f u again, RNG

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Hit a polymorph trap despite having automatic search, searching twice
per square, and maxed luck, which turned my samurai into a woman ("you
feel like a new woman!") and dropped his level from 12 to 11, and his
STR-DEX-CON from 18/01-18-18 to 18-16-17. What's worse, after almost
5000 turns, the change appears to be permanent. WTF? This is the kind of
random BS that pisses me off about this game.

anon wrote:

> WTF? This is the kind of random BS that pisses me off about this game.

For me, this is the kind of stuff that makes me come back to NetHack
over and over again, even after long breaks of three days without it.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

On 23 Jul 2005 15:05:23 GMT
anon <anon@anon.com> wrote:
>Yeah, I suppose for veteran players like you, stuff like this is a fun
>"surprise." And I realize the game is designed so that, with enough
>patience and ingenuity (neither of which I possess), a solution can be
>found for whatever the RNG throws at you (note to RNG: I've got a "final
>solution" for you, too, called a "hard drive format," you punk bitch)
>But after about 50,000 different YASDs, I certainly don't need or want
>any more surprises.
You are making me wish this group was moderated.

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

anon <anon@anon.com> wrote in news:42e25cb3$0$8631$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

> Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@removethisword.home.nl> wrote:
>
>> For me, this is the kind of stuff that makes me come back to NetHack
>> over and over again, even after long breaks of three days without it.
>
> Yeah, I suppose for veteran players like you, stuff like this is a fun
> "surprise." And I realize the game is designed so that, with enough
> patience and ingenuity (neither of which I possess), a solution can be
> found for whatever the RNG throws at you (note to RNG: I've got a "final
> solution" for you, too, called a "hard drive format," you punk bitch)
> But after about 50,000 different YASDs, I certainly don't need or want
> any more surprises.

I don't know how spoiled you want to be, so here's a little hint for you:

V arire unir ceboyrzf jvgu cbylzbecu gencf orpnhfr V gel gb trg zntvp
erfvfgnapr nf rneyl nf cbffvoyr. Vg jvyy znxr lbh vzzhar gb cbylzbecu
gencf.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

anon wrote:
> Hit a polymorph trap despite having automatic search, searching twice
> per square, and maxed luck, which turned my samurai into a woman ("you
> feel like a new woman!") and dropped his level from 12 to 11, and his
> STR-DEX-CON from 18/01-18-18 to 18-16-17. What's worse, after almost
> 5000 turns, the change appears to be permanent. WTF? This is the kind of
> random BS that pisses me off about this game.

None of those things are particularly important, and all but the
Strength will improve over time without any particular attention to
them. To fix the Strength, chow down on some giants... even one will
boost you well past your old value.

Hey, look on the bright side... you could've turned into
something large and broken your armor.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

John Campbell <jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com> wrote in news:zVtEe.2101$sc3.1908
@trnddc07:

> anon wrote:
>> Hit a polymorph trap despite having automatic search, searching twice
>> per square, and maxed luck, which turned my samurai into a woman ("you
>> feel like a new woman!") and dropped his level from 12 to 11, and his
>> STR-DEX-CON from 18/01-18-18 to 18-16-17. What's worse, after almost
>> 5000 turns, the change appears to be permanent. WTF? This is the kind of
>> random BS that pisses me off about this game.
>
> None of those things are particularly important, and all but the
> Strength will improve over time without any particular attention to
> them. To fix the Strength, chow down on some giants... even one will
> boost you well past your old value.

Not true, strength does improve over time, especially if you've been
pushing boulders around.

--

On 7/23/05 4:09 AM, anon wrote:
> Hit a polymorph trap despite having automatic search, searching twice
> per square, and maxed luck, which turned my samurai into a woman ("you
> feel like a new woman!") and dropped his level from 12 to 11, and his
> STR-DEX-CON from 18/01-18-18 to 18-16-17. What's worse, after almost
> 5000 turns, the change appears to be permanent. WTF? This is the kind of
> random BS that pisses me off about this game.

Good. Go away.

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:07:05 +0200
Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Don't do Ludios without reflection (or at least MR); the probabilities
>are far too high there for the proverbial creature with a wand of death.

Or bury yourself in the wall as a xorn.

Cyde Weys wrote:
> anon <anon@anon.com> wrote:
>> Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@removethisword.home.nl> wrote:

>>> [ involuntary player polymorph ]

>>> For me, this is the kind of stuff that makes me come back to NetHack
>>> over and over again, even after long breaks of three days without
>>> it.

>> Yeah, I suppose for veteran players like you, stuff like this is a
>> fun "surprise." And I realize the game is designed so that, with
>> enough patience and ingenuity (neither of which I possess), a
>> solution can be found for whatever the RNG throws at you (note to
>> RNG: I've got a "final solution" for you, too, called a "hard drive
>> format," you punk bitch) But after about 50,000 different YASDs, I
>> certainly don't need or want any more surprises.

Calm down! :)

All that happened was that you lost one measly level. Nothing to really
complain about, I think...

> I don't know how spoiled you want to be, so here's a little hint for
> you:

Well, he played at least 50,000 games (not counting the ones where he
did *not* die a horrible YASD), so I guess he already knows the spoilers
by heart.

> V arire unir ceboyrzf jvgu cbylzbecu gencf orpnhfr V gel gb trg zntvp
> erfvfgnapr nf rneyl nf cbffvoyr. Vg jvyy znxr lbh vzzhar gb cbylzbecu
> gencf.

I guess we all *try* that. That doesn't mean that we're lucky enough to
succeed every time, in time.

My latest barbarian (deceased) was level 15 without having either the MR
you mention *or* reflection *or* a blindfold. He was doubting to try for
Ludios first, or Medusa, or the Quest. He eventually opted for Ludios,
where the proverbial captain with the wand of death killed him.

This time, it wasn't the lack of MR that killed him, but the lack of
reflection (and the impossibility to continue past Medusa, combined with
the consideration that the Castle would be even harder).
--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in news:dbtv8f
$hgg$1@news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

> Cyde Weys wrote:

>> I don't know how spoiled you want to be, so here's a little hint for
>> you:
>
> Well, he played at least 50,000 games (not counting the ones where he
> did *not* die a horrible YASD), so I guess he already knows the spoilers
> by heart.

50K games? Seriously? That is ... rather crazy. Has he Ascended yet?

--

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> My latest barbarian (deceased) was level 15 without having either the MR
> you mention *or* reflection *or* a blindfold. He was doubting to try for
> Ludios first, or Medusa, or the Quest. He eventually opted for Ludios,
> where the proverbial captain with the wand of death killed him.

Don't do Ludios without reflection (or at least MR); the probabilities
are far too high there for the proverbial creature with a wand of death.

> This time, it wasn't the lack of MR that killed him,

MR would also have helped against the wand of death.

> but the lack of
> reflection (and the impossibility to continue past Medusa, combined with
> the consideration that the Castle would be even harder).

Janis

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

> Well, he played at least 50,000 games (not counting the
> ones where he did *not* die a horrible YASD), so I guess
> he already knows the spoilers by heart.

Or perhaps he had one *really long* game with a lot of amulets of
life-saving.

P.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

anon <anon@anon.com> wrote in

> Hit a polymorph trap despite having automatic search, searching twice
> per square, and maxed luck, which turned my samurai into a woman ("you
> feel like a new woman!") and dropped his level from 12 to 11, and his
> STR-DEX-CON from 18/01-18-18 to 18-16-17. What's worse, after almost
> 5000 turns, the change appears to be permanent. WTF? This is the kind of
> random BS that pisses me off about this game.

Try checking 10 times every three squares when doing that. I THINK that gives
you better than 50% odds at that dex, but perhaps a code diver MAY be good
enough to still help...

Cyde Weys wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in news:dbtv8f
> $hgg$1@news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:
>
>>Well, he played at least 50,000 games (not counting the ones where he
>>did *not* die a horrible YASD), so I guess he already knows the spoilers
>>by heart.
>
> 50K games? Seriously?

Over a time interval of 10 years that would be 14 games a day, if he would
have played every day. Decide yourself.

> That is ... rather crazy.

Or just exaggeration for emphasis.

> Has he Ascended yet?

Janis

He wrote:

> But after about 50,000 different YASDs, I certainly don't need or want
> any more surprises.

:)

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Cyde Weys wrote:

> John Campbell <jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com> wrote in news:zVtEe.2101$sc3.1908
> @trnddc07:
>
> > anon wrote:
> >> Hit a polymorph trap despite having automatic search, searching twice
> >> per square, and maxed luck, which turned my samurai into a woman ("you
> >> feel like a new woman!") and dropped his level from 12 to 11, and his
> >> STR-DEX-CON from 18/01-18-18 to 18-16-17. What's worse, after almost
> >> 5000 turns, the change appears to be permanent. WTF? This is the kind of
> >> random BS that pisses me off about this game.
> >
> > None of those things are particularly important, and all but the
> > Strength will improve over time without any particular attention to
> > them. To fix the Strength, chow down on some giants... even one will
> > boost you well past your old value.
>
> Not true, strength does improve over time, especially if you've been
> pushing boulders around.

Not over 18, iirc.

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote in

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Cyde Weys wrote:

>> Not true, strength does improve over time, especially if you've been
>> pushing boulders around.
>
> Not over 18, iirc.

Oh, well yes.

--

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Paul E Collins wrote:

> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>
> > Well, he played at least 50,000 games (not counting the
> > ones where he did *not* die a horrible YASD), so I guess
> > he already knows the spoilers by heart.
>
> Or perhaps he had one *really long* game with a lot of amulets of
> life-saving.

nethack -D
^W
You may wish for an object
50 000 blessed fixed amulets of life saving.

Darn ! They're not stackable...

for i=1 to 50000 do
echo "blessed fixed amulet of life saving" > .wizkit
done

I guess I would manage to be killed twice without taking time to put the
next one...
(plus one would need a BoH to store all thoses amulets, actually many BoH
since 50000 AoLS stil weight 1M, which is a lot even in a BoH)

--

Paul E Collins wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>
>>Well, he played at least 50,000 games (not counting the
>>ones where he did *not* die a horrible YASD), so I guess
>>he already knows the spoilers by heart.
>
> Or perhaps he had one *really long* game with a lot of amulets of
> life-saving.

Wasn't there a limit for the number of objects (as it exist with
the maximum number of monsters [in the normal creation process])?

So you might find N (N=121 ?) amulets, and wish for another 2*N+x,
where x is the number of wishes from fountains, smoky potions,
thrones, which are also bounded. Are there other means of amulet
generation?

Janis

Cyde Weys wrote:
> John Campbell <jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com> wrote in news:zVtEe.2101$sc3.1908
> @trnddc07:
>
> > anon wrote:
> >> [dropped his] STR-DEX-CON from 18/01-18-18 to 18-16-17.
> >
> > None of those things are particularly important, and all but the
> > Strength will improve over time

> Not true, strength does improve over time, especially if you've been
> pushing boulders around.

His STR will not improve from pushing around boulders.

Spoiler...
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Boulders can improve STR up to 18, but not above it.

Beyond 18, tins of spinach, potions of gain ability, or eating giant
corpses and royal jelly will improve the strength (and I think magic
traps and fountains can, too). Royal jelly is always only 1 point,
while giant corpses will improve it by more, so save the royal jelly
that you find until you're pretty high.

Obviously gauntlets of power may be helpful, too, if spellcasting isn't
an issue.

Quoting anon <anon@anon.com>:
>Hit a polymorph trap despite having automatic search, searching twice
>per square, and maxed luck, which turned my samurai into a woman ("you
>feel like a new woman!") and dropped his level from 12 to 11, and his
>STR-DEX-CON from 18/01-18-18 to 18-16-17. What's worse, after almost
>5000 turns, the change appears to be permanent. WTF?

You do seem to be overreacting rather to a pretty trivial setback.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Gaiman, July - a public holiday.

David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Quoting anon <anon@anon.com>:
> >Hit a polymorph trap despite having automatic search, searching twice
> >per square, and maxed luck, which turned my samurai into a woman ("you
> >feel like a new woman!") and dropped his level from 12 to 11, and his
> >STR-DEX-CON from 18/01-18-18 to 18-16-17. What's worse, after almost
> >5000 turns, the change appears to be permanent. WTF?
>
> You do seem to be overreacting rather to a pretty trivial setback.

Setback? He can now polymorph and lay eggs. More than worth the
miniscule losses in stats and experience, in my experience.

Best,
Jakob