PIII 1G, Does it work on BX chipset (Asus P2B-S) ?

G

Anyone here tested a PIII 1000MHZ (100MHz FSB) Slot1 to work on a BX chipset ? I have an older Celeron 300A (overclocked to 450) that works fine it looks "aged" and
thought to freshen it up... The MoBo is Asus P2B-S rev 1.o3, Bios rev 1012, and I see that the jumpered multipliers go only up to 5x. Or it does not matter?

Thanks for any replies and advice !

According to the webpage (URL below) the multiplyers go up to 6 with the jumpers.

I can't find a 100MHz version of the PIII 600 but I found a 133MHz version. Perhaps you can use that at 100 x 6 = 600MHz.

Honestly, at the prices of slot 1 CPUs I'd save a bit and get a socket 370 mobo & CPU. This was what I found out:

" **** The following motherboards only support Intel® CeleronTM FCPGA CPU in the later shipment of the same PCB version. Please contact our resellers for more detailed information.

P2B-S **** R1.04 / 1013.004 or later."

Perhaps these BIOS might be worth a look. Here is the URL for the bus/multiplyers settings.

<A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/products/Motherboard/Pentiumpro/P2b-s/jumper.html" target="_new">http://www.asus.com.tw/products/Motherboard/Pentiumpro/P2b-s/jumper.html</A>

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

G

Hey, Thanks! The manual that I got for that same board
(Asus must have updated the site since I downloaded last time) did not mention PIII at all!

Thanks for your sound advice for the AMD, but I have done this already, my main machine now is an A7V tBirb800-->1000
and that's fast enough, but I thought I give a second chance
to my old P2B Slot1, mobo that also has a nice on board
Ultra2 SCSI and upgrade this to 1000MHz if possible.

I found a Slot1 1000MHz PIII cpu which is sub-$250 but I could wait and it might drop more.
The question now is: as I see multipliers only up to 6x
will it work at 10x (10x100=1000MHz) ?
I believe these over 650Mhz CPUs are multiplier locked and use their own internal multiplier (10x). Is this correct?

http://www.asus.com.tw/products/Motherboard/Pentiumpro/P2b-s/jumper.html

What about overcklocking it a little too? e.g. run the FSB at 112MHz. Will that work too ?

Well I think I'll try all these myself but just before buying that CPU I thought I'd get some input from someone that has already done it or thinks that is not going to work...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are TWO versions of the PIII 1000, the 1000E (a special CPU for upgrades recently released) and a 1000EB (the regular CPU). The special 1000E operates at 10x100. The ordinary 1000EB operates at 7.5x133. YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE MULTIPLIER IT IS INTERNALLY LOCKED! Therefor, the ordinary 1000EB would run at only 750 on your motherboard (7.5x100 instead of 7.5x133). You must buy the much more expensive 1000E to get the 10x multiplier needed. This is not the case with all BX motherboards, as some do support 133FSB, but yours does not!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

GET A MOTHERBOARD-CPU COMBO FOR ABOUT $230. A CHEAP MOTHERBOARD WILL NOT OVERCLOCK, BUT WITH A 1 GHTZ CPU, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO OVERCLOCK MUCH ANYWAY. YOU MAY ALSO NEED PC133 MEMORY, AVAILABLE FOR AS LITTLE AS $20.