Suggestion: stethoscope

Hi,

I think a stethoscope should show only physical attibutes, no mental
ones (like your alignment value). After all, it's a mundane item, not a
magical one.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I think a stethoscope should show only physical attibutes, no mental
>ones (like your alignment value). After all, it's a mundane item, not a
>magical one.

Please take a moment to smoke a eucalyptus leaf and reflect (amulet not
required) on the nature of Nethack. Realism does not appear to be how
Nethack is designed; and, I for one like the bit of illogical behaviour
and whimsy. Determining piety with a stethoscope is no more realistic
than determining hit points. If you consider Nethack as an alternate
universe where a measure of ones piety is a normal as measuring one's
cholesterol in our universe, I think the stethoscope is just fine.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think a stethoscope should show only physical attibutes, no mental
> ones (like your alignment value). After all, it's a mundane item, not a
> magical one.

Maybe most of us in RL are unwittingly using cursed ones.

--
Kevin Wayne

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."
-- Prufrock

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Gary Olson <garyolson@pobox.NOSPAM.com> wrote in

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I think a stethoscope should show only physical attibutes, no mental
>>ones (like your alignment value). After all, it's a mundane item, not a
>>magical one.
>>
> Please take a moment to smoke a eucalyptus leaf and reflect (amulet not
> required) on the nature of Nethack. Realism does not appear to be how
> Nethack is designed; and, I for one like the bit of illogical behaviour
> and whimsy. Determining piety with a stethoscope is no more realistic
> than determining hit points. If you consider Nethack as an alternate
> universe where a measure of ones piety is a normal as measuring one's
> cholesterol in our universe, I think the stethoscope is just fine.

On top of which, I can't think of any other safe way of determining piety, A
VERY important factor in the early game I'm sure you'll agree...

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Gary Olson wrote:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I think a stethoscope should show only physical attibutes, no mental
> >ones (like your alignment value). After all, it's a mundane item, not a
> >magical one.
> >
> Please take a moment to smoke a eucalyptus leaf and reflect (amulet not
> required) on the nature of Nethack. Realism does not appear to be how
> Nethack is designed; and, I for one like the bit of illogical behaviour
> and whimsy. Determining piety with a stethoscope is no more realistic
> than determining hit points. If you consider Nethack as an alternate
> universe where a measure of ones piety is a normal as measuring one's
> cholesterol in our universe, I think the stethoscope is just fine.

I never though one could use a stethoscope to measure one's cholesterol.
:)

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Kevin Wayne wrote:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think a stethoscope should show only physical attibutes, no mental
> > ones (like your alignment value). After all, it's a mundane item, not a
> > magical one.
>
> Maybe most of us in RL are unwittingly using cursed ones.

Nest time I'll go to church, I'll had to take a stethoscope with me and
try dropping it on the altar.
(and then I'll never be invited again to a wedding...)

--

Jym wrote:
> Nest time I'll go to church, I'll had to take a stethoscope with me and
> try dropping it on the altar.

Please let us know if there is a flash of light, regardless of the color.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, chuck wrote:

> Gary Olson <garyolson@pobox.NOSPAM.com> wrote in
>
> > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I think a stethoscope should show only physical attibutes, no mental
> >>ones (like your alignment value). After all, it's a mundane item, not a
> >>magical one.
> >>
> > Please take a moment to smoke a eucalyptus leaf and reflect (amulet not
> > required) on the nature of Nethack. Realism does not appear to be how
> > Nethack is designed; and, I for one like the bit of illogical behaviour
> > and whimsy. Determining piety with a stethoscope is no more realistic
> > than determining hit points. If you consider Nethack as an alternate
> > universe where a measure of ones piety is a normal as measuring one's
> > cholesterol in our universe, I think the stethoscope is just fine.
>
> On top of which, I can't think of any other safe way of determining piety, A
> VERY important factor in the early game I'm sure you'll agree...

Slash'em has mood ring for thatpurpose.
OTOH, I never felt the need to check my alignement, I more or less know
how not to harm it and by the time it's really needed (quest), there is no
more trouble with it.
I don't recall alignement ever being an issue for me.

--

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>>
>>I think a stethoscope should show only physical attibutes, no mental
>>ones (like your alignment value). After all, it's a mundane item, not a
>>magical one.
>
> Maybe most of us in RL are unwittingly using cursed ones.

LOL - that would explain a lot! :)

Janis