Windows 7 image deployment

timmertimmer

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hey everyone,

I have some basic questions on Win 7 image deployment.

If I had 500 host spread across a company that I just needed the standard image deployed to, what would be the most sensible way to deploy them? Sets of 50?

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Just bookmarking this as I've been reading up about WIM files and the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit recently so I'm interested in the answer.

I've never seen anything relating to a limit on how many you can do at once but I would be tempted to do them in batches as it's easier to monitor if anything goes wrong.

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
First off, you will want to plan for your deployment. Typically speaking, this means setting up a lab and doing a pilot before pushing an image out to all your systems. From the embedded link above which points to the plan for your Windows 7 deployment page of the Springboard Series on TechNet, you will find a link to the Proof of Concept Jumpstart Kit v3.0. I highly recommend starting with the kit in a controlled environment prior to jumping into the full environment deployment. You also might want to read How to Start a Windows 7 Pilot Deployment which offers some key best practices for each phase during your deployment.

Next, you will want to select your deployment tools. There are a few you could choose from. Casper1973 already mentioned the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) which is my first choice for recommending as well. First off, MDT is entirely free and can be downloaded from the Deliver and Deploy Windows 7 page, also from the Springboard Series on TechNet. The nice thing about MDT is it can handle all of your deployments in one simple console. You can easily add drivers, applications and required tasks based on the imported images and hardware models you use in your specific environment. You can even tie MDT into Windows Deployment Services (WDS) if you wish to perform your image deployment via PXE boot or with the multicasting feature.

A few videos that have proven to be good and insightful precursors can be found below. These videos will also demonstrate how to use the above mentioned tools:

Alphabet Soup Deployment: Understanding MDT, WDS, MAP, ACT, SCCM, and USMT
Deployment Day Session 1: Introduction to MDT 2012
Deployment Day Session 2: MDT 2012 Advanced
Deployment Day Session 3: Deployment using WDS

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out with questions!

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro