem if you can post a link here on the forum of a picture of the bsod error message it may help as an indicator to the exact problem.

Anyway most of the causes can be bad memory, so a memory test is a good Idea.

If it passes on a few runs then ok.
But if it crashes on a memory test run.

Sometimes the cause can be a bad power supply to blame, not giving out a smooth wattage or Amp flow from the Psu.

Or memory sticks slightly under volted. so it is a good Idea to check the voltages on a sticker on the side of the ram to say what it runs at.

Also take a note of the Timing settings of the memory.

eg: 15:15:15 10 as an example.

Then have a look in your bios of the board, under the memory settings.

To see if it set them right when it auto detected them by the bios. If not manually change the values so they match what it says on the ram sticks. Make sure the speed of the front side bus for the memory is also set right.
A rule of thumb is this. If the memory states its for example 1600Mhz then the Fsb speed
of the memory memory should be set to 800Mhz. as it is Double data rate memory module. sending and receiving data to, and from the cpu ,back to the memory module. at the same time.
So 800Mhz fsb up 800Mhz down at the same time =1600Mhz rated memory.
If it is set higher than that on the FSB of the memory setting it will also cause alot of Bsod`s as you may be running the memory over its speed rating. Bsod` happen like this also.
m
l
January 23, 2013 4:51:28 PM

with the amount of time its taking to bsod id say heat is the enemy, is heatsink properly greased and seated?
m
l
!