problem with installation

G

every time i want to install win xp with the installation cd the follwing thing happens: installation begins quite normal but after some time, exactly at that point where only 32 minutes are left, the monitor turns black, first i thought it is because no mouse is moved but the second time i moved the mouse to avoid a black screen but the same thing happened, after the black screen i turned the monitor off,
anyone knows a solution for that or had had the same thing
?

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
The time for instalation is different from Pc to PC, so 32 min left means nothing. It can be either a bad sector on the CD (happens sometimes) and the instalation crashes, or a problem when xp install checks your hardware. U should try to load fail safe default from Bios, and then try to install xp again. But first check the cd (copy it on the hdd)
GL

G

i did not find something like fail safe in bios, i copied the cd it seems to be ok cause there were no interruption or alert while copying. but i found video off: standby i changed that to video off:na
i ll try again now hope it works this time
thx for helping

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Spend 30 minutes and install winME, if there are no errors, upgrade to XP, if there are errors (like "blah blah.exe coased an error, or blah blah.dll did the same thing") than you have bad drive (sectors).

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

G

@khha4113
no at that point the monitor turned black, the red light which indicates that the hd is writing or reading which was blinking before stopped...
does it mean there is something wrong with the hd..
linux installation works well
@blah
i ll try that
thx

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When the monitor turned black, was Windows still copying files from CD (you'd have seen the progress bar at low left corner) or setting up your system? Sometimes, when it is setting up OS, the monitor might be turn black for a few seconds then turn back on.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.